back to article Hackers, bloggers 'bunged cash to spin for Iran 2.0'

The Iranian government is investing heavily in hacking expertise and online propaganda in order to promote its way of life under the country's post-Islamic Revolution regime - as well as using its new resources to tighten up control and surveillance of its citizens. This is according to Jeff Bardin, chief intelligence officer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aaron Em

Better pay than CIA, at least

I never saw a single thin dime out of that Austin Heap business a few years back, when CIA was fucking with Iran again in hopes of putting whatsisname the pro-Western liberal in the presidency, rather than the Ahmadinejad that Iranians actually voted into office. After fifty years of such fuckery, you'd think somebody would finally cotton on to the apparent fact that it doesn't do the US any good and does do it quite a lot of the opposite, but then on the other hand why should we expect Foggy Bottom to know what the hell they're doing in any case?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Religion - government - freedom

You can have two ... but not the third ... if you have a choice, that is.

3. honkhonk34

"Bardin said he didn't want to discuss (presumed) US or Western capabilities in cyber-espionage."

Of course, it's hard to make everyone understand why it's bad when X uses cyber-espionage when you do it yourself.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh!

"The Iranian Cyber Army used a DNS attack to hijack Twitter back in 2010 ...."

Oh, yes, I recall that: the entire edifice of Western Civilization nearly collapsed, and the cracks in its foundations are still evident. What a narrow escape we all had.

5. The Cube
    Thumb Up

So no different to us then?

I read the article and even with the regurgitated doom-mongering I completely fail to see any material difference between this and the relationship between SIS, GCHQ and BAE in the UK or countless relationships between NSA, CIA and ex Mossad dodgy types or the complete anal penetration of the US Govt by that bastion of evil, Blackwater.

Looks like Iran is becoming more like us, not less like us. Perhaps we can send them Cressida Dick to show their police how to cover up murdering innocent civilians as an outreach mission?

1. That Steve Guy
      Black Helicopters

Re: So no different to us then?

Not quite, Iran hasn't gone so far as to create a cyber weapon like Stuxnet (or Flame?) to send us yet...

But as this article sugguests they 'might' be working on it, probably in the same manner that Saddam 'might' have had WMD.

Black helicopters because you know, it won't be long before we have to pay them a visit only to find no nukes and the oil is just a happy coincidence.

1. Aaron Em

Oh God

Yes, the US has fucked with Persian sovereignty for most of the last century, not least because we want oil. Also yes, Iran has a national ambition to develop a nuclear weapon, not least because they're tired of being in the crosshairs of Israel's (heavily US-subsidized) nukes, and want something with which to answer that threat.

Believe it or not, both of these things can be true, and no black helicopters need be involved.

(And why shouldn't Iran be working on weaponized malware? Just one more kind of weapon that's been used against them and which I imagine they feel a need to be able to answer in kind. Why not?)

6. DragonKin37
    Alert

Making moves ?

So we have an analyst put a nice long speech on how the IRGC is making moves in cyberspace. Well it figures that this would happen. Now its just a matter to see how good their home grown hackers ( smart ) and their goverment operators ( not so smart ) will fair against, other nations in a cyber conflict

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like