back to article Sony outs Google TV set-top box

Sony's Google TV-based set-top box will go on sale next month. The NSZ-GS7 will be available to buy on 16 July. A version with a built-in Blu-ray player, the NSZ-GS9, will go on sale later in the year, Sony said, though it will arrive in the US first. Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV box News of a European launch leaked in April in a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it playstation certified?

As title.

2. Neil_
    Thumb Down

No DLNA player?

Rubbish! :-/

Basic requirement for a set-top-box. I assume Sony's earlier GoogleTV devices have one.

1. dotdavid

Re: No DLNA player?

I agree this is rubbish, but I wonder how much is because Android (I think) doesn't have a native DNLA implementation.

I would have thought you could download a third party DNLA/UPNP client from the Market/Play though - BubbleUPNP for example.

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge

I assume that you read "The box will also tap into DLNA servers too, Sony said, but that will require a release TBC firmware update." and are just miffed that it needs an update to do it?

However, I'm not sure that I'd buy it based on my experience. I have a Sony Bravia TV that plays a few file types from USB, but won't touch them on DLNA. It's also fussy over which DLNA server it works with, and for example won't touch Twonky, but is OK with the PS3 media server. Sony support says it does what it does, and no more. Also had a problem with it not working with a large USB drive, and the 'help' from Sony support was that it only works with Sony USB drives...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

"the 'help' from Sony support was that it only works with Sony USB drives..."

That's par for the bloody course.

But then, I'm still bitter about my Sony Ericsson P800. Great early smartphone. But Sony 'blessed' it with memory stick only, back when SD cards cost a fortune, and Memory stick was twice that. Plus this was Memory Stick Duo, i.e. smaller form factor with an adaptor to fit the full size. Even though that made no difference to the cost of the identical chips, you can imagine that Sony didn't see things that way...

Plus they used a different version of Symbian to everyone else, so none of the apps that I saw reviews of and liked actually ran on UIQ.

There's got to be loads of money for someone who can produce a set top box that my Mum can use, and market it in a way she can understand. So far I've yet to see anything that can match both of those (quite tough) requirements.

3. BigG

FUGLY

That's gonna flop.

1. ThomH

Re: FUGLY

I would have cited the cost, lack of consumer knowledge and the speed at which online services are being integrated directly into TVs, but to arrive at the same conclusion. Even amongst those who want this sort of set top box, at twice the price of the AppleTV and the Roku they don't seem likely to capture any sort of consumer.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Keyboards on remotes = stupid

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

It doesn't look like there's any way to hold that remote without pressing buttons.

1. Dave 126

Re: Sir

>It doesn't look like there's any way to hold that remote without pressing buttons.

Proximity sensor and, MEMs gyroscopes are not readily visible. Either that, or toggle switch.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tjis us an anazung drvice!

-- Sent from my Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV box

3. TheMidnighToker

strange...

I was just thinking how desperately I wanted a couple of those to bluetooth to my current phone / media-center.

4. KroSha

I've love to see what happens when the dog gets hold of it! My Dad's dogs have already destroyed at least one remote.

5. ukgnome
    Facepalm

I just wonder if Google are spreading themselves a little thin.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DLNA Player

It comes with a free DLNA app already installed

These companies just don't get it though do they? First Microsoft then Apple and now Google none of them have improved the TV viewing experience at all

7. Tom 7

Can an Rpi

do this for a 20th the cost?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can an Rpi

Maybe one day, when it works properly without all the bugs.

2. Joe K

An old Xbox1 can do this, for about a tenner, if youn install XMBC and a few plugins.

1. Bassey

"An old Xbox1 can do this, for about a tenner, if youn install XMBC and a few plugins"

Apart from HDMI and 11n Wi-fi

8. Gomez Adams
    Thumb Down

Same old, same old

Yet another crippled access product the world does not need.

9. Trollslayer

Interesting

This has the Marvell Aramda 1500 device, if it has been set up correctly and DLNA supports HD audio correctly then it could make a VERY good media player.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The GS7 was up for pre-orders in the US at a still mind boggling $199.

Plus 4GB of internal storage for apps and no SD expansion - in 2012. Are they serious?

1. Afflicted.John

Why would you want SD expansion? You are going to ned something more meaty than a 32GB card to make the most of this i.e. a 1TB hard drive - hence the usb ports.

11. DrXym

Nice remote

This device will probably cost too much money but I like the remote control. I hope it can be used a bit like the one on the back of the Vita during times where you're typing on a page like a website and want to move the cursor around.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Review at The Verge

This will be $199 and just got one of lowest review scores I've seen at The Verge.

<--- It should come with a hot surface warning too: "The GS7 gets remarkably hot when it's in use, even with all the vents and fans working away [...] don't put the GS7 on top of anything that can melt."

Not sure why Sony even tried really. Contractual obligation with Google?

13. dotdavid
    FAIL

"We've just heard back from Sony: the price is £199, though retailers will be free to charge what they like.

Hopefully, it will be priced to avoid becoming the flop that the first Google TV set-top box, Logitech's Revue, proved to be. Logitech wanted $300 (£193) for Revue and at that point had no access to apps."

...but it seems not.

I figured $200 would translate to £200, seems to be the norm. But why they think a £199 box will be a sales success when the £193 Revue failed miserably (and that was without alternatives like the RaspberryPI/XBMC and the various ~£70 Android 4 HDMI dongle devices widely available) I have no idea.

If this device was around the £100-mark I reckon it would be a good buy, especially if Google somehow managed to announce a proper IPTV service (you know, so GoogleTV has *TV* in it) for it. But unless retailers heavily discount this I don't see it happening.

14. Lallabalalla
    WTF?

What's this thing even for?

See above...

1. Mark 65

Re: What's this thing even for?

That's what I was wondering. In the UK, unless you want Sky/cable, you've pretty much gotten rid of your set-top box situation as everything is built into the "smart TV". What is this really offering?

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Expensive when Apple product is half this price!

When the competing Apple product is half the price then you know your doing something wrong.

When you make a product that can play bluerays and is more expensive than a more functional product that is over 5 years old made by the same manufacturer - then you know your doing something wrong.

Why are google releasing a product that is overpriced and will only be reduced to a application in the app market for everybodies old android phones with there HDMI and HD quality streaming abilities they will have in a year or so's time in ther sock draws.

If this was a USB stick I could plug into a xbox or a playstation of even a wii, then it would appeal, but would have to be cheaper. But it's not and in that it is expensive compared to anything remotely comparable. This makes me a sad panda and woudl iek to see the teardown on this kit so as the profit margin can be pointed at.

Sadly wont sell, we all know this given the price and will be given away with Sony TV's in a years time as a way to clear out stock.

So if you want one, wait until xmas when they will be way cheaper as nobody brought them.

16. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

£199?

I can't believe Sony seriously priced this higher than a PS3.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google TV - the TV that watches YOU!

Big Brother is watching you whilst are you watching Big Brother.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Big Brother

Re: Google TV - the TV that watches YOU!

Nope. Big brother is watching the inside of the shop's stockroom. And will continue to do so, as consumers look at the display model on the shelves and go huh? What dat for? How much?

18. Karl 14

Boxee rules

Whilst Boxee has some flaws, I have yet to see a better solution

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like