back to article Governments probe domain land-snatch: many.gTLDs.suck

Governments have started to put ICANN's massive top-level domain name expansion under scrutiny, after the revelation of 1,930 applications for new naming suffixes two weeks ago. During sessions here at ICANN's 44th public meeting in Prague, government representatives have raised their eyebrows over several types of application …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Callam McMillan
    Unhappy

What a disaster

I think there was a serious case for adding additional rules to the application process. Namely where the gTLD is a generic term such as .blog or .music then they must allow others to register second level domains via them and must release trademarked names, so if Google get .music then they would be required to let Apple register itunes.music

With something like .patagonia, it's a little less clear. However I don't think it will mean much in the end as I would still be using the .com and .co.uk addresses. It will be funny telling someone to go to google.google or the like though!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a disaster

I don't see why anyone should be forced to allow another company to use the gTLD it has paid for and wishes to lawfully use.

It would be a bit like saying the owner of .music.com should allow others to subdomain because it was a generic term (in the days before these new gTLDs were thought up)- why?

They could obviously be stopped from registering and using itunes.music themselves due to current trademark laws but they shouldn't have to allow others to use them.

1. Peter Murphy
        FAIL

Not OK Computer

I don't see why anyone should be forced to allow another company to use the gTLD it has paid for and wishes to lawfully use.

Well, that's going to make the expanded domain system unusable.

Consider ".music" - in particular, the hypothetical domain of "radiohead.music". Who should use it? In a just world, it should be used by Thom Yorke and other people in the band. But who else could use "radiohead.music"? Only those companies foolhardy enough to face trademark infringement and domain squatting lawsuits. We see that the value of owning "xyzw.music" is negative if you aren't the actual musical outfit xyzw. And even if you are the music outfit xyzw, it is quite trivial to set up a xyzw.com | .co.uk | .com.au domain anyway. For example Radiohead has radiohead.com for all their fans.

The gTLD system is nonsense, and expensive nonsense as well.

2. Tom 38

In other news

Pope Catholic.

Bears defecate in arboreal climes.

What were they expecting? All ICANN were asked to do was to keep control of the names of things on the internet, but instead they've sold off DNS to the highest bidder. Got to pay for that lifestyle somehow…

3. graeme leggett Silver badge

Not all bad for ICANN

Rather than have to take the blame for certain decisions about approval, they can cite cultural sensitivities and turn them down.

Oh, and keep the application fee.

Trebles all round.

4. IT Hack
    Pint

It incredible that ICANN has managed to screw up as much as it has over the years. Well not really but I thought I'd point out the obvious to those who thought this latest endeavour was well conceived, documented, communicated and managed. Well I guess it does boil down to the last bit...managed. Oh right...let the gravy train continue because reality has no bearing on anything ICANN does right?

Pint coz its bloody Friday.

5. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Stupid

I can't even begin to enumerate how stupid all this is and how badly ICANN are managing it.

The plebs and small businesses will forever be plebeian.co.uk while the Fat Cats have anything.fatcats

Has Amazon also bidded for .amazon (Brazil might not be happy?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stupid

I dunno about you, but I've always felt that .com (and, to a lesser extent, .co.uk) is a vastly more valuable suffix than .whatever, because it implies "website". I certainly cannot see the point of all these dot-verbose vanity domains... "patagonia.com" is not only clearly a website to the vast majority of web users, but its also a fair bit quicker to type in than almost anything at .patagonia is likely to be.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Hmm... so command.com was a website? I thought it was a shell to a quick and dirty operating system.

Mine's the one with the PC-DOS 7 floppies in the pocket.

2. Ole Juul

I certainly cannot see the point of all these dot-verbose vanity domains...

I agree that the common TLDs are probably better. In fact they might become more desirable after all the "dot verbose" ones take effect. In fact the long ones might be a liability because, unlike dot com, one can filter them out with a possible worthwhile result.

@Stuart Longland: I just checked, and command.com is taken. However, I'm looking forward to a new .exe TLD.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I if they'll reject my bids for...

.domain, .icann, and .couldntorganiseaclusterfuckinawhorehouse?

1. Gannon (J.) Dick

Re: I if they'll reject my bids for...

It was the commas and question mark at the end, Fats.

For some reason I think icann.ucan24185k is a winner

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

.where .is .the .popcorn .questionmark

This is of course entirely unexpected, and nobody could have predicted it. Especially not after the stellar ICANN performance during registration and the rulemaking process preceding it. Turns out treating TLDs like really expensive flatspace causes tribbles in the system. How quaint.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Patagonia

They speak Welsh in Patagonia. Perhaps the Argentinians could be persuaded to use patagonia.wales instead. To seal the deal we could throw in malvinas.falklands for free.

9. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

"Governments have started...

"...to put ICANN's massive top-level domain name expansion under scrutiny..."

Well, bravo, but it's a bit bloody late, isn't it? People were warning about the potential (probable) debacle this would turn into when it was first proposed, but only now the horse is well and truly over the horizon are the Governments thinking of bolting the stable door!

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: "Governments have started...

It's not late at all. Money has been harvested from the gullible and now the governments will stick an oar or two in the process and none of the domains will ever be granted.

What's not to like?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: "Governments have started...

Yeah, I once had a boss who is now probably an advisor for ICANN based on this cock up.

He had me labelled as a trouble maker because I would point out the flaws in his plans so we could eliminate/workaround/plan for when things didn't go to plan. His attitude was "full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes!".

Of course, he didn't have to man the pumps when the silver fish breached the hull.

10. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Disney?

I wonder who will get .disney?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_Disney

11. John Savard

Difference

This does make me uncomfortable, but is there a big difference between one telescope company owning telescope.com or one owning .telescope ?

But it does change what domains are for.

12. PyLETS
    Boffin

Time to change ICANN governance

Now that ICANN have screwed up big time is the time to bring them under ITU/UN management. The ITU manage global telephony country codes, and would never have attempted to pollute this namespace for private profit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like