back to article Students face off in Hamburg home-cooked cluster clash

We’re a little less than two weeks away from the tip-off of the first ISC/HPCAC 2012 Student Cluster Competition. University teams representing the US, China, and host nation Germany will meet in an epic benchmark battle to prove which team can design and build the fastest homemade cluster. The only constraint is electricity – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> (For full details on the competition and rules, click your mouse here.

Why thank-you... After 16 years of using the Internet, I had forgotten how those funny blue bits of text work.

1. danolds

Glad I can help

I know what you mean, Stuart, I've been using the internet for around 18 years and I still get thrown by that stuff too - which is why I include explicit instructions from time to time. I'm glad you appreciate it - no need to thank me.

2. ukaudiophile
    WTF?

Has an omission been made in the team listings, or is there no entrant from UK?

1. andreas koch
      Joke

@ukaudiophile - omission?

No, sorry, no UK team for Europe, the mains plug didn't fit.

1. danolds
        WTF?

Re: @ukaudiophile - omission?

I wrote an article last year with the idea of taunting the UK (and Europe) into sending teams to Seattle for the 2011 SC version of the contest, but it didn't work. (Here's the story: http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2011/03/21/scc_deadline/). It didn't seem like readers were too keen on it either, with comments that missed the point in various ways. One reader thought that researchers would rather do research, which is correct - but these are student teams. Another thought it was a waste of money for the universities even though it's vendor sponsors who pay the expenses for the teams. It's interesting and instructive to see China and Taiwan embrace these competitions so fervently, isn't it?

3. Michael Hawkes

My bets

I have my virtual money on Tsinghua to win it and University of Colorado to take second or third.

4. proto-robbie
    Headmaster

"These teams can't be underestimated"

The benefits of proofreading can't be overestimated.

5. danolds

Good catch...

Should have either been "these teams can't be misunderestimated" or "the underestimation of these teams shouldn't be done" or even "These teams shouldn't be underestimated...."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like