back to article Bromium twists chip virty circuits to secure PCs and servers

Bromium, the security startup launched a year ago by the techies behind the open source Xen server virtualization hypervisor, are lifting the veil a bit on the software that they are cooking up, while at the same time announcing a big new bag of cash to pay for the ongoing development of what the company is calling a microvisor …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. toadwarrior
    Thumb Up

I used to work beside them and know some of them. I think they definitely have a great team and idea. I wish them luck and hope it takes off.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bromium?

Is that what the rings are made out of when you have a bromance?

/joke

Getting my coat...

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Angel

That slide with the mauve fishtank containing one anonymous and two cockroaches is hilarious.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

It's turtles all the way down

They aren't actually solving the real problem which is trust. We trusted Microsoft that machines running windows were secure and that turned out to be a mistake. Now the fix is that we're supposed to trust these guys that whatever software they create will make our machines secure. Unless they can mathematically prove this then all they've done is add another layer of complexity for malware authors to exploit.

1. pixl97

Re: It's turtles all the way down

I wouldn't say it's trust... Nothing can be truly trusted, unless you've figured out a way to mathematically prove P=NP. It's that your average application is allowed to trust all kinds of stuff it shouldn't, and is allowed access to pretty much the entire computer.

Really all it sounds like is a MAC layer, mandatory access control.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux for an implementation of this.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Alien

Re: It's turtles all the way down

> Nothing can be truly trusted, unless you've figured out a way to mathematically prove P=NP

If P=NP, then problems that are easy to solve are easy to guess. Somebody solves this, you will probably be pink-slipped immediately and while driving home will be subsumed into a computronium spacetime bubble generated by the AIs waking up everywhere in real-time-trader's racks.

2. Ru
      WTF?

Re: "another layer of complexity for malware authors to exploit."

Reductio ad absurdam: every security measure adds complexity, and complexity means insecurity. Ergo, the system with the least security mechanisms much be the most secure, amirite?

Wrong. Adding complexity increases the attack surface of a system, but as long as it decreases the attack surface of all the other components of the system by as much, it is a net benefit. I've worked with chrooted applications on various platforms, MAC and jails under FreeBSD, and systrace under OpenBSD, and the admin overhead was agonising (notably, systrace was found to have some security issues). This sort of per-process virtualisation would seem to combine the best parts of the those three security approaches, and if they can manage to do it in a minimall painful way it'll be an extremely effective security tool.

Fingers crossed. Xen was good, but it was still a bit of a research project when it was unleashed on the world. Bromium seems to be planned from the get-go as a product rather than a paper, so I for one am reasonably optimistic

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "another layer of complexity for malware authors to exploit."

@ru - I would have phrased it as 'The system with the simplest security mechanism is the most secure' .. security doesn't have to be complex.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Elegant, but quite possibly irrelevant

Either the article is overly simplistic, or these guys are missing something fundamental. I hope it's the former. Let's take the Excel example cited in the piece and suppose that i have some piece of Excel in my hand. So, the microVM let's Excel open that file, and then my file says, "hey, User! Is it ok if I update the data linked in this spreadsheet?". What happens then? If the user grants permission, some ODBC magic happens and somebody's SQL Server just got trashed. If the user denies permission, their boss will come round asking by the Q4 numbers haven't been pulled from the database and emailed to him. In short, ringfencing apps is great, but lives or dies by the actions of users.

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge

It seems to me...

on an admittedly short thinking too early in the morning... that this works best the user follows the paradigm of thinking about the data rather than the application which creates/modifies that data. Thus, clicking on a document opens that document with its associated program in a little fortress of its own, where opening the associated program directly would require access to anywhere the data might live.

It doesn't answer the question of 'save as', and I think it doesn't cope with, say, text files which could be created or edited by a dozen different programs, though, unless you have a byzantine permissions structure.

Probably I have misunderstood something fundamental.

7. Duncan Macdonald

Scripting ?

In one of my jobs I had an Excel spreadsheet that was a container for a VBA application. It took a series of files in one directory and encrypted them using the command line version of PGP. How would such an application run with this security product.

A lot of commercial applications access things in other machines (e.g. a payroll application on a PC will access the main payroll files on a server). Unless a huge amount of rules get written to cope with each exception then the product will be unusable. Note also that some applications will only access some files very rarely (eg at year end or when an exception flag is triggered) so having a learning mode in the VM will not suffice.

8. FecalDiffusionist

Hmmmm...online economics in peril?

Might online marketers and advertisers object? Would online privacy be enhanced? The next few years, as with all IT progress, will be interesting.

9. Irongut

Applications have access to just one file

So what if I open an application like Visual Studio or Eclipse that needs access to multiple files?

Either this system is a lot cleverer than the article states or it's useless for a programmer or similar power user.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Applications have access to just one file

As in SELinux. you will probably have a headache-inducing (and hopefully software-provider-supported) configuration.

10. mikie

sounds like

SELinux crossed with minix's treatment of userspace

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like