back to article Mad fan-fitted mouse keeps mitts moisture-free

Suffer from excessively sweaty palms when you're gaming on your PC? Accessory maker Thermaltake has a - rather bizarre, IMHO - answer: a mouse with its own tiny clip-on fan. The Thermaltake Black Element Cyclone Gaming Mouse blows a gentle breeze over a player's hand, thanks to its detachable USB-powered air cooler. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TechnicianJack
    Trollface

Can't say I'm a big FAN of this idea!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Some thing's should never be made!

I had to check it wasn't April the 1st

1. LarsG

Frozen wrist syndrome, I feel a claim coming on!

2. Greg J Preece

Inelegant. Surely a better solution would be to have the fan mounted inside the mouse, and the skin made grille-like. Also, that's got to affect weight distribution. That would annoy some gamers I know quite a bit.

1. Annihilator
      Paris Hilton

Agreed! I don't recall the *back* of my hand ever getting sweaty while using a mouse.

3. teebie

Creating a draught over the hand and wrist?

Surely that will increase the risk of RSI?

4. Majid

If you'r pro.....

You could be fragging and nail clipping at the same time!

5. AF
    FAIL

Bad implementation of an old idea

Fan-cooled mice (and gamepads) have been around for a good five years or so, and have all been done with the fan inside the device so the palm is cooled - which makes sense, as it's the palm that can get sweaty.

This is a gimmick, and any gamer with a) sense or b) self-respect will avoid it - the weight will be off, there'll be a pendulum effect, and cold/draughty fingernails are not as enjoyable as the manufacturer thinks.

I can see this being bought as a gift by a well-meaning friend/partner, but anyone who plays long enough to get sweaty palms will avoid this.

As a bit of PR, though, it's sort of worked - I'd never heard of this company before, but then I've promptly forgotten their name and just remembered that it's a terrible product.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: Bad implementation of an old idea

Thermaltake. I've heard of them before. They make fans and powersupplies.

So I have to wonder if this is really a mouse with a fan attached, or if it's actually a fan with a mouse attached.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

@Pirate Dave -- here, let me reword that for you:

"Thermaltake. I've heard of them before. They make shit."

There, much better.

Seriously, nobody who considers themselves either a "serious gamer" or an "enthusiast" would give the steam off their piss for TT products.

Remember kids: "Friends don't let friends buy Thermaltake".

As for the mouse... o.O

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
          Pirate

Never said I liked them, only that I've heard of them. I'm a Delta fan fanboi, and prefer PC Power & Cooling for my power supplies.

6. ukgnome
    Joke

I believe it also comes with a catheter and can of energy drink

7. Ketlan
    Devil

I suggest hardcore gamers keep a container of liquid nitrogen nearby in case of sweaty emergencies. A quick dip in that will solve all sweat problems for the immediate future.

1. Charles 9

Totally useless for gamers. They still have to be able to move their digits to click the buttons. A dip in liquid nitro is known to have deleterious effects on joint mobility. And as ice water would not be advised in an electrical environment, perhaps the best course would be dry ice covered in some insulation so that you don't get frostbite on contact?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

A very brief dip wouldn't cause any problems, the nitrogen forms a momentary vapour layer as it boils off from the heat of your skin, which allows for silly party tricks.

2. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

<gasp!> Really?! <shocked!>

Charles 9 quipped:

"Totally useless for gamers. They still have to be able to move their digits to click the buttons. A dip in liquid nitro is known to have deleterious effects on joint mobility. And as ice water would not be advised in an electrical environment, perhaps the best course would be dry ice covered in some insulation so that you don't get frostbite on contact?"

Well, thanks for that safety tip! And there was I just just about to dunk my head in a vat of liquid nitrogen on this warm day to cool down.

I can't actually decide if you're the world's most deadpan troll or just stultifyingly devoid of any sense of irony. You' wouldn't happen to be a A Murrican would you?

1. Charles 9

Re: <gasp!> Really?! <shocked!>

Yes, I'm American, and yes I was serious. Think Murphy's Law and the Foolproof Folly. Whatever can go wrong will go wrong, and nothing is foolproof enough to withstand a better fool. If you're gonna cool your hand (and I have personal experience with sweaty hands trying to handle devices on a hot summer day), do it safely.

BTW, as to the subject of the mouse, perhaps that mouse was trying to cool the fingers, which would make sense since sweaty fingertips may slide off the mouse buttons without clicking them.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's probably the other hand getting sweaty not the mouse hand.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh, stop. Not ALL hardcore gamers are wankers!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just most...

2. Openminded Cynic

Not at all. Some of them are female.

1. myarse
          Boffin

And women don't wank?

1. Steven Roper
            Coat

And women don't wank?

It's not really biologically possible. Women "shick", I think the term is...!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disappointed

From the headline, I was expecting a mad science experiment involving fans strapped to live mice (the rodent, not the electronic device).

10. John A Blackley

Limited Use

That tiny little fan won't do much for the sweaty-palmed, greasy, Doritos-diet gamer crowd.

11. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Is this a mouse incorporating a USB hub then?

That... might be useful. For something.

More LED lights, that one on a flexible stalk?

Desktop vacuum cleaner?

Speakers?

1. Charles 9

Re: Is this a mouse incorporating a USB hub then?

Not the mouse. It's too mobile. However, I personally possess a keyboard with a USB hub on it (two ports), and the mouse is attached to it. Kinda makes you miss the days of daisy-chain buses. But this is the next best thing. I'd attach headphones to it, but it's high-draw and not suitable for a bus-powered hub.

12. cosymart
    Happy

What we need is a touch pad/mouse mat

If someone could produce a mouse mat size touch pad we wouldn't need a mouse at all - Any takers? Oh and I own the copyright. 20% of all sale would do nicely :-)

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: What we need is a touch pad/mouse mat

Aren't there lots of those? Well, there's software to make an iPad do it, apparently. Good luck asserting your intellectual proberty rights against Apple!

13. Ilgaz

Just wait

I really wonder if they missed the "emergency room evil lawyer" factor in USA.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like