back to article IT pro or manager? Go East, young man. But don't expect servants

Ambitious Britishers have long looked abroad to make their fortunes, and the rise of China and its satellites is drawing a new generation ready to swap family ties and predictable working hours for a slice of the new Wild East. But while the booming Asian economy is generating a raft of new job opportunities for senior IT …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do your sums

I got in here at Singapore at the bottom end of what is survivable when not on an expat package. Sucks. These packages are pretty much gone, so if you're thinking about coming over do your numbers very very carefully. If you've got kids and no package? Don't even think about it. Thats unless you want them to learn Singlish (you don't) at the local schools.

1. AceRimmer
      Stop

Re: Do your sums

Why no learn Singlish lah?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Do your sums

I give you white plastic chair?

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Ok if you're in your 20s. I was an economic refuge from the UK to Hong Kong in the early 1990s, but I can't do that again as I have commitments in the UK now.

3. dave 93

Check out international schools as well

..either for a qualified partner, or as a school IT manager - you get free education for your kids, and often get accommodation thrown in too. Try to find out about UN jobs as well, they have a fair bit of IT, offices word-wide and tax free salaries.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been in HK for nearly two years on a local contract (no package). No brainer really. Take the minimal tax into account and money is just as good as contract market in London. Then the quality of public services, cheap transport, nice weather (well, if you like it hot and sunny), beaches and country parks a short bus ride from anywhere, virtually zero crime and anti-social behaviour. Friends with kids are learning mandarin at a frightening rate in local schools.

Only downside is the shitty air quality, but you have the whole of SE asia a couple of hours budget flight away so getting away is peanuts.

PS you can still have a live-in maid for the price of a couple of boozy nights out

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like