back to article Multimillion-pound hoard of 50BC GOLD PIECES found in Jersey

Two tenacious metal-detector enthusiasts have unearthed a record hoard of Iron Age coins in a field in Jersey. Conservation work starts on Iron Age coin hoard Credit: Jersey Heritage Reg Mead and Richard Miles went over the same area with their detectors over and over again for the last 30 years before finally finding …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. horsham_sparky
    Joke

dammit!

I knew I left them somewhere! :-p

Guess this is the early version of loosing your change down the back of sofa :-)

1. Captain DaFt

Re: dammit!

Thus the real implications of this find; the site of the world's oldest couch!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ahhh Jersey

Helping the rich with tax avoidance for over 2000 years

1. thenim
      Thumb Up

Re: Ahhh Jersey

oh c'mon, who doesn't have a sense of humour!!!

3. Paul Renault

If only...

...that had been a multimillion-pound hoard, instead of a multimillion-pound hoard... It would really have been a sterling find!

Oh well.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whoever it's determined actually 'owns' this find, if it's worth £10m I would hope that the 2 guys that actually made the discovery come out of it with at least £1m each - they did the right thing when it would have been very easy just to dig it up and sell it illegally. That sort of thing deserves to be rewarded.

1. NightFox

Agree with the sentiment, but there's a big difference between what a find is 'worth', and that money actually becoming real enough to give someone, especially if you're putting the hoard on display. I somehow doubt that Jersey Heritage will have a couple of million in their slush fund as a 'thank you'.

2. Andy Fletcher

"deserves to be rewarded"

If a free pass to the local museum is worth more to them than a yacht, private jet and Veyron, then I guess they will be. I'm pretty sure I don't get it.

5. joeW
    Thumb Up

Fair play to the two lads.

6. Matthew Smith

Good find

So thats where the RBS backup got to.

7. James Hughes 1

Searching over the same field for 30 years?

What made them do that? Or have I misread?

1. horsham_sparky
      Alert

Re: Searching over the same field for 30 years?

maybe someone saw a leprechaun and they were searching for his pot'o'gold..

guess they found it :-)

1. Craig 28
        Trollface

Or perhaps they're a gay version of Howard and Marina from Last of the Summer Wine? What could be more innocuous than two friends innocently probing a field in search of ancient artifacts. And I don't mean Marina.

2. Piers

Apparently farmers had been finding the odd coin in the area for some time - so they kept going over it in case there was a larger stash there somewhere. And so there was...

3. Steve Evans
      Joke

It's only a small island and you can't dig the rocky bits.

4. ldm
      IT Angle

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-18579875 for more details.

1. Trokair 1
        Coat

Soil actually shifts over time giving you the ability to find things one year that you couldn't the previous with a metal detector.

Mines the one with the Garrets Pro Pointer and White's manual in the pocket.

5. Paul Bruneau

As a former metal detector enthusiast, I can tell you that one can go over a particular area many times and find new items each time. The varying moisture level of the soil, the randomness of how one swings the detector, and probably the huge size of the area ensures that new finds are always being found.

Of course, here in the states, we don't find things such as this--we are happy to find a 1950's silver dime!

8. ukgnome
    Pint

Metal detector types generally get a bad press (usually justifiable)

But these two chaps have brought honour to the craft. Very nice to see that they want the hoard displayed (along with the land owner) All in all a jolly nice pair.

<------- that beers for you

9. Jelliphiish
    IT Angle

i must have missed the IT angle

yet more mission creep into the realms of the daily fail..

1. horsham_sparky

Re: i must have missed the IT angle

There's quite a bit of gold used on circuit boards, IC's etc inside computers..

OK, a slight stretch, but there's more to life than IT you know (beer for example)

2. Chris_Maresca

Metal detectors

Need I say more?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Metal detectors these days are high tech gear, and typically contain a microcontroller that generates a square wave pulse, and performs analogue to digital conversion on any incoming signal. This is then interpreted by signal processing software, and the result displayed in human readable form on an LCD display. This all generally runs under a pre-emptive multi tasking real time scheduler, with custom device drivers carefully crafted for the device's unique hardware, which can include display, buttons, audio, LCD screen and custom GUI, sigma delta ADC, etc. There's your IT angle.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

The aim is to draw out the witless misanthropes who, every time there's an interesting article which doesn't mention the ACT DX-260000-M microprocessor, lumber out from under their bridge and complain about the 'lack of IT angle' in a story.

It seems to have worked.

5. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Interred Trove - theres always an IT angle.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely any coin

stamped 50BC is a fake! (Please smile!)

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: Surely any coin

Well obviously, since their were no Christians around at the time they used BCE instead.

11. Alan Brown Silver badge
    Trollface

Coins on display I can understand

How are they going to mount and stuff the landowner?

1. Brezhnev's Shadow

Re: Coins on display I can understand

Depends what shape and size they are. I thought all guys knew this? ;)

12. blaine gaither
    Happy

The leprechauns want their gold back

Now!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Gold reported

Just silver and bronze

1. nematoad
      Holmes

Re: No Gold reported

Yes, if as reported the coins have been fused into a solid mass that would show that the vast majority are NOT gold.

Gold does not corrode; silver and bronze do, which would account for them sticking together. In any case if the hoard was of gold coins a half a tonne would be a damned sight more valuable that the £10 million that I have seen quoted.

14. Chris Hawkins
    Linux

Must have been an XXXXXLL Size Jersey! (Exits stage left rapidly.....)

15. Dana W
    Unhappy

Just long enough for the government to find the most polite legal phraseology to steal it.

16. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Motherlode

This has got to be the reason why honest 'detectorists' ply their trade.

17. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pirate

Am I the only one with the urge to say ARRRRH!!!!

Buried treasure, after all.

1. horsham_sparky
      Trollface

Re: Am I the only one with the urge to say ARRRRH!!!!

yes, but the rest of us managed to show some self-restraint.. :-)

That said, you've let the parrot out onto the shoulder..YARRRR!!! X marks the spot me hearties!

18. Great Bu

Woudn't it be easier...

....to invest in a few of those items that expand your gold pickup range by a few yards so you can scan around the field much quicker ?

Or have I been playing too much Diablo 3 ?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Investment opportunity;

Any branches of Cash for Gold in Jersey?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Go

I guess Jersey really does have a tradition as a tax haven!

And I thought it was just the last 40-50 years. Shows how much I know!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How do they know the coins are from 50BC?

Was that the date on the coins?

This topic is closed for new posts.