back to article Vatican subtly shifts its position on The Blues Brothers

The Vatican has subtly shifted its stance on the Blues Brothers, with in-house(ofgod) magazine Osservatore Romano declaring the 33-year-old movie “a modern classic”. The latest blessing, which coincides with an Italian outing for the movie on the 30th anniversary of John Belushi’s death, represents a reworking of the paper’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. EddieD

Oh dear.

I agree with the Vatican.

Definitely one of the all time greats - totally harmless, incredible fun, superb music - and a smoking hot Carrie Fisher with assault rifles, flame throwers and rocket launchers.

And my favourite line "You're gonna look pretty stupid trying to eat corn on the cob.......with NO FUCKING TEETH!"

1. I'm Brian and so's my wife
      Thumb Up

Re: Oh dear.

Upvoted purely for mentioning Carrie, lovely Carrie.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So hate me why don't you

but I prefer Blues Brothers 2000. I watch it about once a month and only skip throught the bit with Blues Traveller behind the motel, I really should edit that bit out.

1. thefutureboy

Re: So hate me why don't you

OK, as you wish.

I own Blues Brothers 2000 as it is in a double pack with the original. My love of the original, however, has prevented me from ever watching the sequel.

And remember, you can't lie to a nun.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've got the double pack too, it was cheaper than buying Blues Brothers by itself. I can only assume because you might accidentally put BB2k in by mistake.

I was thinking about destroying the BB2k disk, but realised that it it did go into the player by mistake, I'd be so drunk that I wouldn't notice anyway...

1. Oliver Mayes

I've got the double pack too. The first (only?) film is one of my all-time favourites.

Watched the sequel once, nodded solemnly, put it back in it's place and haven't watched it since.

2. Haku

@thefutureboy

I also own that double pack DVD set, only watched TBB2000 once, which was one too many times

My brother managed to buy the original film without the abomination sequal, we both love TBB and he hasn't (luckily) seen TBB2000 and I will not ever subject it to him, ever.

P.S. Orange whip?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

HELL YES BLUES BOTHERS 2000 WAS BETTER AND SO WAS ROCKY IX

1. Asiren
        Trollface

CAPS SO IT MUST BE TRUE!

3. Len Goddard
    Happy

Reconsidering

So, "digital technology" is now a symptom of diabollically inspired anti-Catholic propoganda?

Nice to know.

Meanwhile, now that this film has received divine blessing I shall have to reconsider my attitude towards it. I used to like it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reconsidering

No problem for me, I always thought it was tedious crap.

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

So you're willing to stop liking a good film simply because someone you don't like thinks it's a good film? There's a term for that. Tip of my tongue... oh... ah yes.

"Fuckwit". Seems to cover it quite nicely really.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Fuckwit"

I think these days they are called "Hipsters"

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm inclined to think it's less about someone he doesn't like liking a film that he does and more of an institution with a history of mass murder, torture, pedophilia, slavery, avarice, genocide, sexism, homophobia, theft and fraud liking something that he does. I might be wrong.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

And that changes what, precisely? He's still choosing his tastes based on whether or not somebody or some body of people to whom he is negatively predisposed are expressing a positive opinion about it. It would be like me deciding that I didn't like Star Trek because the current Russian president penned a positive review, or declaring I no longer thought positively about Blade Runner because Tony Blair liked it.

4. Colin Miller

No digital tech?

Blues Brothers was released in 1980. What tech were they expecting?

There were police mainframes, but how many records were stored on them is another matter.

The game'n'watch series was released that year; the original Gameboy was release 9 years later.

1. Peter Simpson 1

Re: No digital tech?

Elwood: Man, I haven't been pulled over in six months. I bet those cops have got "SCMODS".

Jake: "SCMODS?"

Elwood: "State County Municipal Offender Data System."

5. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Joke

Sir

I have been on a mission many times in the past, the end result of which could be equated to a religious experience.

Not sure the Vatican would approve however.

1. Anomynous Coward

Re: Sir

I think they would sanction your missionary position.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Missionary position?

You sick fuck.

6. mark 63 Silver badge
    Happy

Lets get to the gig

Fav quote "Lets get to the gig" - i say it to myself everytime i'm going somewhere :)

1. jai

Re: Lets get to the gig

too many great quotes from that movie, but my favourite of favourites will always be:

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

1. FartingHippo
        Devil

"how much for the women?"

1. ColonelClaw

What kind of music do you usually have here?

Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western.

2. daveeff
        Happy

Although she's not a fan of the movie, at the start of any exciting journey, my wife will say

"It's 106 miles to [destination], we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

As a muso I AM a fan I will say (with the least provocation)

[ are you boys the police? ]

"No ma'am, were musicians"

Great band, I have all the albums - sad to have lost Donald “Duck” Dunn recently :-(

7. TRT Silver badge

So do you think...

they'll give "Life of Brian" the seal of approval anytime, too?

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: So do you think...

Praise Be!!

8. xyz Silver badge
    Devil

I always thought they would like the Nazis in it

Fond memories of the olden days

1. Peter Simpson 1

Re: I always thought they would like the Nazis in it

I *hate* Illinois nazis!

9. JDX Gold badge

What about...

...Nuns on the Run?

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: What about...

Or indeed "The Pope Must Die"?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: What about...

... known in the US as 'The Pope Must Diet'

Seriously.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102691/releaseinfo#akas

10. Simon 26
    Devil

How do they rate..

The Pope Must Die ?

A totally corrupt and very scheming Vatican in league with mobsters and arms dealers looking to put a feeble idiot into the role of pope - and the film is pretty much the same, except with the surreal idea of a decent man getting the job by accident.

1. FartingHippo
      Mushroom

Re: How do they rate..

You, sir, will burn.

2. philbo
      Devil

Re: How do they rate..

>The Pope Must Die ?

>A totally corrupt and very scheming Vatican in league with mobsters and arms dealers looking to put a feeble idiot into the role of pope - and the film is pretty much the same, except with the surreal idea of a decent man getting the job by accident.

Possibly my favourite el Reg comment, ever :-)

Quoted for absolute truth.

11. Flugal

The day I start taking advice or guidance from the vatican on, er, anything, is the day my sorry life should be over.

12. TeeCee Gold badge

I'm guessing.....

.....they're still not endorsing "Dogma"?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: I'm guessing.....

Or End of Days.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm guessing.....

Perhaps oddly they do endorse The Exorcist, but in fact I can see why.

13. Richard Scratcher
    Thumb Up

Jesus H. God-bastard Christ...

...they have finally seen the light!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm...

Best car chases ever.

My personal favourite is the one in the Mall at the start of the film.

1. Lloyd

Re: Hmm...

Do you have this in a Miss Piggy?

15. Cameron Colley

Am I the only one who doesn't like the film?

Could never see the attraction. Think I'd rather go to mass and that's saying something.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Am I the only one who doesn't like the film?

Yes, you are the only one. Don't feel left out though, the rest of us need someone to keep the drinks and popcorn coming while we watch the film.

16. David Bird
    Thumb Up

I had two hours to kill back in 1980...

...in the vicinity of Leicester Square. Had never heard of the film, or of Dan Aykroyd or John Belushi. Didn't recognise Carrie Fisher out of her Leia gear. Bemused doesn't begin to describe my reaction. Emerged into the daylight not being quite sure what I had just seen but convinced of its brilliance.

17. Spoonsinger
    Windows

To quote Bluto in Animal House,

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

18. Pen-y-gors

Bring on the Babel fish

"the arrogance intellectualistic of alchemies postmodern” - don't you adore Google Translate! But I am still incredibly impressed by what it can manage - never mind massive technical advances (rounded corners on a phone) - this is seriously clever, nay, paradigm-changing tech!

1. Shakje

Re: Bring on the Babel fish

Strangely, if I translate it to Italian and back I get:

"intellectual arrogance of postmodern alchemy"

both in GT and BF. Maybe they got an Italian who can't speak English to translate it?? I'm assuming this was the original meaning...

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

I'd say it was written by someone who is more used to Latin grammar than English. It's an unusual construction but it does make perfect sense.

2. stuartnz

Is L'Osservatore Romano actually written in Italian? I thought that like all official Vatican publications, its primary language was Latin? That would explain the presence of a word like alchemy, a practice likely responsible for the continued existence of many inmates of the College of Cardinals, it seems.

19. MJI Silver badge

Brilliant film

And my favourite musical.

Great for dealing with people who want you to say sound of music or similar.

Best soundtrack ever!

1. Snafu 2

Re: Brilliant film

Not Rocky Horror or Tommy (although I'm not sure the later qualifies as 'musical' - billed as 'rock opera')? There's one other I can remember but can't bring the name to mind..

Anyway, I'd put BB at the top of my list for 'Most re-watched film' anytime..

1. Corinne

Re: Brilliant film

!There's one other I can remember...."

Maybe Little Shop of Horrors?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would have thought the Pope would love the BB.

Sure there's a nun violently assaulting one of her orphan kids, but there's no child buggery, or spooky pseudo child indoctrination with fairy stories. The Vatican should be overjoyed the lengths they went to, to find a place where kids were only tortured with sticks and thrown down the stairs.

21. joejack
    Megaphone

Get your tickets, folks!

http://www.groupon.com/deals/july-wrigley-movie-night

22. Jason Togneri
    Go

Best Vatican-related movie ever...

...is the little-known Bruce Willis classic "Hudson Hawk". I could watch it over and over again easily, and I can never get that damned song out of my head.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102070/

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Canonisation anyone?

It's good to see the Vatican begin to lose its medieval worldview and become more touchy-feely. Perhaps the decision to replace Blues Brothers as THE Catholic movie with the Exorcist will be shelved in favor of Forrest Gump or the Da Vinci Code.

Of course, there are limits. I heard from a very dependable source that a few years ago an Italian airline was forced to revise its playlist to include only G-rated in-flight movies, after a Cardinal complained of accidentally viewing "Showgirls-Unrated" crossing the Atlantic. The stinger was he watched it TWICE! Perhaps just a bit too touchy-feely?

24. Triggerfish

Since the Blues Brothers

I have always thought of nuns as Penguins

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WHat does the Pope think...

...of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?

1. Lord Lien
      Pint

@ Thad....

... don't think anyone gives too shites anymore what the Pope thinks about anything.

The religious mo-mo's have lost there grip on being able to dictate to the masses years ago & ever since then we have been able to enjoy life a bit more.

Beer, because everyone loves a nice pint :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: don't think anyone gives too shites....

I'll drink to that!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paraphrasing....

"Use of excessive force in apprehending the Blues Brothers has been authorized...."

And I miss James Brown and John Lee Hooker :(

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The best part? It had real elements in it too!

First time I'm gonna go AC, but for good reasons :-)

I love this movie, I watched it several times and I was especially amused with Elwood losing his license after which Jake scolds him for it: "Now they got your address!".

"No they haven't, it says 1060 West Addison". "That's the Wrigley Field...".

No literal quote btw, but you get the idea.

Now, you have to know that Sony and their PSN network only allow people to use the store from their own nationality. People in France use the French store, people in Belgium and Holland the Dutch store, and so on. However the US store holds the most action and as such lots of people from outside the US love to nose around or purchase stuff from it.

Only problem is that you need to have an US address in order to be able and setup a US like PSN account. As such many people from Europe live in US police stations, firehouses, hospitals...

And I know someone who alegidly lives at 1060 West Addison. An address known from a movie which turned out to be real. This *IS* the address of the Wrigley Field.

Obviously AC because I know I'm taking major chances here. What, Sony pulling away my, errr, the account I know off?

Nah, that's the least of my worries. With today's society I'm more worried about some nutjob reading this and starting to put the blame on this awesome movie for people (ab)using the addresses in it instead of blaming me for doing so. Because that's the way things seem to work these days.

Awesome movie!

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: The best part? It had real elements in it too!

I live in Sonys US headquarters!!!!

28. James 63
    Angel

They're getting better...

Only 33 years for the Vatican to admit they made the wrong call on this one. A vast improvement on the treatment Galileo got. That's progress.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

It was the penguin and her cane, that led to my love of discipline.

"Whack! Whack! Whack! - across both cheeks....."

Some great things such as bi sexual, trans gender, gay and lesbian, S&M, B&D, cross dressing etc., have come from catholicism, so I guess that does not leave much for the non christians to enjoy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It was the penguin and her cane, that led to my love of discipline.

Odd, I thought most of those were things the "Romans had done for us" - pre AD

1. Richard 120
        Headmaster

Re: It was the penguin and her cane, that led to my love of discipline.

pre AD -

Would that not be BC?

</pedant>

30. JaitcH
    Thumb Up

John Belushi, sadly missed, but what a memory

My favourite scene was the Mother Superior at the top of the stairs.

The mall demolition scene was filmed in 1979 at the Dixie Square Mall located in Harvey, Illinois which was essentially abandoned until it's official demolition began in February 2012!

31. Trollslayer
    Thumb Down

Parasites

'nuff said.

32. Mr Larrington
    Happy

That...

...would be an ecumenical matter.

33. Richard Bragg
    Happy

I enjoyed both films

The music in both is good and the sequel wasn't too bad. At least they didn't just try to replace the dead cast with new actors who are changed by the rigours of time.

34. Burch
    Linux

The Penguin

Quite surprised they're so fond of it given the depiction of the violent nun.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6hlm6_blues-brothers-penguin_fun

Great film though.

35. Gobhicks
    Linux

Damn...

...someone beat me to the penguin!

36. mhenriday
    Boffin

Who says the Church, under the benign leadership of Herr Ratzinger,

hasn't accommodated to the pace of the modern world ? Thirty-three years is the blink of an eye ; after all, it took the institution 267 years to revoke the Holy Inquisition's verdict on Galileo Galilei and «Dialogo sopra i due massimi sistemi del mondo». What's not to like ?...

Henri

37. Esskay
    Thumb Up

"We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, its dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

"Hit it!"

This topic is closed for new posts.