back to article ITU to G20 leaders: Follow Australia's broadband policy

Western economies buffeted by the Great Recession and subsequent Euro-crises can accelerate out of their current fiscal fug if governments invest in a jolting dose of fast broadband, says the International Telecommunications Union (ITU). The Union has made that case in an open letter (PDF) to the leaders of the G20, who have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ole Juul

Who's Economy?

Target 2: Making broadband affordable. By 2015, entry-level broadband services should be made affordable in developing countries through adequate regulation and market forces (amounting to less than 5% of average monthly income).

I don't know if Canada counts as a "developing" country but 5% of average income is 10-15% of low income which is probably not doable. Does the ITU have a plan B?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lol

Broadband can heal the economy?

No, what heals the economy is jobs, good wages and production of goods. Broadband is a facilitator, but let's remember this, economies have been strong before computers were around, when people sent letters and talked on the .

Tech and IT are not the panacea and as claiming broadband will heal the economy, well I nearly choked on my cornflakes.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Lol

Just shows that the ITU don't get out much do they.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Market Farce

Market forces just leads to the problem of companies cherry picking areas.

Wales has a huge number of exchanges still on ADSL1- some of them quite a decent size circa 8-10k lines - I wonder how much of that is due to the "market force" of BT waiting for public money to upgrade them so they can then charge full price for services despite not having made a full investment?

When will these muppets learn that relying on market forces does not produce an inclusive service for all of the citizens of a country?

3. Tony Paulazzo
    Happy

Stop greed, heal the economy, easy peasy.

4. Terry Cloth

What's behind it all?

That is, does the ITU offer anything like documentation for these claims?

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

faith based economics

" ..Prime Minister Julia Gillard's <bold>belief</bold>

that “ every 10 percentage point increase in broadband penetration delivers in the order of a 1.3 per cent one-off growth boost to the economy"

just what we need. Drop 30 billion fun tickets on a belief ....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like