back to article 'Jogobot' lures lonely lardies

The lonely life of the lazy runner need not be desolate or uninspired ever again thanks to a new companion robot from RMIT’s Exertion Games Lab, the Joggobot. The unmanned aerial gadget, based on the A.R. Parrot, is equipped with a camera which zeroes in on sensors in a custom designed shirt tracking the jogger and putting him …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning

Novelty factor

Sure, for a few days there might be some novelty in being buzzed by a drone while you jog, but the novelty will surely wear off and you'll be wishing for a huge fly swatter or a 12 gauge.... or only giving it half a charge so that it packs in before you do.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Novelty factor

Just wait until the drone features some ordnance and starts chasing you. Sure, the novelty might wear out as well but the motivation to run won't.

2. mafoo
    Terminator

Wrong way round

Surely the drone should be behind the jogger giving them encouraging jolts of electricity if they slow down?

1. Thorne

Re: Wrong way round

It might be dangling a mars bar

1. Ole Juul

It might be dangling a mars bar

Or your credit card.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Or your credit card."

That would probably work better with the wife.....

1. Thorne

That would probably work better with the wife.....

I can see your wife packing heat before going for a jog. If she comes back with bags the robot lost

3. Esskay
    Happy

Convergence Device

Considering the state of health of most western nations, perhaps as an added incentive the TV remote could be incorporated in the design. Instead of being down the side of the couch, it's 3km down the road, in the opposite direction to the pub.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Convergence Device

In order to judge the effectiveness of that suggestioon we need to know how far away the pub is.

2. Simon Harris
      Happy

I can't think of any 3km route from my house that doesn't have any pubs!

1. Esskay
        Pint

lucky bugger...

4. Khaptain Silver badge
    FAIL

I like the technology but what a fail.

The idea of running behind a "buzzing", "hovering" piece of plastic and foam that might actually run out of batteries, crash or be shot down just doesn't seem very appealing.

The idea of a second "real-life" jogger is about "verbal" encouragement, it's about having someone you can share a word or two or discuss the local "bird" life etc........

Couldn't it be re-designed for taking the dog a walk ?

1. Ole Juul

Re: I like the technology but what a fail.

Couldn't it be re-designed for taking the dog a walk ?

If they had a dog they'd have someone to run with - unless the dog was also lardy.

1. Esskay

Re: I like the technology but what a fail.

Perhaps DARPA's BigDog robot could be repurposed as a jogging companion? Although most people would probably spend more time trying to make it fall over than actually jogging...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I LIKE IT

WE HAVE A LOT OF FAT SLOBS WHERE I WORK INCLUDING SOME WOMEN WHO TOP 500 POUNDS OH I GUESS IM GOING TO HAVE TO CONVEERT THAT TO POUND STERLING OR WHATEVER YOU BRITS USE

1. Tel Starr

Re: I LIKE IT

Didn't know you worked in an hall of mirrors.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn

From the title, I was hoping for some hot female Japanese android in skimpy jogging shorts. I would use one!

1. Simon Harris
      Joke

Re: Damn

Ahhh... the 'Horizontal Jogobot'

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah but this is supposed to get you jogging vertically

3. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

No, that's the Jug-O-Bot .. easy mistake, I know.

1. Thorne
        Paris Hilton

Mmmmmmmmmmm Jug-O-Bots

7. Graham Marsden
    Terminator

Run, Fleshy one...

... RUN!

Oops, have you had a heart attack? Mwahahaha!

8. Darryl
    Terminator

Fun and games

I'm thinking that this might be one of the more fun new inventions that one could hack remotely. Imagine being able to chase/harass joggers with their own drone!

9. John A Blackley

Better battery life

might allow the bot to be equipped with speakers to offer encouragement such as, "Call that jogging, buffalo butt! C'mon, rub those hams together! Maybe the heat will melt off some of that lard!"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All that went through my head reading that article

Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce....

;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like