back to article Google Chrome update plugs score of security bugs

Google has updated its Chrome browser to address 20 vulnerabilities, none of which are deemed critical. Chrome version 20 coincidentally covers patches for a score of security bugs, as listed here. Many of the fixed vulnerabilities involve "use-after-free" memory-related security bugs, some of which are rated as high risk. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mickey Finn

Interesting

that Chrome gets an update just after the new MacBook Air starts having problems attributed by testers to...

Chrome!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting

Is it very surprising though? It's well known that many Googlers use Macs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting

They have the choice of OSX or Linux. Windows was banned.

2. Sordid Details
    Meh

Updating

Doesn't Chrome do this automagically? I have Chrome running on Windows 7, XP and Mac machines. None of them has a 'Check for updates' option...

1. cheesey_toastie

Re: Updating

Yes it does do it automagically but you can also nudge it along. Go to Settings (Spanner), "About Google Chrome". You'll see a "checking for updates" -this must be a pretty heavy update as it's killing my machine as I type this.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll wait...

..for the Iron update....

4. david 12 Silver badge

Memory management bug.

Obvious solution: use a language with built-in memory management. If too full of yourself to do that, use a memory management framework that doesn't free memory.

Or if, like MS, you have a large legacy codebase in a bug-prone language, use a coding policy and fire the programmers who make stupid mistakes. Speaking of which, when was the last time MS had a use-after-free memory bug. Last century?

I though Google was supposed to have hired smart people? While not necessarily a beginners mistake, it does at least indicate a lack of thought in design and test.

This topic is closed for new posts.