back to article Google claims Chrome is the world's most popular browser

Google has been shouting the praises of its newly patched Chrome on the second day of its I/O developer conference, and is claiming that Chrome is undoubtedly the world's most popular browser. "According to all the metrics and everything we see out there, Chrome most is the most popular browser," said Sundar Pichai, VP of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Roger?

The rebuttal contains 25 instances of the name 'Roger'. That is 25 more than I ever want to see on one page.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wish I

Could get it to work without having to use the google login.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Wish I

Yup, the login screen kills it for me ............

You can set home pages and do whatever you want that damned page comes back to haunt you.

IE9 is definately on the top of my list for the moment. I can't even remember that last time I fired up FF.

1. Quxy
          FAIL

IE9 is good?

Hard to tell, as I can't get it to install on any of my machines. I've tried it on recent Fedora and Ubuntu distributions, my NetBSD server, several versions of OSX, my iPad and Asus Transformer, and even an XP VM, and all it'll say is "you need to be running Windows Vista or Windows 7".

But seriously, why should I even bother to look at a software application that runs on such a limited range of operating systems?

1. h4rm0ny

Re: IE9 is good?

"But seriously, why should I even bother to look at a software application that runs on such a limited range of operating systems?"

You don't. You install Opera. IE9 is very good (imo), but no-one has ever claimed that it runs under a Linux DE or told you that you should try to. So it's rather straw-mannish of you to try and act disgusted that it doesn't.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Strawman?

Apparently IE9 doesn't work on Macs or Microsoft's own older version of Windows either; so I would say that the Linux strawman is all yours. I agree, why should I be arsed to try a proprietary web browser that only works on a tiny fraction of the modern consumer operating systems out there, especially when there are such good cross-platform alternatives.

2. Roger B

Re: Roger?

Hi!

1. Great Bu

Roger Roger

Give me the vector, Victor.

1. Rob 103

Re: Roger Roger

We've got the clearance, Clarence.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Neil Greatorex

Re: Roger?

What makes it funnier is that the claims & counter claims are really just Willy waving. Roger.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Carling claims to be

probably the best lager in the world, but I don't drink it. So is it?

Statistical manipulation as the ends justify the means.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. 14% of people know that.

1. Jeebus

I'd be lying if I said my men weren't committing crimes.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Although I don't like them...

I think Google does have a point. I mean; at one time it looked as if all other major browsers (Firefox, Internet explorer) started to mimic the looks of Chrome. Firefox especially IMO. A move which I detested ever since it started because honestly; if I wanted to use Chrome then I'd download and use it.

IE9 is a bit different when it comes to looks (the tabs sit besides the address bar instead of above it) but its still quite trimmed down in comparison to IE8.

So with that in mind I think Google has a point.

As for me; I'm sticking to SeaMonkey for my every day browsing.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet another Google innovation made possible by the hard work of the open source developers and Apple (Apple took KHTML, fixed it up a bit and released it as WebKit which Chrome is based on).

Would be nice if Google actually created something from scratch.

1. Sean Kennedy

Oh? Why is that? They are taking good software packages and putting a high amount of polish on them. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, you might even say that google is doing the OSS community a favor by the exposure.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Because you cant polish a turd, only roll it in glitter....

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Andy ORourke
          Joke

Turd Polish

I think Mythbusters proved it can be done : HERE

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, damn Google, they should learn from their competitors- who'd never start a business based on software produced by dumpster diving other peoples' printouts... no... wait...

3. Dire Criti¢

"Would be nice if Google actually created something from scratch"

It would be a fucking miracle if Apple did!

4. JDX Gold badge

Well done for totally missing the point of open source - creating software so that people CAN create great software (free or commercial) with it.

If you want to demand people put back in "their fair share" to the community start your own "it's only fair" license to compete with GPL, MIT, Apache, et al. I'm sure you'll get plenty of MPs supporting you.

5. Harry

It is actually the most UNpopular browser

Because it installs itself surreptitiously and by default alongside other products, its actually the most *hated* of all browsers. And its also probable that most people who have it installed only have it because they don't know how to remove it.

And its from google, so it's probably stuffed with spyware.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It is actually the most UNpopular browser

I agree, all it takes is a parent to click on it by mistake then queue the usual "my internets different" support call... (note to fanboys "different" is not equal to better or worse) Like a lot of old people change (even if it is for the better) is bad. They had firefox installed years ago, know how to use it and are used to it now so find anything else "wrong" to use

Having set the pc to secure as possible, having an app that has virus like properties in not needing admin rights to install isnt a good example for a major company to do.

Still they didnt spot the difference between google and duckduckgo afterwards.....

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I just went through the monthly update of software on my in-law's computer. The usual suspects; antivirus, antispyware, Flash, Acrobat, Air, Java, etc...

Lately it seems practically everything is packaged with Chrome preselected, and it's also advertised on Google's home page too. I'm not surprised it's shot up the charts recently.

2. auburnman

If you're going to try to discount installs that aren't wanted or are there by default, Microsoft will have to assemble a crack team of statisticians/marketers to discredit you when their market share snaps in half.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's still China

In China it's still IE 71.76% vs Chrome 12.52% according to StatCounter.

StatCounter IS odd though, says Europe's top browser is Firefox? I'd really like to understand their methodology and sources a bit better.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: There's still China

In continental Europe, and especially Germany, Firefox very much does hold sway. It's about 50 % for a large corporate site I know.

That said, SiteCounters' metrics are not reliable because they are very piecemeal. Aggregates coming from Google Analytics, Adobe or Webtrends or other large providers are likely to be more representative. The stats that I have access to have about a three-way split for Chrome (all versions), IE 8, IE 9 and Firefox (all versions) for the world. Chrome has gone up about 10 % in a year on those metrics.

7. Greg J Preece

"Over 60 billion words are typed every day on Chrome browsers, he said, with over a terabyte of data saved every 24 hours."

And that, right there in a nutshell, is why I don't use Chrome. I'll browse without you looking over my shoulder, thanks.

Incidentally, now that you've reached the heady heights, can you slow down and fix some of your browser's glaring rendering bugs? You launched a campaign to replace the predominant, buggy browser, and you're replacing it with another buggy browser, except this one spies on you.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Big Brother

And why did they go to the extra effort of rounding the user count to 310 million people?

I'm sure they could have copied and pasted the exact figure.

8. Guillermo Lo Coco
    Devil

Long life statcounter ! (and opensource browsers! too)

Who is still using IE ??

@harry, UNpopular browser?? And what do you think about IE is still so popular?? eat that! yeah, it came preinstalled. the worst unpopular !

1. Greg J Preece

"Who is still using IE ??"

Well, if you're using IE9, why not? I'm just gonna come out and say it - there is nothing wrong with IE9. It's not as bleeding-edge advanced as other browsers, sure, but there's also not really anything inherently wrong with what it does. It's quick, seems stable when I've used it, supports the current standards far far better than older versions - what exactly is wrong with it, other than it not being fashionable these days? (Seriously, if you follow *trends* for a feckin' web browser, you need to re-assess your entire life.)

Wanna know how many rendering bugs I've had to fix in IE9 recently, or indeed ever? None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Doughnut.

Wanna know how many I've had to work around in Chrome in the past fortnight? Because it's not zero.

Personally, I'm a shirt-wearing Mozilla man, but I'm no zealot.

1. Fuzz

but there is one thing wrong with IE9. It has no spell checker. That, for me, is why it gets no use at all outside the one application at work that still mandates it.

1. pcsupport

You base your browser requirements solely on whether it corrects your spelling or not?

Did they not teach you how to read and write at school?

2. JDX Gold badge

Agreed IE9 is pretty slick and the integration with W7 is something cool too - seeing tabs as separate previews on the start-bar for instance.

Regarding spell-checking... you can get spell-checking for IE9. I've got it installed and it's identical to how FF/Chrome do it.

2. MikeS

>yeah, it came preinstalled. the worst unpopular !

so its preinstalled on mac's and millions if ipads ands androids, and linux too is it. ;-)

true its presinalled on windows, on which the majority of all devices still use,

but Google install chrome be default when you install almost any of their other products, you have opt-out not opt-in, so many people end up with Chrom being 'preinstalled' along side the other app too

If MS were to try that trick or to reset the deafult thered be hell too pay.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: >yeah, it came preinstalled. the worst unpopular !

Wow, what an amazing case of selective memory. Microsoft reset the default for the system browser after _every_single_ online update for years!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google did something from scratch alright.

Google added their own poorly documented SPDY protocol in addition to HTTP, so that traffic to their own servers appear to be much faster than going to competing services or using alternative browsers.

Then, when Firefox tried implementing the same SPDY protocol to Google's servers, Google broke it and it's pages wouldn't work properly some of the time.

Last time I've seen something similar in IT people were up in arms about it and the company ended up in court. But when Google does it and everyone cheers them on.

1. LinkOfHyrule

The sneaky buggers

It's called doing a Microsoft.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Never confuse popularity with quality

Chrome is the Justin Beiber of browsers: pretty, young, heavily advertised, loved by the gullible but best avoided at all costs.

1. Criminny Rickets
      Facepalm

Re: Never confuse popularity with quality

Hey, I may be an older curmudgeon, but I happen to like some Justin Bieber songs.

Wait, did I just SAY that? No!!!!!!!!!!! (insert symbol of man banging head against wall)

11. Chris 171
    Big Brother

"with over a terabyte of data saved every 24 hours"

Being the reason it will never come anywhere near any of my devices..

Opera for me thanks, who gives a fk how many people use it. Its how it works that counts.

1. Ole Juul

Does "how it works" matter?

. . . who gives a fk how many people use it. Its how it works that counts.

I couldn't agree more. It's really unfortunate that we live in a society where even (so called) technical people believe that a product's worth is directly proportional to the number of users.

12. Ilgaz

Deja Vu

If I was google, I would try really hard not to remind their domination to public.

Just like Internet explorer, Mac safari google chrome isn't really purely choice of users.

It doesn't come with os of course, it comes on world'sn dominant page.

There is no "get Firefox", "get ie" (as it is compliant now) or "get opera" there.

What is next? Brag about toolbar?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's great Google..

Now can we step on the brakes please? I've spent years battling a IE monopoly, not about to enjoy battling another one.

There are already too many Chrome Web Store "exclusives" for my taste, web pages to me were never meant to be packaged and locked to specific browsers.

Maybe I should blame the developers, but how can Google talk about the importance of the "open web" and then operate this crap. It must require a lot of counselling.

14. Mike Judge
    FAIL

Chrome on iOS - Really?

Sorry, but Apple's rules don't allow that. Whatever they release will be a Chrome/Safari abomination. It will be Safari under the covers, using Safari's ancient Webkit code and piss-poor JS engine. No V8 js for you... But will be running Chrome UI, sync and extensions on the outside.

Crucially you can't change the UA (because it's using Apples webkit browser control) so Apple "Chrome" users will be racking up as Safari hits on websites. & it will be as slow as Safari and render as flakey as safari.

If anyone REALLY believe they are getting Chrome, as in what's on desktops and Android, they will be sorely mistaken, they are just getting another Safari makeover skin.

1. C Ridley

Re: Chrome on iOS - Really?

Isn't it already just a safari (webkit) rebrand? Perfect for ios.

2. MikeS

Re: Chrome on iOS - Really?

just another example of Apple controlling their market and stifling competition,

doublless if Chrome was made available they would then try to sue google for having sqarish shaped broswer windows ;-)

1. Ilgaz

Lets get chrome for Android first?

They should have faced the reality that 80% of their market runs Android 2.3- and ship some amazingly optimized chrome that will beat iphone web in every single device.

Of course, their primary interest isn't software so it didn't happen.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stat Counter

....using flawed logic and cherry-picking statistics...... bundles all third-party browsers that use the IE engine, like Maxthon, with IE's figures,"

we have absolutely no problem with you or with Microsoft or IE... our problem is with misleading and biased information being published under the guise of a fair and balanced analysis," said StatCounter.

So have you stripped all the versions of Iron from your Chrome stats then guys?

No thought not.

16. toadwarrior

I don't use chrome anymore. I don't like how much it spies on you, google tries to force their idea of the perfect UI on you with no way to change it and actually its performance isn't that great.

Sure when its only competition was IE7 / IE8 and firefox it stood out. IE just sucked. Firefox wasn't blindingly fast but it could be customised so there was a clear split what get of either browser.

Firefox has fixed itself and has a much better release schedule, it's faster and it's customiseable. Chrome hasn't really changed which isn't good given that it's not perfect.

I'll use firefox or opera instead.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Gone back to FF

I used Chrome for quite a while, but it seemed to play less and less nicely on my machine (EEEPC 701 4G running an Ubuntu 10;04 based distro) as the version number rose, so I've gone back to FF (v13), and managed to successfully configure it so that I have even more screen space available than with Chrome. It also seems at least as fast as Chrome, and doesn't hang when other tabs are loading the way Chrome does.

1. toadwarrior

Re: Gone back to FF

I find Chrome gives you dead tabs far more often than the others. I think they just want to show off their sad faced browser image.

By the way the reason it's running poorly on your 701 (and my 901) is because Chrome only gives the appearance that it's fast and light. I believe Google even came right out and said it doesn't matter how much power your use as long as they user has a good experience which, on average, is probably right but Chrome used to (and I suspect still does) use more memory and CPU than Firefox and I believe from the stats I saw it was actually the top resource hog of all the main browsers which of course will be notieable on something like an EEE.

17. JaitcH
    FAIL

Chrome is the world's most popular browser

Sure is. It seems to attract every deleterious bug and spyware floating around.

When I run my anti-virus software it always has more junk in it than all of the three browsers I have on my computer put together.

And Chrome doesn't like my wife's ASUS EeePC, either, which runs Win 7. Neither automatic nor hand job installs will mount Chrome! SketchUp is OK, though.

1. Richard Wharram
      Paris Hilton

Re: Chrome is the world's most popular browser

Hand job?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Even if IE9 is alright

It deserves to be punished for it's crimes in a previous life.

Although whoever thought it was a good idea to lock arbitrary port numbers out of chrome with no option to switch it off needs to be slapped quite heavily.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Even if IE9 is alright

That's stupid. Stop acting like a child.

19. n4blue

I just like that we have choice

I have IE9, Chrome 20 and Firefox installed.

IE9 is my current favourite. Before it came along I used Chrome. Before Chrome was around I used Firefox. I still use them all at times, they all have pros and cons. I'm well aware that there are other excellent alternatives too, but frankly these three are more than enough for me.

I really couldn't care which one is the 'most popular'. I suspect that Google are correct in claiming this, if only because many enterprises still mandate the use of IE regardless of their users' preference.

I will only care if any of them achieve such a dominance that the lack of competition causes development and innovation to slow down or stop.

What impresses me about Google is that they are pressing ahead with Chrome for iOS despite the restrictions imposed by Apple. This is in contrast to Mozilla, who cited these restrictions when saying they wouldn't port Firefox to iOS (as they have also now repeated with respect to Windows RT). I respect Mozilla's position, but I applaud Google's attitude. Given this it's not surprising they've been so successful.

20. g e
    Joke

Chrome for Apple's iOS ??

RE: Your application submission to App Store(tm)(c)(p)(r)

Thank you for your recent submission of

<pre>Google Chrome Browser</pre>

to the Apple(tm)(c)(p)(r) App Store(tm)(c)(p)(r)

Unfortunately your submission has been rejected with the following reason:

N/A

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Chrome for Apple's iOS ??

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chrome/id535886823?mt=8

Currently the no. 1 download.

The real joke is that Chrome for Android only works on ICS (about 7% of handsets), so I expect there will actually be far more Chrome users on iOS than there will be on Android.

21. NogginTheNog
    Thumb Down

"A terabyte of data saved every day"

Is that the data Google is slurping from people using Chrome?

1. leexgx

Re: "A terabyte of data saved every day"

that's Opera with Turbo enabled or mobile Opera mini as turbo is enabled all the time on Med or Low setting

i get about 80% saving on opera mini set to med image option (press Help and data usage on opera mobile or opera mini)

22. Nameless Faceless Computer User
    FAIL

Good try

Chrome has improved greatly over the years. However, on my Mac it continues to misbehave. While I'm idle, it goes out to the Internet and continues to pull in many megabytes of data. I block it with Little Snitch. It finds a way around the blocks. I finally had to pull the bugger.

Before I pulled it, I tired the "sync" function. After spending hours organizing my bookmarks, Chrome trashed them when I logged on with a different machine.

Chrome sucks.

23. Andy 70
    Windows

chrome shmome

yeah, no wonder the install count is creeping up. every freaking install of adobe, or java, or somethingelseineed(tm) comes with "would you like to install google chrome and set it as your default browser?" that and the google/ask toolbar. people just click yes yes yes yes yes ohfuckwhatwasthatlastone? ahscrewit, yes yes yes finished.

and are they counting every android handset out there too?

fruggin grumble grumble IE9's too good for 'em... netscape 3.01s what they want....

24. John70

Lies, damned lies and statistics

This is all I can think of with these companies manipulating the numbers to suit their needs.

25. Ilgaz

Think twice

Google didn't ship a real browser, a lot of your private data has to go over their servers.

Warning for once and last time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like