back to article Acer touts Tegra 3 tablet

Extreme PC Week Acer unveiled the Iconia Tab A110 at Computex in Taipei this week - a quad-core tablet that should be available for £130. Wowzers. The Acer Iconia Tab A110 - set to replace the Iconia Tab A100 - features a 7in display with a resolution of 1024 x 600. Acer Iconia A100 7in Android tablet A100 to get the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pen-y-gors

bigger is better

10" for £200 please?

1. Aldous
      Trollface

Re: bigger is better

you will be lucky it will be £199 by the time shipping,tax and the general "its in europe" markup is added

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nice plastic.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent

this shoulld keep Asus/Google honest with the UK price of the Nexus 7 tablet.

3. Andrew James

I was hoping by June 17th something would come along at the £150-£200 price point that might be worth having so i could suggest to my kids, via my wife, that it might be an ideal fathers day gift.

But no such luck. So far.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect

it will be £199 in the UK. Still good value though but I'd go for the "official" Google product, the Nexus 7 assuming the price is the same.

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Given that the killer application on these things is surely Skype[1]

It's depressing how few of the budget devices, even those with Ice Cream Tablet, offer it.

C'mon, El Reg, when are you going to do a budget group test? Things cheap enough to be throwaway purchases?

[1] Well, it is in our house. The missus doesn't give a damn about applications - all she wants to do is browse t'interwebs and watch granddaughter growing up from six hundred miles away.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Given that the killer application on these things is surely Skype[1]

Skype? Why Skype?

I've never Skype'd anything or anyone in my life and get plenty of use from my various computers, laptops, smartphones and tablets.

1. TheRealRoland

>I've never skyped

Good for you.

Now try to tax your comprehensive reading skills a bit more.

Read his comment again, then tell me what the meaning of this is:

'at least in my house it is'.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Indeed.

This is not something I would use to any extent; my computing needs are not those of the Missus.

But I'm at a loss to understand why manufacturers build a platform with a user facing camera of limited resolution and then put the thing on the market *without* the obvious application.

The tablet is a thing for *consuming media* (<shudder>, I hate that phrase) rather than working on; in all practical respects it's a toy. But it should be a toy with *some* utility surely; my missus happens to think that being able to see granddaughter - and for granddaughter to see us - is a worthwhile utility. And to be honest, *she's* the customer. Not you or me, who might buy a tablet because it's cool, but because she wants to do a specific task, or small number of tasks. She doesn't care what the label is or who wrote the software; she just wants it to work.

2. Andrew James

I've only used skype twice. Once from a hotel room in Vienna to say goodnight to my kids while away with work. And once a few days later from Munich to explain why daddy wasnt going to be home like he said because there was a delay in Vienna that made me miss the connecting flight.

It has its uses. But it wouldnt be the killer app for me. I'd get a lot more use from netflix than i would from skype. And my use of that would be positively dwarfed by my use of "the internet" in general.

2. Raz

@Neil Barnes Re: Given that the killer application on these things is surely Skype[1]

Why would it not work on the Acer, it works fine on my Transformer, so it can't be ICS. If it's a crazy driver or something then ask Acer to fix it.

3. Craigness

You don't need skype when you have google talk and hangouts. They work on android and from any browser, so even if your granddaughter is stuck with a mac she can still videochat with you.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android only?

I would very much like this with Ubuntu. Ubiquity looks very much like it was designed with touch screens in mind. Can I have a cheap tablet without the Google tax, please?

1. Andrew James

Re: Android only?

lol @ the idea that Android bumps up the price.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HTC One X

...has a higher screen resolution than this thing, with just four inches. So impressed with it as well. I've completely stopped using my tablet, in fact, it's my preferred device for everything outside Eclipse and Libre Office.

8. Mikel
    Thumb Up

Looks very nice

I would prefer an Asus or better yet, MOTO version. But this will do. Lots of Android tablets for the family this year. Maybe we can wean the smaller kids off of desktops too.

9. Ketlan
    Happy

Slabtastic, indeed. Want one. Gonna get one.

10. Antidisestablishmentarianist

Why do all these 7" tabs look like fat chubbers? I guess you fingers don't get smaller along with the size, so the bezels stay the same. Maybe that's it. Or maybe there is more space to spread out the leccy stuff in the big ones, so they can be thinner. Or perhaps they are the same thinness but as they're bigger 'seem' thinner.

I don't know, but they all just look chunky to me. Won't have it.

11. maccy
    Headmaster

Someone tell me

Why is it always a "price point" and not just a price?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Battery Life.

"although the impact on battery life of having that quad-core CPU remains to be seen"

That's what the fifth core is for, which is nothing more than a "tick-over" core, that refreshes memory and stuff, the bare minimum needed to keep the OS alive when the screen is off. As soon as it aways, all the main cores come alive again.

That's why the Tegra3 have very good battery life, despite some pretty beefy CPU specs (for ARM at least).

1. linkmaus

Re: Battery Life.

Well, NVidia says that the "battery-saver core" can handle music and video playback, and that the "four performance cores" are each "independently and automatically enabled and disabled based on workload" rather than all main cores come alive, as you say

13. Chezstar
    Thumb Down

You missed one point

In the specs list, you forgot to add the point:

* No future support, because its an Acer.

Seriously...check out the abortion that is the A500 and A501 tablet upgrade to ICS to prove the point that Acer will willingly flip out a new tablet, fully under the misguided belief that the user won't ever want to update it to a new android version, and not even offer to open source the drivers etc and let the community do the work.

A500 users had ICS eventually rolled out, which failed on a heap of tablets, so Acer pulled the update.

A501 users? Hah! Its the same as an A501 except it has a 3g modem...but noone would want to run ICS on that! Lets not even bother offering an update!

Wait until Asus, or Sammy release a tegra 3 tablet, and don't waste your time on this waste of a company.

14. David Lawrence
    Unhappy

And still more jam tomorrow.....

Seems like I've been waiting ages for that perfect Android-based tablet. I lost patience and went for a cut-price Mororola Xoom, and I'm happy to an extent but certain annoying niggles remain where things don't quite work correctly at times. Yahoo Mail is one of the worst offenders.

By the time the other manufacturers release Tegra 3 tablets the price will have doubled - surprise surprise!

My quest for the (tablet) Grail continues.......sigh.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like