back to article NASA uses vertical treadmill to simulate zero-G jogging

NASA boffins have developed a curious new method of simulating the effects of exercise on astronauts in weightless conditions. They plan to conduct Earth-based trials on human test subjects suspended horizontally in mid-air while running on a vertical treadmill. "These studies are a key component of our research into how we …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tef
    Happy

Lost opportunity

...to use an "amusing" title for the article.

eg "Nasa conducts "horizontal jogging" experiment, claims it is all a simulation :^D

2. PaddyR
    Paris Hilton

Surely

A couple of bungee cords hooked into your waistband, could then be hooked to the treadmill to simulate gravity, could someone tell me how to apply for a research grant, I could split it between this artificial gravity and the sexy party drinking projects.

Paris cause surely her knickers will be on bungee cords

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Wrong picture

there's a picture of someone engaged in what can only be described as "horizontal jogging" whilst tied up, and someone else is apparently "typing one handed" whilst looking at the computer.

Neither of these parts of the image is suitable for a family publication such as yours.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I'm feeling a cold coming on.

"The straight-up treadmill is officially known as Standalone Zero Gravity Locomotion Simulator, SZGLS."

...Gesundheit.

5. Acme Fixer

New Way of Sleepwalking :o)

Looks to me like he could lay down and fall asleep, and then sometime later in a vivid dream, start locomoting like he was sleepwalking. Fun!!

Or else it's a new way of relaxing while jogging... a couch potato's dream!

Think about this. If one was really in microgravity (space) and tied 20 pound oxygen bottles to his legs and arms, the inertia of them during exercise would give him a lot more exercise. Just as long as they don't fly off and go thru an instrument panel!

6. Damian Gabriel Moran
    Coat

NASA

Nobody Acts Serious Anymore

7. Jack Irving
    Thumb Up

Check out a real anti-gravity treadmill

Using technology originally developed at NASA, Alter-g (www.alter-g.com) has developed the first commercially available anti-gravity treadmill. Used by elite athletes and professional sports teams including Nike Oregon Project runners and US Olympians, 9 NBA teams, 3 NFL teams and more, the G-Trainer is quickly becoming "the" tool. Go to www.alter-g.com for more information.

Jack Irving

VP Sales and Marketing Alter-G Inc.

8. Scott

Interesting but not much use

The alter g is interesting but not much use for what they are testing. "removes all the normal, longitudinal forces experienced by the body in normal gravity"

Although you wouldn't want to eat to many beans before using one, Increase the pressure in the dome and you wouldn't get much of a workout at all

9. Dave Mundt

Not THAT new

Hum...I recall seeing this same rig in NASA publicity photos and some Space Camp photos from the 60s and 70s. Perhaps the "new" part is simply the use of computers to even out the experience.

I am not sure that it would be easy to ignore the pull of gravity down from one's back, though, so it is hardly a "great" simulation. Still, it would be interesting to give it a try and find out.

Dave Mundt

10. Tim

Batman

Wow they've spent probably a small fourtune to find out what it would feel like to be batman in the 70's TV show.

Money well spent.

This topic is closed for new posts.