back to article Stonehenge WASN'T built by ALIENS - Boffins' shock claim

Bone-digging boffins claim to have discovered the true purpose of Stonehenge - to mark the unification of feisty fighting farming communities who decided to lay down their battle-hoes and make peace. Stonehenge Teams from the universities of Sheffield, Manchester, Southampton, Bournemouth and University College London have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TheOtherHobbes

So...

A monument that took around 1500 years to build in roughly seven stages is supposed to celebrate a single moment of unification?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So...

"A monument that took around 1500 years to build in roughly seven stages is supposed to celebrate a single moment of unification?"

We will never know because a short time later all the farming communities who had come together were ravaged by an economic disaster after they had decided to adopt the groat as a common currency

1. TRT Silver badge

Rubbish. The last set of stones that were added was a patch for the Y1K bug.

2. Stevie

It wouldn't have been so bad if not for those confounded Druids trading in Goat Default Swaps.

At least they didn't fall for that daft Egyptian Pyramid Scheme like the Incas did.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

I DONT SEE WHERE IT DOES A DAMN BIT OF GOOD WHY NOT BILLDOZE IT DOWN AND PUT UP A SHOPPING MALL

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

because its next to an artillery range?

2. Miek
        Trollface

@Big Dumb Guy 555

Obvious drôle is obvious

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: @Big Dumb Guy 555

Poster with obviously weak grasp of Internet culture and history is obvious.

A B1FF is not a troll. Completely different posting practices.

3. John Bailey
      Joke

Yep.. Kind of like the millennium dome. Cept more useful.

And it took so long, because the local builders merchant was out of massive lumps of stone, so they had to go all the way to Wales for it.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In truth

They have absolutely no idea.

It could even have been some ancient practical joker who thought, if he builds it, people will pull their hair out for centuries trying to guess what it was for.

5. BrentRBrian
      Facepalm

You were not supposed to NOTICE THAT.

2. ravenviz Silver badge
    Joke

Turns out

So actually it turns out that Stonehenge was the UK's first gyratory system!

1. Platelet

Re: Turns out

Sounds to me more like it was the first Tesco superstore

2. fridaynightsmoke
      Pint

Re: Turns out

In 10,000 years time people will be scratching their heads at a complex arrangement of 'stone' pillars somewhere north of the lost city of Birmingham, marked only by a mysterious tablet reading "M6"....

3. dogged
    Thumb Down

Balls.

Stonehenge (and Avebury) were built by Neolithic Wiltshiremen to irritate their descendants.

Speaking as a descendant, it worked. Bloody hippies turning up every summer....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Balls.

Not so many when it rains tho' ;)

2. david wilson

>>"Speaking as a descendant, it worked. Bloody hippies turning up every summer...."

Indeed.

How selfish of them to keep turning up and buying overpriced new age tat in the various shops.

Though no doubt, many of those shops are run by terrible outsiders who can't even trace their ancestry back before written records began (or beyond living memory, whichever might be earlier).

I mean, it's not as if people in cities have to put up with that kind of happening, since as we all know, they never take any refugees from any perceived problems with rural life.

1. dogged
        Meh

There are no tat shops in Avebury and only there's only English Heritage tat at Stonehenge.

You're thinking of Glastonbury.

1. Some Beggar

I'm thinking of Wiltshire. That's why I said "Wiltshire". Apologies for any confusion. I'll carve it into a turnip next time.

3. Some Beggar
      Trollface

If it weren't for all those hippies propping up the economy with their dreamcatchers and kaftans, Wiltshire would be the Greater London Suburb of Swindon and a few thousand acres of semi-naked yokels munching turnips.

4. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

There must be more involved than just the equivalent of a 'bring your own beer' BBQ.

1. Tony S

Re: Sir

It probably included women dancing around without their knickers on.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Unhappy

What? To get charred sausages, beer and women with no knickers you need a plain full of megaliths?

Damn. I need a bigger garden.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

women dancing around without their knickers on

Would those be the "battle-hoes" mentioned in the article? No wonder they were laid down, if they kept dancing while upright.

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Joke

No it was a bring your own rock party

3. Luther Blissett

Boneheads

needed somewhere to do their cock-fighting. Apart from that, the architecture celebrates a massive giga-amp electric discharge that was visible the world over at the time, also recorded in rock art, myths, and geology. So, yep, it would have been a party -- at least while they hopped from hiding place to hiding place to avoid the synchrotron radiation (gyrating electrons partying also).

5. Graham Dawson Silver badge

I was always under the impression that it was designed to calculate the winter solstice so they could know when the new year started. And also impress the plebian mass with their magical sacrifices that bring back the sun.

In fact a google search for the paper involved says that, yes, it was designed to mark the winter solstice, not the summer solstice. ALl those hippies turning up in the middle of summer have it completely wrong: they should be dancing around in the nudd in the middle of a snowfield. It'd definitely separate the posers from the genuine believers...

1. Tom 7

Not calculate!!!

There is no calculation involved. It INDICATES the winter solstice - something incredibly easily found out by observation and moving a stick or two about. Whether this has any real significance we will never know.

In a few thousand years time archaeologists may be speculating that we worshipped the horizon as our houses have view-holes aligned to the horizon and who would go to the trouble of making all those bits of wood collect standing water and rot more quickly unless there was some religious significance in it?

1. dogged

Re: Not calculate!!!

It's useful as a kind of calendar. For example, if it's covered in snow, it's probably winter.

1. Alan W. Rateliff, II
          Paris Hilton

And if wet, it's raining. Genius weather device, that!

Paris, wet when raining.

2. Peter Simpson 1

Well, they tried doing it with a simple stick, but Zog kept knocking it over, so they decided to use some stones big enough not to be knocked over by even the most clumsy villager...

3. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Tom, we can guess at its significance from surviving religious behaviours. In Europe, especially northern and western Europe, a great deal of effort (and food) was expended around the winter solstice and a great many rituals evolved around the idea of bringing back the sun and the fear that it would go away forever. It was considered to be the most dangerous and magical time of year, with the nights growing longer and the days growing shorter, darkness and death and emptiness covering the land. Winter was always thought to be the time of year when the world might end.

So fine, measurement rather than calculation but the reasons for it don't change: they wanted to know when the sun was going to come back.

1. Michael Dunn
          Happy

@Graham

"the days growing shorter," an early demonstration of the physical fact that things contract when cooled.

2. Trevor Marron

Wait a minute - Those women were in the nip!

6. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Act of unification?

"Just the work itself [...] would have been an act of unification." I'm absolutely sure, the slaves who pulled the stones felt very unified...

Btw, what happened to the theory of two pipers blowing their pipes and sonic interference pattern?

1. Trevor Marron

Re: Act of unification?

There is no evidence that slave labour was used.

7. Robert E A Harvey

I call Bollocks

Any attempt to interpret a few fragments dug from the ground as evidence of some sort of trade treaty sounds, in the absence of a written text, to be extrapolation beyond the data.

Archaeologists have form in this regard, and this sounds like an idea they had before they started looking.

Go read some of Frances Pryor's extraordinary writings about flag fen and Maxey henge, and you will find that even the most level headed and practical of trowel-wielders can get carried off on flights of fancy.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: I call Bollocks

You call bollocks, they call "ritual significance".

What that actually means is; "We haven't got a fucking clue, but that isn't going to stop us making shit up and arguing the toss about it 'til the cows come home.".

Not a lot of difference really.

2. Helena Handcart
      Mushroom

*sigh*

Yes, finding any amount of stone-age remains is hard, especially before the neolithic, and so yes technically there is quite a lot of extrapolation. But do you think that's because archaeologists can't be arsed finding sites? Or that they like to tell a good story, evidence be damned? That they just dick about in wet muddy holes all day for shits and giggles? No. A site is identified - Stonehenge is a fairly obvious one - and a shit-ton of work is done to gather as much data as possible, a tricky proposition when the site is protected to the hilt. And then years of expert opinion and experience is brought to bare, as well as diverse scientific processes and data analysis, and the data is sorted, sifted, and interpreted for the benefit of you Robert E A Harvey, who clearly has not an iota of an idea of what's involved, but still feel interested enough to pen some vacuous rubbish.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of flights of fancy (Alison Sheridan is guilty of this IMO), and (perhaps deliberately) you happen to choose one of the biggest culprits alive today - and he is certainly not level-headed nor practical. But the likes of Prof Parker Pearson are the leading examples in their field of study. So perhaps you ought to go and read some of his stuff, or any of the myriad sound authors (Scarre, Thomas, Richards are some that spring to mind), and then shut the fuck up.

3. bitten

If the stones were gathered from different far away places, they have a good case - better than any puny modernist 'written text' aka death words.

4. Michael Dunn

"some sort of trade treaty ": the Maastricht Treaty was fairly stonily opaque.

8. ukgnome
    FAIL

And here was me thinking is was built to send "spacey wacey" signals about the pandorica in the underhenge.

****Just realised that this isn't the digitalspy forum

9. Nev
    Coat

No mention of the Beaker People?

Didn't they build Stonehenge V2.0?

"Mee mee mee mee!"

10. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Flame

These 'so called' scientists are going to look awfully stupid when Stonehenge starts to rotate, and then flies off into space on jets of nuclear fire.

11. LJRich
    Thumb Up

It's a matter of taste but...

Of all the henges, it's definitely my favourite.

1. Helena Handcart
      Headmaster

Re: It's a matter of taste but...

Funnily enough, technically it's not a henge - the ditch and bank are the wrong way round.

1. Nev

"Funnily enough, technically it's not a henge - the ditch and bank are the wrong way round."

That's precisely the definition of a henge.

Otherwise it'd be a normal ditch 'n' bank circular defensive rampart/enclosure.

1. Helena Handcart

No, a henge has its ditch inside its bank, whereas an enclosure has the ditch on the outside - just like Stonehenge. Even wikipedia agrees with me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonehenge#Etymology

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

Not built by aliens? No surprise there!

13. Bush_rat
    Trollface

Stonehenge...

Built by farmers?!?!

WRONG! It was built in ancient times before the dawn of history,

And nobody knows who they are what what they were doing,

But we do know that

It's where the demons dwell, where the banshees live, and they do live well.

It's where a mans a man, and the children dance to the pipes of pan.

Tis a magic place where the moon doth rise with a dragons face.

Where the virgins lay.

It's where the cats meow.

The children also like dancing.

Sadly the little people of Stonehenge are lost, and we will never know what they would say to us.

1. Graham Bartlett

Re: Stonehenge...

I think they'd say "Was that feet or inches?"

1. P. Lee
        Coat

and they would continue, "You can tell us in either, because our school system teaches youngsters their 12 times table, rather than relying on counting fingers and toes as your metric system seems to do."

"We also use precise astronomy to determine our seasonal boundaries. We're quite surprised you've lost the ability to do the same."

2. Eddy Ito
      Paris Hilton

"Where the virgins lay."

I don't understand, then they wouldn't be virgins? Perhaps Paris can enlighten.

14. Tom 13

I'm calling the real bollocks!

't wert no unifcation hippie yippy thing. 't were the Doc that saved us again from an alien menace. And the BBC documented it all for us years ago in Stones of Blood.

Thanks again Mr. Baker!

15. 1Rafayal
    Gimp

This is all nonsense.

As everybody knows, Stonehenge was built by the Lizard people as a landing pad for their intergalactic star ships.

Nowadays, it is used as a navigational aid for their black helicopters.

What a lot of people dont know is that in prehistoric times, Stonehenge was surrounded by water. This island was in fact protected by manatees, with frickin lasers on their heads.

The water was drained away when the Lizard people learned how to put lasers on the heads of dolphins. This, in turn prompted a minor scuffle between the ousted manatees and the dolphins which has lead to the world wide decline in the manatee population.

Of course, having an ocean full of mammalian sea dwellers was far more useful to the lizard people that simple manatees. The conflict hasnt ended, the descendants of early manatees still carry on fight, in a much more successful manner. The modern descendants of the manatee are in fact the Japanese, who think nothing of harpooning the odd dolphin in the name of scientific research.

This is all true, it can be found on wikipedia (in about an hour from now.).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Giants

Possibly more likely is that giants built stonehenge. There is plenty of historic evidence of giants actually existing and in many places around the world the skeletons of very large people 3 metres and much higher have been unearthed. Having them lump large rocks around would make far more logical sense.

1. Anonymous Dutch Coward
        Pint

Re: Giants

Yep, I have a hunch some remains me be found in Greece even as we speak...

1. P. Lee
          Joke

They were big, but they were dumb. Most had lost their marbles.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"They were big, but they were dumb. Most had lost their marbles"

That would be why the pins are still standing in their ancient bowling alley! I see it all now!

2. Some Beggar
        WTF?

Can't tell if troll or just stupid.

1. 1Rafayal
          Pint

He is a decoy planted by the Japanese to stop us talking about the worldwide Manatee/Dolphin war.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Stonehenge was built by the Lizard people

Bollocks, it was the Flying Spaghetti Monster that built Stonehenge, and He did it last Thursday. Because he felt like it. Any memory you have it being there before last Thursday was just the work of His noodley appendages on your brains.

1. 1Rafayal

Your one of the Lizard Peoples agents arent you?

Intent on suppressing the truth!!

16. Naughtyhorse

i for one am 100% behind nigel tufnel on this...

Hundreds of years before the dawn of history

Lived a strange race of people... the Druids

No one knows who they were or what they were doing

But their legacy remains

Hewn into the living rock... Of Stonehenge

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

RE: Nigel Tufnel.....

Except that thousands of years ago the utopian collective of once-peaceful farming villages was bankrupted and reverted to internecine conflict because Stonehenge was built in its current glory only through a tragic mix-up between feet and inches!

"Bloody Hell! You spent the collective's entire budget for the next 4 years building this?!! How are we supposed to pay for bloody food this winter?!!? I mean, the thing is as big around as my field!! Look at this drawing, does that look like it was meant to be built in feet!!? And sure, Ian the Midget was almost killed during the construction! He was in danger of being crushed by one of those barmy oversized rocks!!"

The past is prolouge......Stone-enge!!!!!

17. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Happy

"Ritual significance"

It is a catch phrase (probably often correct, maybe wrong as often).

I once had a tour of the "Cave of the Shaman" in southern France. It is named after a VERY male figure scratched in the rock, complete with a huge erection. There were also scratched drawings of women with exaggerated "features". There was a lengthy explanation of fertility rites etc. My suggestion these might simply be stone-age variants of scribbles found on doors of modern day toilets frequented by adolescent males of all ages did not go down well.

1. sandman

Re: "Ritual significance"

I actually used that argument in an archaeology essay - got good marks for it too :-)

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
        Thumb Up

"I actually used that argument in an archaeology essay - got good marks for it too :-)"

Shows there are good teachers around (and with a sense of humour too, one would wager)

2. Rogan Paneer

French archaeologists seem to have this conceptual predisposition- any piece of worked stone, wood, or bone that is significantly longer in one dimension than the other is immediately categorized as a cult or ritual object, or a phallic object. Even when there's a simpler explanation (Occam's razor style), they'll go for some elaborate cultural theory drawing on Foucault or Bordieu.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"significantly longer in one dimension than the other is immediately categorized as a cult or ritual object, or a phallic object"

I fail to see how Occams razor could be a phallic symbol - that would really hurt!

18. Chuckl

Dawn of time, 1901

I always thought it was built from about 1901 or so, sort of an 'artists impression' of what a lot of clever people thought it ought to look like.

Apparently in 1877 it looked like this -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stonehenge_1877.JPG

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

After reading all these well thought out comments I have now collapsed at my desk in fits of giggles as Spinal Tap invades my thoughts.

20. John Sturdy
    Boffin

Perhaps more interesting for geeks is technical speculation about how it was built, such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCvx5gSnfW4

21. Romanopict

Henge's would have been cattle corrals: those with standing stones would have been defensive: they would have been built by early seafaring incomers to Britain who imported their corn, but required their beef to be reared here. Cursus monuments would have been for trapping wild beef and venison before the henge system of protecting domestic cattle came into use; neolithic agriculture is nonsense: before the incomers, there would have been no agriculture in Britain: it would have been a native British stone age people that was the foe of the incomer henge builders. Stonehenge would have been firstly a defensive henge with only the blue stones set in the Aubrey holes; it would then have been chosen for the site of an abattoir to process the domestic cattle, with the sarcens forming the main structure. The blue stones would then have been moved to build Blue Stonehenge: a pen for fasting cattle before slaughter; other blue stones would have been utilised inside the abattoir for laying cow hides over when they were being scraped clean.

1. Helena Handcart

"Henge's would have been cattle corrals: those with standing stones would have been defensive: they would have been built by early seafaring incomers"

Stonehenge is a fair old trek from the sea.

1. Romanopict

The bank of a henge is on the outside because it presents two obstacles to attackers; standing stones provide cover for archers and slingers defending against anyone trying to cross the rampart and ditch: the ditch would trap them; a ditch on the outside of the rampart would only act as a place from where a foe could charge from.

Yes its a fair distance from the sea: but this would be a time when cattle were being reared on open range; avebury would have been built when new range was required to provide beef for the growing populations near the coast; the abattoir would have also have been built for this reason.

1. Some Beggar
          Headmaster

@Romanopict

You keep writing "would". The word you are looking for is "might".

22. veskebjorn
    Paris Hilton

When I "lay" a "battlehoe"....

I am relaxed and filled to overflowing with the milk of human kindness and warm feeling for all of my fellow men and women. Great word choices, Reg! (Paris, for obvious reasons, though in her case I doubt anyone has preceded "ho" with "battle.")

23. Craig Foster
    Holmes

Surprise...

This must be the first time I've heard the words "shock claim" and "written a book" in the same PR piece.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MEPs anyone

Next we'll be hearing that Carnak in Brittany, being larger at 3000 standing stones (and French!) was the site of the first European Parliament, 4000 years BB (before Brussels).

Seriously, the idea that Minoans, who were known to travel a lot, either built Stonehenge to show the flag, or acted as a Neolithic version of Wimpey and provided the stone-moving equipment, is about as provable, and no more far-fetched.

25. Furbian
    Joke

Further invasive examination of these 'stones' is needed.

If Stargate is to be believed, a hoard of treasure lies under Glastonbury Tor, with some alien technology to boot... so it follows that we must pull out these stones and see what's under them! There could be even be inscriptions on the underside of the stones, telling us how to a make a 'Contact' style alien device, in 12 easy to follow steps, though there is more likely be an ancient version of 'Kilroy was here' scrawled on there instead......

26. Allan George Dyer
    FAIL

Which eight stones?

Can you, at least, put all the relevant information in the article? You report, "the eight stones stand for different groups of Britain's earliest farming communities", but I'm damn sure there are more than eight there (unless the black helicopters have meddled with my memory), so which ones are THE eight, and why are those thought to be so significant?

Now, go away and bring back some good information, so I can get back to the normal commentard activity of making stupid jokes.

27. Tzephtan
    FAIL

Stonehenge rebuilt by one man with sticks and ropes

Or maybe Stonehenge has been rebuilt by one guy using basic materials that could have been found back in that time? (Alright, he made the rocks out of concrete, but the moving part was out of basic materials.) Aliens? Who needs them?

I'm shocked you guys haven't heard about this guy!

http://www.theforgottentechnology.com

28. daveeff
    Alien

No Aliens?!?

Who do you think brought about the unification? Who could have travelled south coast to orkneys bringing peace and unification?

The whole thing is was an attempt to create a blue box bigger on the inside than the outside, duh!

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PHALLIC

On a hill, phallic looking "erections" in a circle .... hum ... early college prank, no doubt.

30. Maryland, USA

For the true meaning, look no further than "European Vacation"

Stonehenge is "a thing of glory for a million generations to see":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DewEKz9TzmM

31. Giorgio A. Tsoukalos
    Alien

Maybe Aliens

Aliens Built it

32. Mike Flugennock
    Facepalm

So... no dancing Druid maidens?

So, it was a gesture of unification?

I guess this means that all those descriptions of sleek, nubile Druid maidens wearing flimsy, thin dresses prancing around the stones at the Solstice are pretty much out the window, then?

Huh. Crap.

33. Don Jefe
    Meh

Farmers

I don't know who built Stonehenge, but I know who didn't: Farmers. There is no way farmers would be bothered to build such a thing. They are some of the most practical people in the world and I'm fairly certain it was no different during construction. They had/have better things to do, like farm...

This topic is closed for new posts.