back to article Facebook tears wraps off its own app store

Facebook has continued its quest to keep punters glued to the social network by opening an app store that mimics Apple's iPhone software supermarket. The move follows the web giant's failure to rake in cash from adverts on mobiles: it's hoped the new App Center will encourage users to stare at the website on their smartphones …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The BigYin
    Joke

Wait a few days...

...then buy the apps in a bargain bin for 30% off.

1. frank ly
      Happy

Re: Wait a few days...

BOGOF!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mimics?

"...mimics.." apples app store.

I bet the apple lawyers would use a different term - god help them is the web page is the same shape too

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One word: It will be rubbish.

1. The Baron
      Headmaster

That's four words, surely?

1. VinceH
        Joke

Yes, but each of those four words is one word.

4. chiller

Re Facebook

Mark Z has a permanent look of 'I cannot believe this is happening' etched on his face, I am with him on this one, I cannot either.

Happy spending Mark.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My head has just exploded with excitement.

6. ukgnome
    Meh

meh

just meh!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

D'oh

They can't even develop a proper iOS client that works properly with their most BASIC of offerings that they've offered for years like..... trying to comment on someones status or liking someones post (which mysteriously keeps vanishing) so how is this going to improve by ramming more crap in there?

Sooner this bubble bursts the better

1. Jon B

Re: D'oh

Apparently the Facebook iOS integration is coming in iOS 6

8. caybay8

I don't want to offend anyone and this might not be the time or the place, but I never got Facebook. Oh I understand the concept. Everyone is in touch all the time, you know what your friends are talking, thinking and doing at any given moment , kinda like being back in school. Now comes the new app. you know what your friends are buying so you don't end up buying something that is not of quality or something that might not be in fashion. True this is the new trend, a marketing strategy designed to promote some type of sales, and generate dollars for Facebook which is after all a business, or trying to be, but do we really need to know what our friends say, do and buy every minute of the day. Are we so insecure in our disconnected mobile world.

I have pondered long as to why I have not embraced the new social interactive technologies. I thought well I finally hit the wall, maybe 60 something is just too old to get it, but I understand what this technology offers and does, ultimately I realized that this is what stops me from using it, for myself anyway and I am guessing many others.

This is what I discovered about myself. When I read this article I thought here goes another stab at how this IPO was mishandled and now it is all going to be better because of the new APP! Then I realized, that maybe this is the only perceived way in today's world in which we feel safe in communicating with one another. I mean if I know the likes and dislikes of all my friends and acquaintances I have no fear of insulting them or going against the flow, I am safe, I don't have to make a sound argument for what I say or believe, this worried me, a lot. I don't know about you, but I was brought up to go against the flow or the idea of not making waves but to challenge the statuesque. My family believed in operating outside the box, and I might add quite successfully. These were people who endured the great depression and both my father-in law and my father fought in WWII as a bomber pilot and plane mechanic. Both extremely independent and creative people. They both knew who they were and where they were going. THEY HAD A SENSE OF SELF. They reveled in making there own way unhindered by popular beliefs and trends. They were in a word, TRULY ADVENTUROUS, SELF AWARE, INDIVIDUAL PEOPLE. I fear this is what what we are losing as a people, without which are we doomed to a life ruled not by our individuality and strength of conviction but by the general consensus. I hope we all become Explorers.

By the way I think Mark is still a little wet behind the ears. It takes more than a little emotion and slick advertising to convenience the world in the end that you have the greatest mouse trap ever invented.

1. Toastan Buttar
      Joke

Challenge the statuesque?

Why not challenge Status Quo instead?

2. Jon B

A bomber pilot in WW2?

He may have been an independent thinker, but he was still just one stray ack-ack round from oblivion

9. TWB

Message to Mark: Run

I really see no long term value in Facebook - if I was Mark Zuckerberg, I'd quietly put the money somewhere safe then go.

1. O RLY

Re: Message to Mark: Run

I agree with you there, but how does he sell out quietly? It's not like Bill Gates or Michael Dell selling large percentages of their holdings on the way up; it's more like the Best Buy news where the BB founder abandoned ship.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Message to Mark: Run

There's the problem, he is set up for life financially and I'm sure he means well. He wants to change the world and produce cool stuff but the owners of shares will want to see growth and profits. It's just not going to happen as social media is very personal.

If you were at the pub with some friends and someone kept butting in to try to sell you some product then you'd get rather angry. While it is less annoying on Facebook, it is still much the same as having spam in your email inbox.

10. Mike Judge
    Stop

The big question...

I would try, but I don't have a Facebook account, are you expected to enable non-marketplace installs like you have to for Amazon, thus potentially opening yourself up to all sorts of non-marketplace malware?

If like Amazon, you do, then Facebook and Amazon are part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

11. ItsNotMe
    FAIL

Whooppty do.

WGAF anyway? And Farcebook claims 900 million users...but I suspect that number is for the number of accounts...not the actual number of dimbulb users.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was hoping for apps on RIM / Playbook

What is facebook? When I load it IPCop says access denied see administrator

13. dssf

GTB???

Looks like fb are trying to gnash, thrash, and bash their way into profitability.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All i'm gonna say to Mark Sucks_Like_An_IceBerg is..

Welcome to the real world... B**!Tch!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scammers, heads up!

Looks like another way for the bad dudes and dudesses to game the system.

Look over here, all your friends are, buy my uber-nasty app!

16. The Envoy
    WTF?

Apps?

As a person born in the very late 1950's and around to get my first computer interaction on VIC20 and Amiga 500 I am puzzled by this app craze. Most of them just saves you a couple of clicks and add various number of ad-related schlock to the process of getting from A to B.

17. Tom 13

If they would have had this when I had my personal smart phone,

perhaps I would have kept it. It was annoying that the one thing I wanted to do with FB on the train on the PDA was the one thing they didn't support: Zynga games.

Nah, it was still the crappy wireless service that made me turn it in, and the apps would have been useless without the service.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like