back to article Crime Map

It’s often been said that there’s big difference between the public’s perception of crime – getting worse all the time, the country’s going to the dogs, blah-Daily-Mail-blah – and the actual crime figures that have shown a decrease in recent years. Of course, there’s plenty of statistical information about UK crime rates …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whilst you're stood there checking the local crime I wonder if anyone will nick your phone?

2. Cthonus
    FAIL

And elsewhere in the UK...

"However, the Crime Map app helps you to make sense of all the statistics by providing a quick overview of crime in your manor and elsewhere in the UK."

This would be the app entitled Crime Map ENGLAND & WALES?

Would be nice if your review had brought that to attention rather than blindly ignoring half the regions that make up the British Isles.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It was also interesting to note that my local park – Victoria Park in east London – was surprisingly free of active felons."

I assume its down to the crimes reports being associated with a street address - thus anything in the park will appear on a neighbouring street.

1. Richard Scratcher

Re "free of active felons"

Might be useful for crims searching for richer pickings.

2. Andy Nugent

That's correct. All crime data is linked to streets. So you see spikes outside shopping centres and similar places that attract large crowds.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Blip

Watching the defectives

I loved the Elvis Costello tweak sub-head.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Watching the defectives

Yep, big +1 from me for this as well. I'll be humming that all day now.

6. Andy ORourke
    Happy

Loved the buy from amazon button

at the bottom of the review :-)

7. oldridge
    Thumb Down

Apps unnecessary

Why put up with adverts, or choose to pay for data that is already available and presented better through your browser (www.police.uk).

Those of us living in London even have another rich online crime map available (maps.met.police.uk) and many other forces are getting onboard too.

Not everything needs an app when it can be presented well elsewhere.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Apps unnecessary

Does the police site do AR?

8. caffeine addict

But does it count...

thefts of smart phones from people waving them around like idiots because they're looking at the world through their camera?

9. Fuzz

enterprising

Is this data allowed to be used in this way? By that I mean displayed in an ad supported or paid for app.

Fair enough the data should be there for anyone to do what they like with but should that include using it to make money?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like