back to article UK.gov: Some Open Data are more open than others

The government’s long-awaited Open Data white paper, published this morning, introduces standards for “higher data usability”, according to the minister in charge. Frances Maude made the claim in the paper, available here, that was published following an extended period of consultation on how government data should be released …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

How many stars

For leaving the laptop with all the unencrypted data on it in the pub ?

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
      Holmes

Re: How many stars

When Apple lost an iPhone Prototype that way, two policeman and two Apple Security people went searching.

The policemen stood outside (they had no warrant) while the Apple Security violated the 4th Amendment of the Constitution*.

Condensed version: Two Stars with a Fascist Control Freak Cluster.

* To be fair and balanced, this is not an official Apple Document unless some Patent Troll gets hold of it.

1. Tom 38

Re: How many stars

I know it's confusing, but not every story on here is about Apple. Try to keep up old boy.

PS: The 4th amendment describes how agents of the government must act. Are you suggesting 'Apple Security' are part of your government?

2. CaptainCorrection
    Headmaster

Data

"Some Open Data are more open than others"

"new standards...will mean public data is published"

Consistency please!

Captain Correction thanks you.

3. Pen-y-gors

Practical suggestion

How about spreading the word to all departments that if any data is released following an FOI request, that the full dataset on which the response is based should forthwith be published somehwere obvious?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Under the paper, public data from different departments about the same subject will be published using the same standard formats with the same definitions."

Well colour me impressed!

Will the magic wand used to achieve this also be waved over the different offices and/or systems within any given department too? That would have made things a lot easier for various DW endeavours I've known of.

5. david 12 Silver badge

Excel

The 'Excel' data I can get from any of my banks is CSV. So basicly they two stars for ensuring the data can be read by at least one common application -- and three stars if they can't even say that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like