back to article IBM chiefs order pay freeze at US services tentacle

The employees at the Global Technology Services unit of Big Blue got some unwelcome but probably not unexpected news that there would not be a broad-based salary increase at the unit this year. There are also reports that IBM has frozen salaries of higher-level executives across the company, which the company has not confirmed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One of the reasons I left

Good results constantly being crowed about... But then no money for pay rises. My poor ex-colleagues had to endure a great email from the UK GM or some such saying they had record results etc. Closely followed by another email from an apparatchik further down the food chain saying sorry no pay rises as we are so poor.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surest way to watch people leave quickly...

Ok...

So business is booming outside of the US for IBM.

(Hint: You onshore a resource or use remote administration, the revenues stay off US shores. So a client in Atlanta GA will hire IBM who uses a resource in India. Rev Rec takes a portion to IBM India for the body.)

So if you freeze salaries in US , at RTP, you can bet people in RTP will walk as the US market heats up for some skills.

Those who can leave will, leaving the lesser skilled employees to make up the gap.

Got to love IBM and their bean counter overlords.

1. ScottME
      Devil

Re: Surest way to watch people leave quickly...

But that is surely a large part of the reasoning behind the pay freeze. The more people who leaver voluntarily as a result of actions like this, the less redundancy payouts or unfair dismissal claims they company has to stump up for.

3. cashback
    Devil

Greedy execs at the trough...

Same old story, no money for salary increases but enough in the coffers to spunk billions of dollars buying back their own stock to boost the EPS ratio, which the execs bonuses are tied to.

Bitter, moi ?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No pay rises for the execs?

What they'll do is move the execs out (then give them pay rises in the new organisation) then replace them with execs who have had pay rises (before thy move)

Therefore no execs get a payrise while they're in the function

Cynical? Me?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, I feel soooo sorry

for them US IBMers... no pay rise?

There haven't been "broad-base" payrises in IBM UK since FSM-knows-how-long. The US people get paid well better than their European counterparts for the same (crappy) jobs, so boohoohoo

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, I feel soooo sorry

IBM are not the only US company with this pay philosophy. The "top" execs couldn't care less about the salaries they get; they are more interested in the share options... and ofc, only they get share options.

6. jukejoint
    Facepalm

"Dough" Shelton? Really?

Or is it supposed to be 'Doug'? If it really is 'Dough', then the poor flatliners must feel tormented indeed.

(Icon for homonymous reasons...)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like