back to article Breaking: Megaupload seizures illegal says NZ High Court

America’s case against Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom is looking increasingly shambolic, with a New Zealand High Court judge finding that the property seizures in January raid were illegal. Both New Zealand’s National Business Review and TVNZ are reporting that Judge Helen Winkelmann has declared the warrants used in the searches …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BAU for the US then?

Shoot first and ask questions later.

In other news, It will rain somewhere in the world today.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Think of litigation think of the compensation!

Could this really be true justice?

The man will be richer still.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

New Zealand

No suing down our way. He won't get much on the official side either. It's not our culture.

The chances of successfully suing the US? Riiiiight......

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Return of the clones?

Which ones? The clones of the clones, or the clones of the clones of the clones?

1. The Axe

Re: Return of the clones?

The Yanks can keep the clones, but it won't be much point since they won't be able to use them in any future court case.

2. 4ecks

Re: Return of the clones?

And so the Clone Wars began...

3. RAMChYLD
      Trollface

Re: BAU for the US then?

It just finished pouring over here.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Shoot first and ask questions later."

Corrected for you:

Shoot first, hit you allies with friendly fire, ignore their sovereignty and legal system, then ask questions later.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Shoot first, hit you allies with friendly fire, ignore their sovereignty and legal system, then ask questions later.

Corrected for you:

Shoot first, hit you allies with friendly fire, ignore their sovereignty and legal system, then ask the wrong questions (mainly about who leaked the bad news) but not necessarily on topic later.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The US didn't really give a monkey's about DotCom or his assets as such, they simply want to shut his site down for along enough for his business to collapse and stop him hosting the supposedly copyrighted stuff MegaUpload's users had posted. The "meeja" corps in the US had obviously been making a big noise to the US Gov, so the US Gov thought they'd push their luck see how much trouble they could cause DotCom. The US knew full well they were skating on thin ice, they're not stupid but they just needed enough time to allow them to keep up the pretence long enough to achieve the aim of tripping up DotCom and his mates.

If when DotCom is allowed to to go free and get on with his life, how long is it going to take for him to get his business back together, if he even bothers? It's not going to be instant is it and the threat that US Gov will find another loophole to be pain in the arse, will be at the back of his mind.

1. elderlybloke
        Pint

I am sure that our NZ coppers will now know what those devious yanks are really like now, and wont be so obliging in future.

The trouble is that they are now tarred with the same brush as the FBI etc. who don't give a shit about proper legal ways or the law at all.

It has been revealed that the FBI actively encourage their men (or persons) to not be concerned about how to get evidence.

This plus the law Obama has approved that allows for indefinite detention without charge or trial shows that the "Land of the Free" should used only in the past tense.

At least the Winter weather so far is not too chilly.

Peace be with all you Poms.

1. veti Silver badge
          Devil

Just to clarify: nicking the server clones was a violation of New Zealand law.

That doesn't mean it was against US federal law, and it certainly doesn't mean the evidence can't be used in a US federal prosecution. We're talking about a jurisdiction that publicly defends kidnapping people from foreign cities in order to get them in front of its courts, if it finds that extradition is too much like hard work.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

So, who carries the can?

Given that the High Court considers that the law was broken, who takes responsibility for that?

1. Schultz
      Thumb Up

Reasonable business model

I don't expect someone to take responsibility, but the authorities might be a lot more careful next time. Will this be a big boost for file hosting in NZ in the future?

Megaupload looks like a reasonable business model now. Thanks for clarifying that, US and NZ authorities!

3. h 2
    Pirate

Possible Copyright infringement by the US then

So if they have illegally taken a clone of his data, does this mean he can take action against them for copyright infringement ?

1. The Axe

Re: Possible Copyright infringement by the US then

I wouldn't have thought so. Copyright of the individual files probably stays with the uploader. It would be surprising for Mega's T&Cs to say that copyright vests with them when you upload - it would make them more liable to the copyright claims from the film companies.

1. The Mole

You are forgetting that he may own copyright to any file names and structures, metadata files, source code that may be on the same share, and other database rights in the organization of said copyright infringing data..

2. h 2

I refer to the megaupload data, user info etc

1. 4ecks

Damages should be awarded to Megaupload using the RIAA formula, this should result in a figure larger than the annual GNP of the whole planet ;)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good news

Good news and a typical example of how the US just do whatever they want regardless of the law.

Haven't they already frozen his assets and such like though? What about those...?

1. Ole Juul

Re: Good news

Haven't they already frozen his assets and such like though? What about those...?

Not to mention the destruction of a business with a $4 billion dollar evaluation that was just preparing to go public and enter the US stock market with a multi-billion dollar IPO. Major auditors and world investment banks were apparently looking favourably at this so there should be some good evidence for a lawsuit to recover some of that. It's a bit of an international incident if you ask me.

5. Neoc

"the country should “request” that US authorities return clones taken offshore."

<bark of laughter> Yeah... that'll be the day. And even if the "clones" are returned, I can guarantee you it won't be before copies are done.

1. theModge

Re: "the country should “request” that US authorities return clones taken offshore."

How admissible would data they can't legally have been in a us court though?

1. g e

Re: "the country should “request” that US authorities return clones taken offshore."

It's a US court, they'll do whatever they fancy if they think they can get away with it to prosecute Johnny Foreigner

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Illegal Damage

So the raids were illegal, and impeded someone's business. How does NZ law deal with damages resulting from its justice system making a major boo-boo?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Illegal Damage

Presumably the same way we do here, if the cops kick down your door by mistake. "Gee, sorry about that, but no we're not buying you a new door. Shit happens."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The UK is slightly better, at least on the door front. I heard of one bloke who had his door kicked in by police in England, just a couple of days after he had sold his car. The vehicle registration documents had not yet been processed, and the car he sold had been used in an armed robbery. It was clear fairly quickly to the officers that he did not match the description of the robbers, and they had the damage repaired.

Sometimes kicking in a door is not quick enough... there is a device that is bolted to the ground outside the door, and then uses hydraulic rams to smash the door in one go.

1. Steve the Cynic

I second that. Back in the day (1994 or so) I lived in the middle flat of three in an old terraced house. The [redacted] on the ground floor were bad boys, and Plod came calling one Saturday afternoon. They broke the lock on the outside (shared) door, and I presume on the ground floor flat's door as well. I peered outside a moment or two later, and saw one of the bad boys' mates being led away with his hands cuffed behind his back. A phone call to Plod followed. "Where do you live, sir?" "(address)" "Ah, ok, have it repaired, and put this operation number on the bill and send it to us, we'll take care of it."

Times change, so your mileage may vary if you try this these days...

7. Knoydart
    Big Brother

Thank goodness for someone here (NZ) wading in. It looked like we had become the 51st state and at the call of the Americans for a while.

Big brother ´cause this is not going away any time soon.

1. Dr. Mouse

"It looked like we had become the 51st state and at the call of the Americans for a while."

52nd... The UK is 51st, and our politicians are damn proud of it!

1. g e

Beat me to it

Yeah the gleeful sycophantic rubbing of hands whenever the 'Special Relationship' is mentioned.

I tell ya, when I'm Prime Minister... etc, etc

2. Chad H.

Err

NZ has a history of telling the USA where to shove it. See also: ANZUS treaty.

1. Heathroi
        Facepalm

Re: Err

History means happening more than once

8. Mad Mike
    FAIL

Extradition

Given that the judge appears to have destroyed the whole NZ case against him, I don't see how he can be extradited and he would seem to have a great case for huge amounts of compensation. The US appears to have stitched NZ up good and proper. There can be little doubt that the NZ police will be liable for several reasons. Not least amongst these being that they obviously didn't follow the laws of NZ or their own protocol as otherwise the warrants would have been legal. Given the soon to be IPO, the compensation must run into hundreds of millions at least. What about the customers? If they were inconvenienced or they lost their data because of this, they could have a claim as well.

It all seems to me that NZ could end up with a bill for a very large sum. The US will, as usual, simply walk away. In some ways, this is fair enough. If the US hadn't provided enough information and evidence, the NZ cops should have walked away. The worst they could be accused of is playing the NZ police and national authorities for fools, which seems more than ably demonstrated.

1. SuperTim

on the contrary

destroying a case to be tried outside of america may be good for the americans. If Gary McKinnon had been tried in the UK, he wouldn't still be facing extradition. All the Yanks seem to need is a desire to try someone, and little evidence.

1. g e

Re: on the contrary

And an agreement they never reciprocated upon

2. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

Re: on the contrary

>> All the Yanks seem to need is a desire to try someone, and little evidence.

The Yanks never need any evidence. Shoot first and spit on your grave afterwards, that has always been their policy.

2. Heathroi
      Meh

Re: Extradition

this is probably true, eventually(except the sum offered will be tiny) and it will take years of chasing it through the NZ Establishment which hates with a passion, anybody telling them that they got it wrong, probably even more so when they were obviously wrong.

(See David Bain and Arthur Allen Thomas and they were accused of Murder) Dotcom would be better served by taking the broken fragments of his business and creating something new.

1. elderlybloke
        Unhappy

Dear Heathroi,

Our beloved Prime Minister Piggy Muldoon pardoned Thomas.

1. Heathroi
          Happy

eventually. after a royal commission led by an aussie judge (ie one familar with police practice) said the police were lying. and planting evidence.

9. paulc
    Unhappy

Illegal or not... The raid had the "desired" effect...

Megaupload is out of action and will remain out of action for ages... and quite a few of the other web-locker firms have become web-lockers for personal access only (ie, you have to login with the same account that uploaded the content).

Personally, I'm rather annoyed as a perfectly good method of sharing collaborative work files has been destroyed. Audio projects where each of us would add the required instrument/vocal etc. parts and then get them mixed down.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Illegal or not... The raid had the "desired" effect...

Now that there is a precedent I think you'll find they're likely to spring back into action but might have some tougher T&Cs and use of GeoIP to restrict access from the US.

2. g e
      Black Helicopters

I'm not so sure that the NZ side didn't do a little 'fuck america' creative sabotage...

It's easy to envision the FBI/whomever charging in shooting their sixguns in the air but for the NZ side to screw up as well on something basic like a warrant?

Do NZ have black helicopters?

1. Long John Brass
        Black Helicopters

No. No black helicopters

Just a copper with a propeller beanie running around making phwup, phwup phwup noises

10. Code Monkey
    Facepalm

"We shouldn't have sent them abroad - please can we have them back"

[slow hand clap]

11. Valerion
    Thumb Up

I used to think

that NZ was a pretty cool country.

Now I think it's fucking awesome.

1. Gordon 10

Re: I used to think

I would rate them higher on the awesome scale if they had told the US to bog off in the first place.

12. Tony Paulazzo
    Mushroom

I wonder if America will now 'invade' or 'free' New Zealand from its* 'corrupt leaders'.

DISCLAIMER: *Unsure of whether or not an apostrophe is required

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Its and it's

possesive:

mine

yours

his

hers

its [no apostrophe]

abbreviation of two words:

it is a nice day today, so it's a nice day. The apostrophe is to represent the combination/abbreviation of two words.

1. Rabbit80

Re: Its and it's

What about its' (Apostrophe after the s) ?

1. The Original Cactus
          Headmaster

Its' = belonging to its. I'm not sure when that would ever be used, its is an unusual name.

1. mfritz0
            Happy

The walrus has two tusks, its' tusks are located on its' face.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"What about its' (Apostrophe after the s) ?"

Presumably that could be passed as the neuter possessive's genitive? E.g., "There is confusion about its' lack of an apostrophe".

[[Category:Let's see how far we can stretch grammar rules]]

3. PatientOne

The Apostrophe after the S indicates a plural possessive.

So its' indicates a plural possessive, but as its is a singular possessive this does not work. So you should never have its'.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

So no getting yer its' out?

2. Charles 9

To clarify, the plural of "it" isn't "its" but "them". And like "it", "them" has a completely different, apostrophe-free possessive:: "their".

2. General Pance

Who give's a shit?

1. edge_e
          Headmaster

Re: Its and it's (who gives a shit)

<---him

Are you also one of those people who is proud that they can't add up?

Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with not being able but I do have a problem with being proud of not being able.

1. Captain Underpants
            Thumb Up

@edge_e

Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with not being able but I do have a problem with being proud of not being able.

Agreed. Reminds me of the Chris Rock "Niggas vs black people" skit, bemoaning the existence of people who "love to not know" - "I don't know that shit, I'm keepin' it REAL!"

Given the number and range of things that it is possible to know, not knowing any given thing is reasonable enough. Being proud or boastful about it is not.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with not being able but I do have a problem with being proud of not being able"

Oh come on! It's clear he was having an attempt at a joke. Unfortunately his sense of humour is a bit poor, while yours would appear to be non-existing. At least he tried.

[[Category:Replies to people who need to lighten up]]

2. drunk.smile

Try this handy guide.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

13. Vendicar Decarian1

Another total failure from the nation of fail.... America.

14. localzuk Silver badge
    Trollface

The US courts will find this interesting too.

The data on the cloned devices the US took from NZ would become inadmissible in court wouldn't it, as it wasn't obtained legally?

1. PatientOne

Re: The US courts will find this interesting too.

In the UK, that data would be inadmissible, but we're looking at US laws, and the US don't seem to care.

15. btrower

Opposite Day

Is this Opposite Day?

16. ukgnome
    Thumb Down

Well done Team America!

1. El Presidente

Americaaa !!!

F*ck Yeah \m/

1. Keep Refrigerated
        Mushroom

Re: Americaaa !!!

Honestly, I think there is definitely market for a sequel "Team America 2: Copyright Police" or it's working title "Rise of the Pirates" - woudn't take much work either, just a few tweaks to the first script:

s/terrorist/pirate/g

s/Kim Jong Il/Kim Dotcom/g

s/North Korea/New Zealand/g

Film Actors Guild remains the basically the same evil organization - except they've switched sides.

"Gonna need a montage... Oh it takes a montage..."

17. stanimir

The goal is achieved

And the business is destroyed and even better in the worst case kiwis will pay the damages! What not to like about lobbying - few millions and you have your hands neat and clean.

18. Andy Farley
    Unhappy

Didn't...

...didn't America used to be cool? I'm sure when I was growing up it was a beacon of freedom and enlightenment.

Now it seems to be rapidly moving towards being a police state and incapable of rational political discourse.

1. Dire Criti¢
      Thumb Down

Re: Didn't...

All it seems to have going for it these days is some decent scripted TV with some half-decent production values. Even Hollywood's content has been crap for decades.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Re: Didn't...

> Even Hollywood's content has been crap for decades.

So why all the fuss about copying it?

Is the reason something to do with Darwin awards?

2. El Presidente
      Windows

Re: Didn't.... America used to be cool?

Yeah, just before the Europeans turned up. Was paradise on earth apparently.

America was founded as a means for people to escape tyranny. The first settlers went about escaping tyranny with a Festival of Genocide and pillaging which some people say is still going on today.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

America was cool when I was a boy... every time I drew a rocket or space ship, it would have Stars and Stripes on it. Not to mention the Dukes of Hazard ( sorry, I didn't know what the Confederate Flag meant when I was four), and the A-Team...

America used to be so cool!

1. Gary O'Brien

@Dave126, Do you know now what the Confederate Flag means now ? Very few people do. It' has been stolen by idiots much like the English Flag.

2. Dire Criti¢

America hasn't been cool since Leo Fender designed the Stratocaster!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Land of the Free, Home of the Brave

my arse!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave

Your arse is the land of the free and the home of the brave? Different.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Illegal

That's against the law, right?

20. LJRich
    FAIL

Extradition

So, America claims unlawful copyright infringement, without properly charging anyone and circumventing a nation's duty to protect its (no apostrophe) people. The result, after that nation chooses to duly investigate, is a big fat middle finger.

Surely this must affect the Richard O'Dwyer extradition case that Jimbo Wales is petitioning against? (http://www.change.org/petitions/ukhomeoffice-stop-the-extradition-of-richard-o-dwyer-to-the-usa-saverichard)

Isn't it time Theresa May did some work for a change?

21. Mephistro

In the great scheme of things...

...I think what the USA has done here will have the following consequences:

- 1: NZ and other countries will be extremely careful when the USA tries to push this crap on them. Public opinion will side with MegaUpload-like services.

- 2: Other digital locker services -which have kept a very low profile since the MegaUpload case- will regain their confidence and start working again as in the 'good old days', perhaps being more careful in their compliance with 'Safe Harbor provisions'..

- 3: Bittorrent and eMule downloads speeds willl drop again to their levels in 2011.

- 4: In the eyes of potential investors, Megaupload -and similar services- have passed a sort of 'FBI test'. "Look, it's totally legit! Even the FBI could do nothing against them". Therefore if Megaupload can keep that IPO going, they'll probably make megatonnes of cash out of it, thanks to the FBI.

- 5: Taxpayers in both countries will foot the bills.

The USA accidentally shoot themselves in the foot here, several times :-)

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

free hard disks yay

Or does he just get the original ones which may have suffered somewhat

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about asking for a bond until they get the stuff back?

The US keeps a number of C-130 down in the South Island. I wonder Kim Dotcom can ask the judge for permission to retain one or more as bond until he get his stuff back.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time for a real judicial system

NZ is still in the stone age.

25. This post has been deleted by its author

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NZ

1: Corrupt police (Gene Hunt style) who aren't afraid to fit people up for things they haven't done (multiple payouts, multiple cases. It's the _main_ reason that the Privy Council was abolished as the highest court in the land - it kept voiding cases and making pithy comments about the quality of t court and police proceedings) as well as indulging in or covering up things things like gang rape of drunken females in a station or having prisoners fall down the non-existant flight of stairs on the way to the cells.

1a: Of course such police never think to actually question the all-knowing, all powerful FBI and they would have loved the chance to raid and trash a fat rich boy's pad. Too many NZ cops were the schoolyard bully in their younger days.

2: Corrupt politicians, up to the level of ministerial orders shutting down criminal investigation of illegal commercial activities.

3: No press protection or freedom. Defamation cases are used at the drop of a hat to gag the press anytime they find information that companies, politicians or rich individuals don't want made public (NZ's version of the parliamentary expenses scandal almost didn't happen thanks to politicians using this tactic everytime someone got close - the only reason it blew open is because the journalist concerned got the story aired before the politicians knew about it. NZ had superinjunctions years before the UK was making use of them.)

4: Gang mentality: NZ doesn't just shoot messengers of bad tidings, it mobs them and stomps them into a bloody pulp.

5: Wilful blindness, aka sheeple: The average kiwi still thinks the politicians and police know best. The prevailing attitude is best summarised as "he got arrested so he's got to be guilty", along with the self-delusion that NZ is "corruption free" (Hint, it starts at the top, not on the street).

6: Transparency international NZ is govt funded and its internal workings are a closely guarded secret. Most actual transparency campaigners have been ejected form the organisation. That should raise eyebrows.

7: Susceptability to be blackmailed. France did it by blockading agricultural exports to the EU in order to get its DSGE agents back. The USA will do it to get Kim Dotcom (subtle things, such as cancelling visa waiver status, blocking agricultural exports or imposing punitive duty on imports)

8: Eager puppy syndrome. If you thought Tony Blair was a poodle, you haven't seen how NZ politicians try to curry USA/EU favour.

Good on the judge. She just seriously limited her career by making the correct ruling, instead of the expedient one.

Kim Dotcom will get damages awarded out of this, but probably no more than a couple million dollars and he'll become a target for police harrassment everywhere he sets foot. It's highly likely that his seized property will be in pretty battered shape when it's returned, along with photographic proof that it was always in that state.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: NZ

Canada under and I mean being crushed under the right wing extremism of the harper fascists is moving in that direction. It's going to take some upstanding judges, like the one in NZ, and an awaking of sheeple here to rid ourselves of these types of menace..

People become complacent when their needs are easily met and in NA and much of the EU it's been that way for a long time. Those times have changed and the people want to be in control again. Big changes are required politically for this to happen. Let's hope this happens soon.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NZ

9: Powerful companies with enough commercial power to _kill_ news stories by threateing to withdraw advertising.. The incumbent telco used this muscle to make a news story about a $250k fine for anticompetitive behaviour "go away" in the late 1990s between the time it was reported on the 6pm news on both TV channels and the time the 10pm news rolled around. The only media outfit which ended up reporting it was ComputerWorld.

The internet is changing things. It's hard to keep news covered up any more, unlike times gone by. Even 5 years ago, the FBI and NZ police would have gotten away with this stunt.

28. Thorfkin
    Flame

British Arrogance

I couldn't help but notice how many commenters here seem to think that American authorities treated this case with a “Shoot first and ask questions later” approach. To any American, myself included, this illustrates just how little you know about how things work over here. That gunge-ho attitude you seem to attribute to American behavior is a myth. I agree that the seizures were completely illegal but if you think American authorities didn't fully know this before any action was taken then you've got your head buried up your arse. Money changed hands here. Plain and simple. And judging by the fact that they were willing to risk an international incident, I would say it was a LOT of money. Corruption in politics is something of which we have plenty.

1. Fatman

Re: Corruption in politics is something of which we have plenty.

You know the old saying:

"Money Talks, Bullshit Walks".

It only proves one thing - we (the USA) has `The Best Government Money Can Buy`.

29. David 45

Keep at it

Good, good. Just keep whittling away at the case, finding more and more illegal moves. The man may have had a dubious past (allegedly, from some reports) but throughout the case, details have emerged that challenge the way things were done and the man deserves due process. It's just the good ol' boys of the US of A trying to rule world again. The country needs standing up to from now on.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

REALLY?

So, they broake the law (big surprise)

Will Dotcom get his business back? What about all the lost business? What about all those that had lagitimate files? Where is the justice?

31. maccy
    Devil

I don't get it ...

Look, sersly:

1. The guy is megafat!

2. He only wears black

3. He has a stupid name

4. He's got something to do with teh interwebs

Must be guilty. Why don't those sheep-fucking NZ-ers get this!!

1. Michael Duke

Re: I don't get it ...

You would be an Aussie then :)

32. Alan Brown Silver badge

The sheepfucking NZers do get it.

That's the vast majority of Kiwis.

The ones who bother to actually think for themselves are seriously worried by what's been going down.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The sheepfucking NZers do get it.

"worried" woof woof baaaa! OK, I'm sorry.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

all this remind me of this for some reason :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg

This topic is closed for new posts.