back to article Purdue researchers add ‘wakelock’ cleanup to phone power research

The Purdue University team which in March published a paper identifying how rogue apps and user-tracking can sap Android batteries has followed up with research into detecting and fixing the “wakelock” bugs. The new study is to be presented at the MobiSys conference in the UK later this month. The researchers have extended …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddy Ito

Sly

Buy stock in energy and battery companies, write "free" apps that suck more than a hemi powered dragster and kick back while the dividends come rolling in. Hmm, doesn't seem to be a business plan that will impress a bunch of impatient VCs so back to the drawing board.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge

Re: Sly

Substitute apps that fill up disk space and slow down your processor and you have a substantial part of the MS marketing plan.

It's worked for decades. Why change a good thing (for them).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "a substantial part of the MS marketing plan"

Now far be it from me to be an MS apologist, but you're attributing to Malice what is actually the product of Incompletence (and common to pretty much everyone in the industry).

Bloat is solely the result of lazy, incompetent programming; why be efficient, when computers get so much more capable every year? Awful UI decisions are the result of stupid people thinking they know best. Everything else... well, that's all pretty malicious.

1. Anonymous Coward 101
          FAIL

Re: "a substantial part of the MS marketing plan"

But shouldn't it be made a lot easier to write software that doesn't zap batteries? Or, to turn it around, shouldn't it be made a lot more difficult to write software that zaps batteries? If lot's of programmers fail the same tasks, then the answer is 'yes'.

And couldn't the operating system be a bit cleverer at power management?

I have had power issues with my Galaxy Note. After buying apps to track what is going on with my phone, I finally found that a stupid bug with wifi being left on made the battery use 5-6% of my battery per hour when 'asleep' rather than 0.5%. So I got another app to turn wifi off when the screen was off, which works. Although I suspect it has introduced a new bug that spontaneously reboots my phone for no apparent reason. This drives me mad.

2. Anonymous Dutch Coward

Modified compiler?

How would you use a modified compiler to investigate binary code? Or does "modified compiler" actually mean disassembler/decompiler?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is there an app for that?

it'd be nice to bring the battery sapper to heel..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like