back to article Google unwraps cloudy personnel/fleet tracking via Droid

Google wants to track your staff, and let you know where they are as well as what they're supposed to be doing, with a cloudy dispatch system called Google Maps Coordinate All the employees need is an Android app which will show them the list of outstanding jobs, and let them opt out of the real-time tracking when they're …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

might work

Could certainly have a market. I've been involved with similar projects in the past, as I'm sure many other developers have.

2. ratfox
    Happy

Déjà vu

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/21/google_launches_coordinate/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My first concern would be, how long before google gets bored of this little project like so many others and bins it??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To be fair...

..they haven't done the usual.

Create as free beta for x number of years.

then

a) if enough people use it, slam on some bloody high charges, but as people are using it a lot, they have little choice.

b) not enough people willing to accept above. Bin it.

That said, why would you sign up to pay £9 / month / user with the caveat of "we'll decide how much it's going to cost once you've tested it for us"?

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Holmes

G+ mandatory?

"....we wouldn't put it past the Googleplex to expect all participants to be signed up to Google+."

A fair guess. I'm already thinking that the number of times the Choccy lads' various offerings try to push G+ when I'm using 'em is beginning to look suspiciously like the actions of an organisation in abject panic.

At least I can ignore Farcebook and Twatter without other applications spamming me about how much I'm missing out all the time.

5. Joe Harrison

Latitude?

Isn't this identical to Google's free service at latitude.google.com?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Latitude?

No, because this is a work scheduler and field tracker.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EPIC fail of the week.

I mean really, screwing it up in the first sentence...

"Google wants to track your staff,"

As The Register printer last week:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/21/google_launches_coordinate/

"Chu talked up privacy, insisting that all location data is fully encrypted at rest and never shared with Google."

Still nice try.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: EPIC fail of the week.

Well, maybe this one is the truth?

How does Google display a centralised tracking view in their own maps if data is never shared with Google?

The fact that it requires logging in to Google (or G+) makes that claim even harder to believe.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Needs spoofing

On a rooted phone this must be open to the equivalent of tachograph tampering.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like