back to article Red Hat: Keep clouds open, like Linux

At last year's Red Hat Summit, it was CEO Jim Whitehurst who preached to the open source choir about the need to keep virtualization and the cloudy extensions of it open. And at this year's event in Boston, it was Paul Cormier, president of products at the billion-dollar commercial open source software powerhouse, who banged on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Linux, Windows, "Marketshare"

It might be true that the sales volumen of Windows server hardware is larger than the revenue for Linux servers.

But the large workloads in Stock exchanges (Frankfurt, Tokio,..) , Google, Facebook, large SAP installations, large file servers, large websites - I am sure they are first and foremost running on Linux and Unix.

The underlying reason is that the Linux kernel is much better suited for scalability, efficiency and I/O throughput. Also, operating a system by a proper Command Line is much more efficient than a point-and-click-based system such as "Windows" (for the professionals, of course).

Another case of "lies, damned lies and statistics", I guess.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Linux, Windows, "Marketshare"

Ah, but if you look he said 'Linux servers represent about 20-ish per cent of revenues, with Windows comprising north of 50 per cent'. So he's counting revenue, *not* iterations. Remember, you don't *have* to pay to run Linux.

We run VMWare ESX of a variety of flavours, across a large number of DMZ's including business critical systems and a Public Web infrastructure which gets millions of hits/day; and it's Linux at the back end as well as the front.

We do run Windows on the same infrastructure, but the number of Windows virtual machines is far outstripped by the number of RHEL ones.

Anonymous as I've probably given away too much already :-)

2. Ilgaz

Add 300M to Linux, millions to bsd

Gnu guys have been shy about it for ideological reasons but every single Android means a Debian stable installation/ use.

Based on google numbers, there are 300M (million) Debianb Gnu/ Linux installations which are in active, end user and enterprise/ government "desktop" use.

Now do you understand the panic of ms?

Oh, while on it, every iphone& iPad in use means freebsd/bsdlite install.

Linux/bsd users should state these facts in every opportunity.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@llgaz

You ignore a major issue; when Google says they use Linux they do not refer to vinil brands. "Based on Debian" does not mean 'Debian' just like 'based on the Linux kernel' does not mean they used the vinil kernel either.

Marketing relies heavily on making it sound as if things are implied while in fact they aren't.

And Google have unfortunately entered the marketing stage a long time ago....

1. Ilgaz

Re: @llgaz

Of course but when we look under (easy on any Android) we see Debian running. Actually a lot of people are doing very advanced trickery like changing scheduler etc. on Android.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VMware != Linux .. now or ever.

"excepting that Linux kernel it used to have at the heart of the ESXi hypervisor"

Nope, it was based on SEOS and DISCO. The only Linux was the management VM that sat on top of the hypervisor (VM number 1024 in fact).

Ok, ok. I'll get my coat.

3. zenkaon
    Thumb Up

I love clouds

clocked up somewhere between 35 and 50 years of wall time so far this year, all distributed globally.

I had a look at some of the machines about 2 years ago, needed ear protectors on of course

RHEL is awesome, keep up the good work guys. I'm a happy user.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like