back to article ASA: Rooney tweet was advert, not written expression of his thoughts

Nike UK has been slapped for slipping a marketing tweet into Wayne Rooney's Twitter account without clearly marking it as an advert. In the ruling today, The Advertising Standards Agency banned Nike from doing it again. Followers of Wayne Rooney might have mistaken his tweet about Nike in January as a genuine expression of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg J Preece

"Though Rooney did come up with ideas for the January 2012 tweet, Nike offered in its defence."

I'd love to see those. Probably comedy gold.

1. I think so I am?
      Trollface

Yep, he said "BALL!, KICK!, GOAL!" repetitively until they gave him a banana and a tire on a rope to swing from.

1. DavCrav

I did wonder once, when the racists were throwing bananas on the pitch, whether it was actually aimed at Rooney...

2. Bob Vistakin
    FAIL

Nikes defence is as convincing as his hairpiece

But still, it's generated more commotion that when he walks by an old folks home so they'll be pleased all the same.

3. g e

Obviously not Rooney

He can't read or write, can he?

1. Wize

Re: Obviously not Rooney

His original post idea was probably "I like shoes with lumpy bits on the bottom"

4. Shonko Kid
    WTF?

Wait... what?!?

Does this mean that if I spout whale-song inspired drivel on the social interwebs, and there's a link in there, ASA can slap some corporate ass?

5. Arnold Lieberman
    Joke

"his thoughts"

Obvious joke alert!

6. The Axe
    Flame

ONE!

It took one lousy person to make the complaint and stop a major company's ad campaign. The tyranny of the minority where we pander to the smallest minority and hinder the majority.

And it's not like it wasn't obvious that it wasn't some marketing gimmick. All it takes is a click on the link and you see Nike. Isn't it just common sense to not realise that Rooney is doing this as part of the marketing for Nike, just like he wears a shirt with their logo on, and appears a lot of Nike advertising, etc.

Do the ASA think we are all stupid or what?

Yes, I know one person is. But the rest of the ASA? Well it could be said that the top of the ASA are a bit stupid looking at how the handled the Cranmer debacle.

1. Tom 35

It is an ad

So you don't have to say it's an ad if it looks like one? Where do you draw the line? Who decides if it looks enough like an ad to be obvious?

If it's an ad, mark it as an ad as the law requires.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It is an ad

Yep, mark ads as ads.

Then we can block them automatically (or perhaps block everything else and only read the ads as they appear to make more sense)

2. The Axe
        Flame

Re: It is an ad

Because and advert can be anything from blatent marketing with flashing lights and arrows pointing to the product to product placement in a movie. Does every single type of advert need an advert mark. Who is going to decide what needs the mark? Some government bod - and look at the buearcracy that will create as you have a department of advertising deciding what is an advert or not. Why not just use your own brain rather than be told what to think by the government. If something looks like an advert to you, then it is. If it doesn't look like an advert to someone else, then either they are stupid or more likely the advert is failing in marketing to them and so it goes flying over their head.

2. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Re: ONE!

Oh he's really dedicated all right. When you look down from above, you can see he has his hair shaped into the nike symbol, with one wispy bit in the middle and carefully shaved bald patches all round it. Oh, wait...

3. wowfood
      FAIL

Re: ONE!

Maybe they should start suing anyone who sponsors a football club. I mean its totally not obvious that the nike tick and the Aon logo on the united shirt are adverts.

How dare they.

7. sabroni Silver badge

@The Axe

>> Isn't it just common sense to not realise that Rooney is doing this as part of the marketing for Nike? <<

Good question.

But you're right, it's out of order that "one lousy person" should be able to stop "a major company's ad campaign"! It's a major company for fucks sake! How can it be wrong?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More importantly

why are Nike tweeeting using someone else's account - GET YOUR OWN BLOODY TWITTER ACCOUNT!

9. SudoPerks
    Stop

Why don't they just stop following him intead?

10. vic 4

"first time that a UK company has been slapped"

Hmm, always thought Nike were a US company

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like