back to article Big layoff (singular) at Oracle on Thursday

The rumors are going around that someone high up in the organization was going to get the axe at software giant and systems playa Oracle when the company reports its financial results for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 on Thursday. According to a report written by JMP Securities, and published in Murdoch Wall Street rag …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Totally true, but not Oracle's version of the truth

Just as Oracle will be punished for stating the obvious about HP Itanium, Block is going to be punished for stating the obvious about Sun. It is a dog... obviously, why else would they have needed to fire sale it to Oracle. Even though this is just stating what everyone already thinks, it doesn't jive with Oracle's laughable T4 benchmarks or their pseudo commitment (no Sun tech in Exa) to legacy Sun.

2. James O'Brien
    Thumb Up

I kinda liked the

Baaaalllllooooooows line.....brilliant!!

3. Bryan Hall

Funny - We tried to buy some new Soracle x86 servers but...

As a long-time Sun hw user, we wanted to renew our database boxes and asked for a quote. They came for a meeting. All they (Oracle) wanted to sell us were crazy expensive exa machines. We don't need (and cannot afford) that kind of database - we just wanted to renew our db hardware. But they would not (could not?) answer simple questions - like how do we buy one with a 5 year warranty. Or - how much to keep failed hard drives.

So - we went Dell and no longer look at Soracle hardware. Idiots.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Funny - We tried to buy some new Soracle x86 servers but...

Yeah, you wonder how much longer Oracle will even keep x86 servers in the line. Larry has publicly said that he "doesn't care if x86 [revenues] drop to zero." They are bragging about Exa supposedly being far over $1 billion per year in run rate. If you assume that means something like $300 million per quarter in Exa, Sun, Pillar, networking, OEM, and other odds and ends are running at about $600 million per quarter and falling fast.

4. Nights_are_Long

Kinda off topic.

Is it just me or I Larry Ellison one of the least Charming CEO's in the history of computing, I know he has some competition but I can not find any redeeming trait in the man, nor warmth or soul.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Kinda off topic.

Larry, Steve... Steve, Larry...

Sorry, too difficult, especially before coffee.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Probably doesn't make much sense for Block to send a resume to HP, if he is let go."

Au contraire, he's just the man to shake it up (brain-off mega sales type with competitor intelligence etc, etc).

It seems to me that US corporations are filled with these kind of gungho, self-belief arseholes whose loyalty is paid for along with their enthusiasm and belief in the products. You'll find he's "a man on a mission" whenever the reward and the willy-waving kudos are on offer. Tiresome, very tiresome.

He's also just the man to take hold of Autonomy and "scale it" (no, now I'm just being silly).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Probably doesn't make much sense for Block to send a resume to HP, if he is let go."

Haha, if only they can "scale" Autonomy rapidly enough, there will be a solid financial return... that is the most humorous of HP's many head in hands acquisition justifications. I suppose it would be true if some company bought HP for one trillion dollars (that is literally the price per revenue multiplier used for Autonomy) it would make sense if they could "scale" HP fast enough... no reason to believe that will happen, but theoretically

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reached out... to Oracle

is this some kind of Diana Ross tribute?

7. gloin
    IT Angle

What exactly does Oracle do well?

IT question mark because Oracle isn't an IT company anymore.

They're foisting exa on people, meanwhile their applications are a Brobdingnagian nightmare. EBS contains no fewer than three complete sets of Swing tutorials (care to manipulate .AU files? There's a nifty sample set, three really). The code runs slow and crashes in creative and unexpected ways. Meanwhile, the business howls in frustration because it either doesn't do anything remotely what the sales jerks said or it pretends to and returns rubbish data. Now we have BIG SCARY ALERT because Oracle is pushing out Java 7 AUTOMATICALLY even though Java 7 doesn't work with EBS (seriously, I've tried and Oracle agrees). Nice job on the coordination there, team.

But the database is good, right? Well, it was. Now, updating from 11.1 to 11.2 means a whole new raft of server-crashing bugs. Here, have a memory leak. Fancy talking to support? HAHAHAHHA! "Please try patch 32983797923874993874 in your PROD instance and let us know if that doesn't work." When that fails, of course one must try patch 32983797923874993875 instead.

So if they're doing other things terribly badly I'm unsurprised. They don't give a damn about their customers or producing a quality product. Oracle is nothing but a sailboat manufacturer posing as an IT giant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What exactly does Oracle do well?

Not much :(

We are on their support now for former-Sun storage kit and were 'disappointed' (politest choice of words) to see how much worse their support is compared to the piss-poor Sun support we had before that.

1. Stevie

Re: What exactly does Oracle do well?

Amen! I am amazed at how often we've been sent Oracle 'experts" to configure Oracle software running on Oracle hardware using an Oracle OS and they can't get the bugger to work.

The writing was never more clearly on he wall for Solaris: every ****ing "expert" knows how to configure the software on Linux, but Solaris is a mystery to them.

Oh well. Eventually they'll suck so badly for so long at such a high cost that we will be able to persuade management to consider alternatives.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'orrible, simply 'orrible

Larry, Larry, quite contrary,

How does your empire grow?

With IP "rights" and patent fights,

and lawyers all in a row.

9. Joe 35
    WTF?

How on earth ..

... did stored comments between two execs at Oracle, get into HP's documents?

1. tpm (Written by Reg staff)

Re: How on earth ..

Discovery from the trial. The real question is how it is that either HP or Oracle can let these internal documents out in public with no consequences.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like