back to article Philips 46PFL9706T 46in 3D smart TV

Philips TVs have long been synonymous with technical ingenuity. From an evangelical support of HD Mac and PAL Plus, through to the launch of 21:9, the brand has never shied away from pushing the televisual envelope. At least in the short term, that tradition looks set to continue under the stewardship of its new owner, TP Vision …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

is it 3d

when youre lying down cos I have a sofa and I'm gonna use it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd never get it past the wife,

Unless I said it was on offer, then she'd check my pockets and find the receipt.

2. Haku

Re: is it 3d

No, because you're watching a stereoscopic image where the effect only works when your head is aligned with the tv correctly.

You'll have to turn off the 3D effect when lying on your side (or close one eye).

1. druck Silver badge

Re: is it 3d

Technically active shutter will work when you are lying down, as the glasses will deliver a different image to each eye, but your brain wont be able to make any sense of it, as Haku says, because stereoscopic images are designed to be viewed with the head vertical. With passive glasses once you tilt your head by more than a few degrees the polarisation no longer prevents both images being seen by each eye, giving a very blurred image.

2. Derk
    Unhappy

Painful

I found your review painful to read. "this TV is capable of quite deliciously clarity" really? Do you even read what you've written?

Moths stalk their prey? yes quite. Flowers can be very evasive.

1. Haku

Re: Painful

Forget about the flowers, think of the poor defenseless light bulbs!

3. Richard Jennings

Really ?

"non-reflective properties of a moth’s peeper. In nature this helps said insect stalk prey"

You sure about this ? Doesn't sound like the moths down my way ...

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Really ?

Certainly doesn't stop the buggers flying straight into every bright light they come across.

1. Richard Jennings

Re: Really ?

it was the "stalk insect prey" bit I was querying ...

4. FOPA
    Thumb Down

Philips are a joke of a company, their customer service is shocking.

I bought a 47" Anbilight a few years ago, the set actually started smoking and i could see flames inside a fair bit of residue fell out of the bottom of the TV. Philllips were adamant that their TV's could not light due to a self extinguishing system within the TV itself. Philips came to my house to collect the TV so they could carry out some investigative work.

They left us without our main TV for the best part of 6 months without offering a replacement. The UK customer services was nothing but shocking and the manager responsible for the investigation was an ignorant moron at the best of times. They then gave us a second hand tv as a replacement, disgraceful

I would get more fun scooping my eyeballs out with a dessert spoon than considering buying shovelware from Philips ever again. A quick google search for broken Philips tv sets returns some shocking stories of which there are thousands.

Utter wan**rs

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Philips are a joke of a company, their customer service is shocking.

You are aware of you rights under eu and uk law?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't forget it is only 30% Philips

And 70% TPV Technologies Ltd. as Philips is getting shot of it's TV business. To be fair this model was probably largely developed before the change.

6. Tom 38

Across my network, the set lost the ability to unwrap MKVs

I wonder, were these 'large' files - ie >2GB? SMB/CIFS version 1 has issues with large files.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Non-reflective display?

WANT.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Moth's eyes

The moth's eye stops reflections to avoid being detected by its predators not the other way around.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like