1. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

Eco-fiddling.

This one made me chuckle.

A colleague aquired a new flat on the South Coast not too long ago. At purchase time, much was made of its eco-credentials and the builder had got a nice bung off the government for complying with all the latest arsehattery.

Fairly recently, a bulb blew. He gets out a spare bulb, goes to put it in and finds it doesn't fit. It turns out that in order to qualify for the eco-fiddling grant it must be possible to only fit low-energy bulbs as replacements. To accomplish this, the whole place is equipped with the new "standard" socket which has three bayonet pins at 120 degree intervals instead of the usual two at 180.

Now the horror story. The only people making these "standard" bulbs are Philips, who are currently charging "still cheaper than hiring an electrician to rip out the socket" prices. Over 30 bloody quid a bulb! For a very ordinary CFL with three pins on the end instead of two.....nice work if you can get it.

I wonder how many expensive lunches Philips had to buy to get the (previous) government to sign up to that?

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Joke

Re: Eco-fiddling.

Maybe the deal was done before they got out of the consumer electronics biz (they did do that recently didn't they or was its a strange dream I had? Must stop dreaming about Dutch electronics companies - urm anyway)... yeah, maybe they didn't buy lunches, maybe they were just all like "hey dude, fancy a big-ass new telly and some free light bulbs?"

We need to inspect politicians living-rooms to see what make their tellies are!

These forums are a bit slow. I know the quality of this reply of mine sucks but at least you got a reply, albeit a week late!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon