back to article Intel rivals crash Hot Chips party with full-fat server silicon

After hogging most of the oxygen in the server market with its new Xeon E3 and E5 processors this spring, Intel is going to get a little competition this summer as its rivals in the server racket trot out their upcoming server processors at the Hot Chips 24 symposium at Stanford University. The Hot Chips event, which is hosted …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My interest...

...is in the low power range. It's just like the photographic megapixels race, everyone wants more numbers when I want better quality at a lower pixel count.

What I want is a low power system that gives me a reasonably performing desktop, and despite the promise of ARM, nothing serious has yet been delivered in desktop form.

I played with an ITX format Sedatech, but it just isn't there yet. I also think that desktops which perform but use less power would be a big selling point in business as well; just think how much power would be saved by an organisation that chews half the power on the desktop.

2. DayDragon
    Joke

I have a question...

Which is quite irrelevant but is Cupertino pronounced as "Cup of Tea?, No" ?

3. Bradley Hardleigh-Hadderchance
    Coat

When you said 'Hot Chips'

I thought you meant that really crap ironic hipster band.

But of course that would have been 'Hot Chip's'.

My mistake. Carry on.

4. Kiralexi

No. Just... no.

"For the M3, you get a total of eight threads running at 3GHz, or a combined 24GHz of aggregate clocks, and for the M4 you get a total of 32 threads running at 4.5GHz, for a combined 144GHz of aggregate clocks."

Not how SMT works. If you really want to do this "aggregate clock" thing, the numbers you're looking for are 12GHz and 72GHz..

5. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Pipeline goes *where*?

I'm not going anywhere with IBM after that night we renegotiated the support contract...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like