back to article Sony, Panasonic to partner for OLED TV push

Sony may have shown off its Crystal inorganic LED TV at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) earlier this year, but it clearly reckons there's money in organic LED technology or it wouldn't have agreed to partner with Panasonic on OLED TV development and production. The pair's work will, they said today, come to fruition in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trollslayer
    Thumb Up

OLED's time has come

Plasma has been pushed to (if not beyond) it's limit, OLED seems to be ready to offer the next step in display technology.

I hope this works out.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Happy

Re: OLED's time has come

I agree. 2HD or 4HD would be even better.

Sure the amount of bandwidth would be high, but if we sacrificed 1/2 of the 500 useless cable channels, we could get the necessary bandwidth for 2HD.

Maybe that will also kill off this reality TV madness killing 2birss with one stone?

2. Blank Reg

Re: OLED's time has come

But will it really matter? I doubt a picture quality improvement is enough to get people to upgrade from their current HDTVs. The problem for all the TV manufacturers is that the bulk of the HD upgrade cycle is done in the western world. Most people have at least one now and aren't going to rush out and get a shiny new TV without some real reason to do so. While the picture may be much better on these TVs the fact is most people can't tell the difference unless you put the 2 TVs side by side.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Devil

@Blank Reg Re: OLED's time has come

Wiil it matter?

It depends on the consumer.

I bought the original Sony PB1 series when they first came out. (It doubled as a presentation monitor for my SOHO. :-) My wife didn't get it until I showed her 1080p content and regular TV content side by side (I was flipping between the sources.) HD vs 2HD or 4HD, you can see the difference.

At first, the 'pro-sumer' will be willing to spend the money. But at a certain price point... and source content in 2HD or 4HD is readily available... you can bet people will want it. Looking at 3D, that was a fad. 2HD and 4HD are cleaner sharper images.

With Gorilla Glass thinner lighter and larger TVs are coming out. Definitely the market will slowly come to purchase them. Of course to your point, they already have a flat panel, so why another one?

In my case, I am currently using a computer monitor in my SOHO so I have a nice place to put a very large hi def screen.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A technology in it's infancy

Wait 5 years then they will be reasonably priced and have a longer bathtub failure rate otherwise it's early adopters blues.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn

Panasonic is a company that has done little wrong so far in retail electronics, whereas Sony has committed about every conceivable sin going, including the development of rootkits and retrospective altering of sales specification (the "other OS" option removal in PS/3). I hope Panasonic has insulated itself from that side of Sony, it would be a shame to taint a fairly good reputation.

4. DEAD4EVER
    Facepalm

oleds hum

while i am tempted buy oleds the price puts me off badly but that's due to the fact its new technology, if i was to upgrade then i am quite happy just to upgrade to led for the time been. its not that i don't want the latest and greatest tech i do but sorry the price tag is the problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: oleds hum

Pocketmoney just not enough for an OLED huh?

5. TWB

It all sounded so promising....

I used to 'lecture' broadcast engineers in display technology about 10 years ago. Then CRTs were still considered best for colour gamut while LCD colour monitors/displays still had somewhere to go. OLED was talked about then as being much easier to manufacture and potentially so much better than LCD - I wonder what went wrong....(apart from me changing jobs and losing interest)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It all sounded so promising....

I would say that LCD still has a long way to go before matching CRT in many respects. OLED and FED/SED are both superior technologies, unfortunately both have had problems in scale-up to make large displays that are active for long stretches of time. As far as I know, the trouble of making the organic materials (especially those of the blue subpixels) last long enough has been the primary issue hindering OLED mass production.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kind of bitter-sweet

Well it's about time. I just wish that FED/SED could be available as an option as well.

Does anyone know how they have solved the problem of color imbalance related to the shorter life span of blue subpixels?

7. handle

$10,000 (£6425)

Come on El Reg - I thought only the BBC did such silly conversions.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£6.5k? For a marginally different TV?

Righty-oh. Jog on!

It's an incremental development, at best. Quite simply nothing exciting, at all. Oh look, the picture is marginally better. I think I'd rather get out of the house for a bit. Outside my house is the most HD image I've ever seen. You can smell it and touch it too, now THAT'S amazing ;)

9. kimdo

I've seen the lg oled telly in action and the difference with lcd or plasma is not marginal. You've never seen a picture quality like this. I actually remember thinking that the image looked almost better than with my own eye! Ok it's stupid but you see my point ;)

10. kierna

I guess japanese companies are now behind in new technologies and they need to partner to compete with the korean brands. End of an era… Anyway that lg oled tv seems amazing. Oled is definitely the future of tv and I'm glad lg was the one to gamble on it first because I always thought they made good televisions.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like