back to article Hauppauge MyTV 2Go

There’s no shortage of TV tuners for either Macs or PCs. But Hauppauge’s MyTV 2Go is different in that it allows you to connect to it over Wi-Fi from an iPhone or an iPad, as well as a computer. Hauppauge MyTV 2 Go In addition to freeing you from having an extra device plugged into the iPad, it also means you have much more …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Piro Silver badge

Huh

Actually a pretty awesome idea. No ridiculous cabling, and you can actually position it where you might get a signal! Not bad! A bit costly though.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

USB TV tuners

This 'shiny' Hauppauge wireless jobbie looks interesting, but it's competing in a field filled with 'no-name' USB TV tuners that start from around 11 dollars including postage from HK, on eBay. Admittedly tho' - once it was discovered that the open source GNUradio software defined radio project runs on many of the USB TV dongles then the price started rising a bit for these chinese tech toys. The GNUradio 'upgrade' turns the dongles into an open 60 MHz to 3GHz programmable radiofrequency scanner/receiver. I'm not sure I'd wish to flash the firmware of something as expensive as the Hauppauge, tho I have the previous model of EyeTV (and the one before that!) which might be worth a try. After all, there's nowt to watch on TV so why not convert the receiver into something that will run python scripts hosted on a raspberry Pi?

1. Danny 14

Re: USB TV tuners

good luck plugging a usb tv tuner into an ipad

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Unless you plug it into the camera kit

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Software radio on a cheapo TV dongle - that is a fantastic bit of lateral thinking. I now want one, though I've no idea why.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Capability

I take it that it doesn't do HD (DVB-T2)?

4. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Down

Lock down

It appears that this device is seriously locked down. Only works with iThings and their proprietary PC / Mac software.

Seems a big miss not giving this this thing, at least, a web interface allowing you to watch using Flash, or a DLNA / UPnP interface?

Power issues or arm-twisting from rights holders seeing pirates in every home?

1. TonkaToys
      Unhappy

Re: Lock down

Seems weird that they don't let it work with existing media centre software (WinMC7 or XBMC etc).

Presumably no DLNA means I can use it on my PS3 too?

5. Only me!
    Thumb Down

Stop........

Will someone please think about the droids!!! Or in fact quite a few other platforms.

1. Ted
      Megaphone

Re: Stop........

but android is kinda like linux... it's too geeky to be considered for advanced software & hardware like this. appletv will become the standard for television delivery so it's best to focus on the top player (about 70% of the itv space) then the small "me too" products.

6. Anonymous Custard
    Paris Hilton

So what does this offer that the TVCatchup website doesn't?

Just curious as to why the hardware end of things is needed at all, aside from the opportunity to hub-feed multiple devices on the network of course without parallel streaming.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So what does this offer that the TVCatchup website doesn't?

No impact on your monthly bandwidth allowance?

7. Jean Le PHARMACIEN
    Linux

Wot no MythTV?

Not checked this myself as yet but... does this work with (any) Linux flavours? Link to my Android Nexus S? Tuner for MythTV on my netBook (R)? *

* yes netBook seems odd but how about a combined MythTV frontend/backend on your netBook and this device as the tuner component?

8. Sandtitz Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Hauppauge

Expect blue screens and promises of a working driver "real soon"..

9. Hauppauge

Some confusion

Just to clear up a few confusions here, it's a wireless device, so no need for plugging physically into an Iphone/ipad, no, it can't tune DVB-t2 channels, just DVB-T. For differences to TVCatchup website, well, the MyTV 2GO doesnt need a internet connection, its a self contained freeview tuner, so no streaming across the net <and the dataplan charges and connection issues that come with it>, you can't record from TVCatchup, (which does not have the full freeview channel list) you can also pause and record live tv with the MyTV 2GO.

Android support is something that is being evaluated at the moment.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like