back to article Nintendo supersizes 3DS

Nintendo has revealed an larded-up 3DS handheld console with a display almost twice the size of its predecessor, although the absence of other improvements has left fans up in arms. The Nintendo 3DS XL ups its two display sizes from 3.53in and 3.02in, to 4.88in and 4.18in, respectively. Battery life has been improved …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg J Preece

Oh wow, what a shock. No-one could have seen this coming from ten light years away, no sir. It's not like they already did this once with the DS.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nintendo has revealed an larded-up 3DS handheld

It's a, not an. You use a before consonant sounds such as larded, and an before vowel sounds. An example of this would be an elephant. Of course this is vowel sounds, there are some words that begin with consonant which sound like vowels. For example, an hour. Although it begins with a consonant, the sound is that of a vowel because the h is silent.

Although I always get confused when it comes to acronymes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nintendo has revealed an larded-up 3DS handheld

Just a note, I wouldn't normally be quite such an arse about it, but this is an artical, forum posts I partly expect people not to get grammar, not everyone speaks english, and even the english can't type it half the time. But considering this is an artical on a 'reputable site' I have to hold it to a higher degree of standards, I hope you understand.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't normally be quite such an arse about it, but:

- acronyms, not acronymes

- English, not english

- article, not artical

I hope you understand.

2. Steve E-G
      Headmaster

The h in hour may be silient for you but not for me thus I would not use 'an' and would say for example 'Excuse me tradesman could you spare a hour of your time'.

1. Dig
        WTF?

Ugh

In which language do you converse. The aitch in hour is silent so an hour is correct. Or was this a class based stereotype joke thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Ugh

H in 'historic' isn't silent, but I hear them say "an historic" all the time on telly :)

2. DryBones
        WTF?

A "hower" then?

3. M Gale

You are Hyacinth Bucket in disguise, and I claim my £5.

Oh, and my pick of the Royal Doulton.

3. wowfood

Finally

I didn't buy the 3ds primarily because the screen was just too small. Although evn with the new "XL" version my phone screen is still bigger.

At least now if I were to buy one I'd be able to see what I'm playing...

Would somebody mind trading eyes with me?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Yawn

Another hardware refresh for those with whiney kids and too much money.

5. Shane8
    WTF?

Since when does $$$ to £££ actually add up ?

$199 (£128).

more like: $199 (£230).

1. Steve Evans

Re: Since when does $$$ to £££ actually add up ?

Indeed. I'd be more up in arms about their complete inability to use a calculator!

2. npo4

Re: Since when does $$$ to £££ actually add up ?

Well Amazon lists it's preorder price at £180, so hopefully it isn't that much.

6. FartingHippo
    Unhappy

Losing it

Nintendo is like RIM 3 years ago. Sitting fat and happy with their success, but slowly losing it with lacklustre updates and misguided new products.

Big shame.

7. M Gale

Am I the only person here who likes their 3DS?

Just asking. Games are cheaper, hardware is cheaper, gameplay just as awesome as any of the competition.

...and I used to be SUCH a Sega fan...

1. ThomH

Re: Am I the only person here who likes their 3DS?

I think its main problems are that the hardware isn't as cheap as 'free with a mobile phone contract' and the games then don't cost 69p, despite the perception that many of the gimmicky third party titles aren't even worth that.

It's Android and iOS that Nintendo should view as competition, not Sony.

1. toadwarrior

You also don't get games like super mario land on a mobile. You get rubbish. If you get a decent game it's ancient (max payne, gta 3) and the controls are dire. I'd gladly pay a significant amount more than 69p for a decent game than buy up a pile of poor 69p games.

2. Law
      WTF?

"Games are cheaper"

Are you high?? Walk around any Game or Toys R Us... Xbox and PS3 games that came out 6-12 months ago are around the £15-£20 mark... Zelda OOT, Mario 3D and several other games are still costing upwards of £30.

I love my 3DS, but the price they charge for the games in shops and in their online store is well more than I'm willing to pay for a download handheld game now. Been seriously considering selling it and getting a tablet instead.

1. toadwarrior

Shopping at Toys R Us is half your problem.

Mario and Zelda are both insanely popular still so their price stays up. But you can find games like Ridge racer and street fighter 4 for around £10. I own both and they're well made thoroughly enjoyable games.

Games that have lose sales get their prices dropped. So yes if you buy PS3 games that no one is buying they're cheaper where as Call of duty MW3 still sells around £30 on Amazon and generally around £40 in most shops.

8. MJI Silver badge

£200

I could get a Vita for that with TWO analogue sticks (got 2 boys clamouring for one)

1. toadwarrior
      Trollface

Re: £200

Now only if it had games.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: £200

Now only if it had games

Erm I am a huge Uncharted fan.

9. Roger B
    Thumb Up

I like it!

I always said I would never buy one unless they did an XL version, thinking it would never happen, oh well, have to see what the price is perhaps. Talking of price would a better retail price conversion be from Yen to Pound as I am guessing they are priced in Japan and this is converted to Dollars, not sure if thats makes a difference though.

Having not yet sucked into buying a mobile phone, the options for me are either Sony or Nintendo for portable gaming, so the Android/iOS argument goes out the window and as toadwarrior said Super Mario Land 3DS or Mario Kart 7 with proper controls is so much better than using a touchscreen, although I admit, after these two titles whats next?

I do seem to remember reading recently that Hiroshi Iuchi, developer of Ikaruga was developing a 3D shooter, so hopefully that will make an appearance.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. M Gale

Re: I like it!

My 3DS library (so far):

Mario Kart 7 (awesome)

Splinter Cell 3D (quite nice)

Super Star Kartz (avoid this badly-programmed awfulness)

Sonic Generations (yay nostalgia)

Starfox 3D (another nostalgia trip.. is the N64 version but stereoscopic)

Super Mario 3D Land (fun!)

F1 2011 (awesome, but better with the 3D off)

My DS library:

Scribblenauts (amusing)

Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (yes, that one. Quite good if you like brainteasers.)

Mech Assault: Phantom War (a bit crap to be honest, I much prefer the PC Mechwarrior games)

Nintendo Touch Golf (as good as anything EA make)

Retro Atari Classics (yay nostalgia)

Sprung: The Dating Game (it cost me 50p.. still awful though)

Mario Kart DS (just try and beat me, I double dare you)

Cars (awful)

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 (see Touch Golf)

FIFA 07 (it's a football game, dunno why I bought it)

Sonic Rush (kinda fun)

Metroid Prime: Hunters (pretty good)

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (it needs to be more open ended, but otherwise fun)

Call of Duty 4 (yes really, on a DS, and with multiplayer too)

And then a number of 3D titles I ended up getting from the online store, like Dillon's Rolling Western (quite good variation on Tower Defense), and Rytmiks Retrobits (8 bit chip tune maker.. enjoyable).

All in all, there's quite a lot of stuff out there.

1. Roger B

Nice list, I do have some DS titles already one of my favourites being Call of Duty 4! The multiplayer off a single cartridge reminded me of GoldenEye quite a bit, I do like the idea of a good golf game as well and if there is an alternative to anything that EA make then I'll give it a go, I guess now all I am waiting for is a good price, fingers crossed the maximum price is the £180 currently on play.com/Amazon

1. toadwarrior

I still play True Swing Golf for the DS. It's probably dirt cheap if you can find it but it's also coming up on 7 years old so I doubt it's in the shops any more.

10. miknik

Do these play video?

I bought a 3D kit for my GoPro, I would be quite interested in one of these if it could play back my 3D movies.

1. M Gale

Re: Do these play video?

3DS records and plays stereoscopic video, but I'm pretty sure it's in its own dicky format. Looking on Google seems to show some software around for converting to/from 3DS format. I'd suggest having a look!

11. MJI Silver badge

They screwed up with this one

They should have built in the second nub like the 3DS addon

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like