back to article Gone fishin' with Nokia

Nokia sign dismantled, with letters rearranged to spell 'ONKIA' A dismantled Nokia sign at Oulu's Technology Village, Finland Reg reader Andy Crofts snapped the above picture - after re-arranging the Nokia sign to read "ONKIA", the Finnish verb to fish with a rod and line. Andy was inspired by a story on YLE, Finland's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been there many times.

The Jekyll and Hyde of factory towns, Lovely in the summer, hellhole in the winter.

C-

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. dotdavid
    Coat

"Unfortunately, it was too heavy to steal, especially as I had only a bike, and my mate with a pickup was far too rat-faced to nick it."

NOKIA = No Kia?

1. fishman

Kia is doing well, setting sales records, getting great reviews.

No Kia? Just the opposite.

1. dotdavid
        Thumb Up

Actually I meant if they had a Kia they could have carried the sign away.

But your way works too ;-)

3. J. R. Hartley

OINKA

The pigs.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For all it's worth: Nokia, you should have used MeeGo instead of going for Windows 7.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Question

Is it technically possible for Nokia to release an optional MeeGo update(?) on their existing phones which won't be receiving the Windows 8 upgrade?

Microsoft decision not to allow the phones -running Windows 7/7.5 (which should include recently announced ones)- to be upgraded to Windows 8, must have caught fee people off-guard and pissed off OEMs.

1. ScissorHands

Re: Question

MeeGo Harmattan is for OMAP, Lumias are Snapdragons. Can't be done unless Nokians dumps the source somewhere.

+1 for getting an N9.

2. Bad Beaver
      Facepalm

Hell, YES. Go get an N9 while you can.

So true. I recently picked up an N9 for I could not stand the thought of them selling out before I could get one. The thing is pure sex – and that's straight from the box, I did not even start to "fuck with it" yet in terms of hacks / unintended functionality. You have to see it to believe it.

The main thought is disbelief – where I live, they didn't even bother bring it to market. Damn, what could have been.

3. Karirunc

Mr Flop ensured that was not going to happen.. because he moonlights for .. err Loves M$

4. winrez
      Happy

Microsoft will bail them out

There is NO way Microsoft is going to let their exclusive carrier of WP7 & WP8 go down the tubes

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

or xhosa (with a bit of imagination)...

aikona means "no" in xhosa so i guess its "aikona nokia".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: or xhosa (with a bit of imagination)...

you can bean elop with the extra "a"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Come on...

Is nobody going to comment on how pointless this item was?

Agh. I want my 2 minutes back, plus a minute for your crap comments, plus a minute for the time it took me to write this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Come on...

We've deposited the refund in your Netwest account, please go ahead and make use of them.

2. the-it-slayer
      Pint

You are aware this was placed bootnotes.

Definition: "A note is a string of text placed at the bottom of a page in a book or document or at the end of a text."

I want 5 minutes back from you for your moaning because misunderstanding the text. Now make that 9 minutes wasted of your life. Enough time to drink a beer and go home.

3. Lamont Cranston

No joke can ever be funny, if it has to be explained. Still, we didn't have to read it...

7. gaz 7
    Mushroom

Getting even better...

Now announced that Nokia are already reducing the sales forecasts for the Lumias, now that Ballmer's announced no upgrades to WP8.

Strange, cos I thought Elop was already doing a fine job crashing Nokia into the ground as quick and as hard as he could - They've now found a way to speed it up even more. Bastards.

Shoulda stuck with Maemo and Meego - letting someone else control your destiny, especially microsoft is never a good idea...

Apocolypse for well..that should be obvious

8. Anna Logg

Way to go Andy! The spirit of Seymour Bybus lives on!

1. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

Heh!

You sussed me!!! Seymour Bybus is still kicking...

Ta muchly!

9. richard_s_shepherd

The motto stands…or stood, in three-mile high, illuminated letters, near the complaints department spaceport on Eadrax. “Share and enjoy!” Unfortunately, its weight was such that shortly after it was erected, the ground beneath the letters caved in and they dropped for nearly half their length through the underground offices of many talented young complaints executives - now deceased. The protruding upper halves of the letters now appear, in the local language, to read “Go stick your head in a pig”, and are no longer illuminated - except at times of special celebration.

10. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Trollface

Fishing again?

Didn't Nokia start out by making rubber wellington boots? ideal for fishing...

11. Grantzy
    Happy

Bravo

One has to admire the dedication..an hour to find then to rearrange sign...obviously the fishing wasn't too good that day : )

12. John Browne 1
    Thumb Up

Maybe they should go back to using their 1865 logo.

This one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nokia_logo_(1865).svg

Most appropriate.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like