back to article FolderSync

When Microsoft recently offered users 25GB of free SkyDrive storage it highlighted the lack of a good Android app to take advantage of it. Enter FolderSync, which lets you synchronise your Android folders with SkyDrive and just about every other cloud storage supplier. FolderSync supports most of the popular commercial cloud …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ukgnome
    Meh

So it's like ES file explorer then.

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge

Really

I must be blind, I haven't seen an automated folder sync function in ES!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ES

doesn't sync folders....it's a file manager that also lets you download and upload stuff to your cloud. Bloody handy don't get me wrong and my fave file manager but not really like this at all.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To be fair

To be fair, ES file explorer won't handle automatically syncing folders.

But, given that ES File explorer gives you:

a Bluetooth OBEX-FTP server

an FTP server

an FTP client

An SMB client

A client for many online folder systems (e.g. Dropbox)

it does cover 90% of the needs this app does, and more.

1. ukgnome

I did say like

I did say like and not the same as.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: I did say like

You did say like. But no, it's not really like ES. Hence all the replies saying so.

2. kevjs
    Go

This is a brilliant bit of software - seams to handle the syncs quicker and more reliably than the official apps while using less resources.

The big boon is synching with my NaS drive via SSH - get home, plug the phone in and the photos are immediately backed up :) , while the files I wish to share between the NaS drive and phone are set to sync over the air.

Now if only there was an equally awesome equivalent for the desktop.

1. Jim 48
      Thumb Up

SyncBack for the desktop

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Desktop

I used to find briefcase was quite handy for that. Then MS decided that you weren't allowed it anymore; another good reason to stay with XP :)

3. Bassey

or goodsync for a windows desktop. Been using it for years to sync;

Desktop1 -> NAS <- Desktop 2

It keeps both machines in sync AND a copy of everything on the NAS.

Not sure I see the point of this FolderSync though. Isn't that exactly what the apps themselves do? I only use SugarSync out of those listed but I just tell that to keep an eye on a few folders on my device and keep them synched with my account and/or my PC. Do the others not do that too or am I just missing something?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Skydrive

Skydive will downscale pictures uploaded via their API, this is all documented, but just a warning so others wouldn't spend several hours trying to figure out what is going on.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its my favourite Android app at the moment.

Often need to use my tablet as a portable portfolio to show my work, tablet syncs with my server over ftp to keep it up to date when I make changes. Same for music, video etc that I might want to take with me or even files I create on the tablet. Then all the cloud compatibility too. 100% reliable so far, too.

@ Bassey you're kind of right, but if you use more than one of the services you can use one app instead of all of them which is a bit more convenient.

6. NellyD
    Happy

It works!

I've been using this for a very happy 6 months or so now after faffing around with various other syncing apps that wouldn't give reliable results: file date comparison problems or just failing to run mainly. Here's some of the stuff I do with it... or rather it does it for me without making my brain or fingers have to do anything:

1) Syncs photos as I take them (only when on wifi) to my home server via FTP (it then ups them to SkyDrive).

2) Music (legally!) downloaded at home or on device can be synced on demand, listened to on device, tagged or deleted and synced back to the mothership using a 2-way sync over FTP.

3) Game saves get synced to Dropbox (every-other-night Titanium Backup backups do too) automatically. So, should the device get lost, swapped out for something else or I kill it by some other means, the game saves can be restored and I don't have to replay them all again to get back to where I was.

I could go on and on and on some more. The dev is also active and updates come along about once a month. I may sound like a salesman after reading that back... but I'm just a very happy user.

7. Phil 54

Tasker integration!

You missed the best thing.... Tasker integration, at least with the pro version.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like