back to article WD beams in 802.11n Wi-Fi stations

Hard drive maker WD is extending its reach in home networking. Already a provider of powerline Ethernet kit, it's now going to offer wireless routers, including one with on-board storage. The MyNet family comprises four 802.11 dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz routers with three to four antennae for 300Mbps or 450Mbps maximum raw up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So when the hard drive craps at 1yr 1day after purchase,,,

We just throw it away and buy a new one?

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: So when the hard drive craps at 1yr 1day after purchase,,,

Isn't that law on goods EU wide? You should have a reasonable life out of the device, and a spindle dying in a consumer device after 1 year is IMHO "of a quality not suitable for sale"..

Alternatively:

"The primary cause of failure in electrical appliances is an expired warranty. Often, you can get an appliance running again simply by changing the warranty expiration date with a 15/64-inch felt-tipped marker". - Dave Barry, The Taming of the Screw

1. Gordon 11

The warranty on the WD drive I bought last month (WD10EURX) is apparently 3 years.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

You will probably need to do that earlier because it will reboot if you connect an "unsupported" device to the wifi network.

If you try to file that as a bug WD staff will helpfully tell you in something that is supposed to be English zat zey support only Windoze and zat it is not zeir problem zat zeir device reboots the moment you connect any of the non-Windoze uPnP implementations to the network.

I have a full email trail for the above - that is not a joke. It was for their STB (WD Live) so there may be some element of YMMV.

In any case - caution is definitely advisable.

2. Craig Vaughton
    FAIL

Time Capsule

Why would you buy one of these if it's dearer than an actual Time Capsule? Well at least at the prices quoted.

3. Dinosupport
    WTF?

You sure on those prices?

The N900s are more expensive than the Apple widgets

4. Anonymous IV
    FAIL

"WD also launched today an [sic] £50 eight-port Gigabit switch"

Super. You can buy *two* TP-Link 8-port gigabit switches for about £52...

5. {'-,_Ultron6_,-'}
    WTF?

bunch of naysayers

crickey you are all a bunch of misery guts, cant you applaud a company for trying to create products people actually want? Something different from the norm?

No, you prefer to bitch about hdd failures. I say well done WD!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Pint

Re: bunch of naysayers

"crickey you are all a bunch of misery guts"

We're talking a British website, written by journalists and full of IT people. That's almost the perfect storm of sarcasm, cynicism and complaining...

The only thing that could increase the grumpiness level around here significantly is if they were to add a new sub-site aimed at cabbies.

However, it's Friday. So I shall use the universal symbol for this evening's activities. England are going to lose bore play a football match tonight, so we'll need plenty of it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like