back to article Asus unveils 42in Linux-based Eee TV

Asus has named the upcoming additions to its Eee PC family of low-cost computers, soon to be augmented with a small form-factor desktop machine, an all-in-one system and a TV. The desktop - which Asus hinted at as far back as September 2007 - is to be called the E-DT. It'll be based on an Intel Celeron processor, much like the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

42" LCD TV for £100?! Sign me up!

"The E-TV is a 42in LCD TV, but it will have computer technology on board running Linux to allow users to surf the internet and read email. Asus said it will retail for no more than $200."

If they can sell it for $200, I hope they're going to make a LOT of them, because they'll be selling faster than anything ever sold before.

2. Neil Hoskins

uPNP?

Please tell me the telly is going to be uPNP/DLNA/WiFi. If so, I'm first in the queue.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Eee TV for $200??

Went to read the press release - it's actually:

"Pricing is to be set to at no greater than US$200 more than TVs in the same class."

Paris icon because someone had a Paris moment writing that article.

4. Tony Barnes

Surely that's wrong?

"The E-TV is a 42in LCD TV, but it will have computer technology on board running Linux to allow users to surf the internet and read email. Asus said it will retail for no more than $200."

If that's the case, I'll take 10 please!

5. Peter Lillie

42 inch e-TV - Is that price right

no more than $200 for a 42 inch LCD screen with computer built in? Sign me up!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

42" LCD TV (with PC) for $200?????

Must be a typo there! The E-Monitor is meant to be $499 with the desktop machine itself around $200-$300.

I'm sure it's probably $2,000 for the 42" TV...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Linux on the Box

I wonder if the TV will allow the user to install other apps? If I could install MythTV onto it to integrate it tightly into my existing Media Network, it would become the 'Must Have' item for me. I'm going to replace my TV this year, and if that TV could replace a media centre unit and TV with 1 box, I'll take one.

8. Ian Ferguson
    Joke

Missing a trick

Shurely they should call it the EeeTeeVee?

9. Michael Jolly
    Thumb Up

Uk price?

i wonder what the E-Monitor will cost and if its worth getting

10. paul brain
    Thumb Up

So it begins....

Probably what some of us have been waiting for - basic PC functionality integrated within the TV.

As long as it can display video media files smoothly, this thing is a winner.

I've currently got a small form factor Shuttle box running ubuntu hooked up to my LCD TV, using Ethernet over mains for network access and a 2.4GHz wireless keyboard with a 10m range for tapping away from the sofa.

The wife loves the Net access and the ability to open office docs, watch DVD's and downloaded media from the internet. The bit she doesn't like is the PC itself, sat, tucked away, ever so quietly humming to itself and the wires.. did I mention the wires.

Now, stick it all in one unit, make it affordable and give it the ease of function of the eeePC ( We love ours !! ) and bingo.

I probably will not buy the first generation of these, but they will catch on quickly, very quickly, other manufacturers will follow and lets hope that none will be crippled with XP/Vista as I for one, don't want a BSOD whilst watching Prison Break !

ASUSuTek, got some lateral thinking employee's there. Smart company.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Woo hoo!

Now all I need to do is install Linux on my toaster and my life will be complete!

12. Tom

Come on People!!!

The article reads:

"retail for no more than $200 above what you'd pay for this kind of telly."

so whatever you would pay for a 42inch tv add $200 more for the eee verson, so about £900 I guess. The thing with this is it doesnt matter that it has a PC in its th quality of the screen that counts because its not going to be used just for the PC inside it.

13. simon
    Thumb Up

bikini girl ...... ?

cant she watch telly as well .......

14. Tim Browning
    Unhappy

but will it work with WPA

As the formerly proud (now just frustrated) owner of a EEE, I can only hope that the new TV is released in a fully operational state, and will not need users to hack into the code "at their own risk" in order to get the thing working as it should.....

15. David
    Thumb Down

LCD quality ?

@ 42" they are gunning for the living room with this TV. A big mistake would be to stick their own LCD screen on this thing. ASUS make computers not TV's. Their current offerings are budget, not well received screens. If the screen is crap it will never take off.

Stick to a good brand screen and a hidden shuttle, xbox, ps3 etc.

Compared to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, et al ASUS cannot cut the mustard.

In my opinion this is a gimmick. The E-Monitor is a clone of the apple mac & sony vaio computer + screen in one.

16. Anonymous John

I, for one,

want to see a picture of our blonde beach-loving overlady watching TV.

17. Geoff Mackenzie

eeeTV would be a good name ...

... in my opinion. Can't wait to see the desktop EEE PCs. My big stack of discarded PIII and pre-Coppermine Celeron 'servers' might finally be displaced by something less offensive to the eyes and ears.

Three cheers for the eepsies! Etc. Oh dear, I've become a fanboy. Still, at least it's something awesome I have an unhealthy obsession with :)

18. Morely Dotes
    Joke

Re: Woo hoo!

Would you like a crumpet?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like