back to article Taiwanese weathermen pick Fujitsu PrimeHPC super

Taiwan CWB map Fujitsu got a big wad of yen last year from the Japanese government to build the K supercomputer, which until this month was the fastest parallel supercomputer in the world. Now Fujitsu is on a tear to commercialize the supercluster, which it sells with upgraded processors as the PrimeHPC FX10. So it was quite …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Savard

More Nationalistic

Given that Taiwan is the home of TSMC, I'm surprised that there isn't a Taiwanese supercomputer they could have used.

Or, if they're looking for budget iron, what about (South) Korea?

1. tpm (Written by Reg staff)

Re: More Nationalistic

TSMC fabs the Sparc64s, and it also does Nvidia GPUs. That would work.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

What commie iron?

Ehm... what (mainland) Chinese hardware could they even have chosen, really? I am not aware of any "homegrown" PRC HPC systems. A commodity Intel CPU + Nvidia GPU cluster taped together with a Chinese interconnect is not exactly a homegrown Chinese supercomputer in the same way that a Fujitsu CPU + Fujitsu interconnect system is a homegrown Japanese system. Getting one of those hybrid systems from the PRC when they could easily make one themselves or get it from any other industrial nation seems like a slightly far-fetched (and dumb) idea.

Paris Hilton because she seems about as relevant to this Taiwanese supercomputer deal as any imaginary Red Chinese HPC contenders.

1. Kiralexi

Re: What commie iron?

The Mainland has a system with custom processors and custom interconnects in the top 100 - the ShenWei SW1600-based "Bluelight" machine. The cores themselves are supposedly distant derivatives of early Alpha cores, fabbed at 65nm, with 16 to a chip and clocked at 1GHz.

That being said, I don't see anything with it that's inherently more appealing than Fujitsu's pseudo-vector-processor system.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like