back to article ARM unleashes 8-core Mali 450 GPU, heads down both forks in road

ARM is doubling the punch of its Mali 400 graphics processors with extra cores for tablet, phone and TV makers that are not ready for combined graphics and compute chips. The microprocessor architect has announced the Mali 450 GPU, featuring eight cores instead of four. ARM said the 450 showed it remains committed to the 400 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge
    Alien

ARM dominates smartphones

"ARM dominates smartphones thanks to the iPhone and Samsung's run-away Galaxy S II. The company claims 20 per cent of Android smartphones and half of Android tablets run Mali."

Virtually every other phone (even many not smart) has an ARM core too. Even some dumb phones have ARM core.

Either

"ARM designed Mali dominates smartphones thanks to the iPhone and Samsung's run-away Galaxy S II. The company claims 20 per cent of Android smartphones and half of Android tablets run Mali."

Or

"ARM dominates smartphones".

1. JeeBee

Re: ARM dominates smartphones

"ARM designed Mali dominates smartphones thanks to the iPhone and Samsung's run-away Galaxy S II."

However the iPhone doesn't use Mali, it uses PowerVR SGX543MP2.

I can see this Mali 450 graphics chip being popular in smart TVs and media players in the next year or two.

2. Charles Manning

ARM dominates PCs and laptops too

Even if you have an Intel PC, there are still likely more ARM cores in it than x86 cores.

Typical hard drive has 2 or 3 ARM cores.

Typical Wifi card has one or two.

Typical Bluetooth card has one.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Pedantry alert

Voice recognition attempts to guess who is talking.

Speech recognition attempts to guess what someone is saying.

Try to use the right term, or you might end up with a phone that can wreck a nice beach.

1. philbo
      Thumb Up

Re: Pedantry alert

"Wreck a nice beach"

:-)

You gotta love that beach wreck ignition software.

3. Ru

Too bad they don't make open source drivers for it.

The Lima project is probably a little better than Nouveau, I guess, but its still a daft state of affairs.

4. Homer 1
    Thumb Up

At this rate...

My next gaming rig will be an ARM system.

1. Charles 9

Don't be so sure.

POWER has a pretty strong hold on the gaming market right now. All three of the current generation consoles have POWER units in some form. The CPU of the Wii is a PowerPC, the Xenon CPU of the 360 is POWER-based. Even the PPE of the PS3's Cell is based on a POWER CPU.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Don't be so sure.

Unless the next gaming rig is just 10,000 cores in an NVidia GPU and an arm at the corner to handle reading the disk.

1. Homer 1
          Linux

Nvidia? Pfft.

I haven't needed Nvidia to play video games in three decades, I certainly don't need them now.

2. P. Lee

I'm waiting for them to pop a couple of USB ports, NIC and flash on there to run android...

PC? What PC?

2. Homer 1
        Alien

"Console"?

What's that?

I refuse to waste my money on any platform I can't run my own software on.

1. P. Lee

+1

Although it would be nice to have some pc games which can use a wii controller or kinect

I'm also still waiting for Lightpeak so I can get my display from the pc in the study to the lounge.

5. /dev/null
    WTF?

Mali? Huh?

Why would you name a chip after one of the poorest countries in the third world? Sometime marketing people are just plain baffling...

1. Homer 1
      Mushroom

Re: Mali? Huh?

Well it's better than naming it after a country that conducts foreign invasion and torture just to get oil rights, like the USA.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like