back to article NetApp leapfrogs IBM in storage race for second place

NetApp overtook IBM in IDC's latest quarterly storage tracker, reversing several quarters of market share decline In the first calendar 2012 quarter IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Disk Storage Systems Tracker reports global external disk storage systems factory revenues rose 7.1 per cent year-over-year growth to almost $6bn. EMC …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kebabbert

But Oracle

ZFS servers increased by 42%, more than anyone else. NetApp declining, ZFS increasing. There might be a reason NetApp sued Sun for ZFS...

2. flashguy

NetApp & IBM

Wow, not to kick a down dog, but as was noted last time you went over these numbers, the IDC figures overstate IBM's relative strength vs. NetApp, as it counts IBM's OEM sales of NetApp kit as part of IBM's totals. Given that, the switch between NetApp and IBM here is rather surprising.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: NetApp & IBM

It gets even worse when IDC include "internal" storage, as that then allows hp to count not only their server-based NAS range but also their server-based scale-out storage (Lefthand, P4000, VSA) and their virtual libraries.

1. Man Mountain

Re: NetApp & IBM

Lefthand and Virtual Libraries are storage products so why shouldn't they be counted? Dell will count Equalogic and EMC will count Data Domain. And all NetApp products are 'server-based NAS' appliances. Internal storage as in DAS is a misleading element of some of the numbers but a storage product is still a storage product even if it is built on a server platform!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle storage revenue is small enough that they lump it in with all the other hardware they sell and show (to Feb) a 16% decline "Both GAAP and non-GAAP hardware systems products revenues were down 16% to $869 million": http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/investor-relations/financials/q3fy12-1560230.pdf

Not sure I'd argue that Oracle are tearing up the storage market at this point...

1. Kebabbert

@A.C

"...Not sure I'd argue that Oracle are tearing up the storage market at this point..."

What is really interesting is the trajectory. If Oracle increase 42% each year, then that rocks. You know exponential growth? Nexenta, which also build ZFS servers, has growed 400% for the last three years. There are several other ZFS companies. If we lump all the ZFS companies together, then it would be interesting to see how much ZFS storage grows.

If you see that the NetApp trajectory is going down (stock price halved in 18 months) and ZFS going up - who is most interesting? Would you have betted your money on Dinosaurs or Mammals?

Facepalm

Re: @A.C

".....has growed 400% for the last three years....." 400% of next to nothing is still not very much at all. Here's how it works - I set up CompanyX to sell storage devices, I sell my first unit, I wait a few weeks until I "sell" units two through five (which I actually give away as demo/seed units) and then claim "CompanyX shows 400% growth in first quarter!" Rinse, repeat. Meanwhile, the real storage juggernauts probably don't even notice CompanyX exists. That is Nexenta.

4. J.T

Sooo what was the previous market share of LSI/Engenio?

5. dikrek
    Megaphone

The NetApp numbers are even better than stated

D from NetApp here...

The IDC numbers don't count the tons of OEM NetApp boxes sold by many companies.

The numbers shown count only the NetApp-branded boxes sold by NetApp.

Once you add all the OEM business the percentage grows quite a bit.

D

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is includes NetApp LSI

After you pull out NetApp's LSI acquisition, I wouldn't be surprised if their FAS business is down. It has gone out of vogue.

Re: This is includes NetApp LSI

"....It has gone out of vogue." Really? When I go for a walk round the hosting centers here in the UK that house some of our DR kit I still see plenty of NetApp nastiness in other companies' rooms. I know us Europeans tend to lag the US market, is NetApp in serious decline in the States?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is includes NetApp LSI

As thew previous comment said, LSI/Engneio OEMs are not included in these numbers... 14.1 is a number that included just the FAS boxes and doubt they have directly sold much E-series directly to have any impact on this number.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like