back to article Sony awards PlayStation cert to HTC handsets

Sony announced at E3 this week that it will bring its PlayStation Mobile suite to HTC phones, including the recently-released HTC One X, One S and One V. With PlayStation Mobile in open beta for developers, the array of content is set to grow and, as that happens, Droids with the PlayStation certification look set to have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jeebus

Sony and their massive problems.

The problem Sony have is that their ideas, while not awful in and of themselves are executed with no style and abandoned at the first sign of any problems, instead of working to be successful with innovation like they have in the past they just throw ideas at the wall and hope something sticks.

Not a good time for Sony, they're losing money hand over fist and they can't connect with any new audiences. Obviously one or two good products and it is back to growth, but I don't see them on the horizon just yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sony and their massive problems.

Back in your box. Clearly Sony products aren't aimed at pikeys like you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Does anyone (including Sony) have any idea who their products are aimed at these days?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's no excuse for poor support. Releasing a new OS version may cost money but it is how you build brand loyalty.

3. Richard 116
      Thumb Up

My thoughts exactly.

2. DrXym

I'm surprised Google hasn't stepped in here

Android is good for a lot of things but the state of gaming is pretty woeful. There is no single sign on, no achievments / trophies, no match making, no high scores, or voice chat etc. Some games attempt to use 3rd party libs like Scoreloop to obtain some of those things but it's all very spotty.

Windows Phone might be crap in other ways but the XBL integration is one of its strong points.

While I guess it's nice that Sony is sort of stepping in to provide some of those things it still doesn't excuse the lack of an official framework that app developers could use. I would have thought with android forks threatening to sprout like mushrooms that Google would see this as a good way to keep users and developers close to its chest.

1. Juillen 1

Re: I'm surprised Google hasn't stepped in here

So, gaming is woeful because.. Of a whole load of things that aren't actually to do with a game, just telling people about it, and showing off an 'achievement'?

Personally, I'll take a good game that plays well, and doesn't bother me with any of that stuff over a voice integrated 'achievement every minute' high scored game that just doesn't have an edge.

Trophies and such are irrelevant to a game (though I'm sure it gives people bragging rights). Voice chat.. Easy enough to integrate if you wanted to (but then you'd have a load of people yelling "kill them all" manically on every train)

Why do I want to sign on to most games I play (answer, I don't; I don't want to sign on at all unless it's a MMO)..

1. DrXym

Re: I'm surprised Google hasn't stepped in here

Yes gaming is woeful because of it. A unified gaming api would be a hugely useful thing to developers and users. The popularity of PSN, XBL and Steam demonstrate that users overwhelmingly want such a thing. And they get such a thing with Windows Phone and iOS. Android should have APIs too.

3. SMFSubtlety
    Joke

I see what you did there!

Game of phones.... very good (for the day after a 4 day weekend).

but who does that make the stunted dwarf in your mind then?

4. Thomas 4
    FAIL

Laziness

Put simply, it's fricking laziness.

I'm an Xperia Play owner and when I heard that there were going to be PSOne games available for it, I was really enthusiastic - a lot of my favourite titles were PSOne games - Final Fantasy, Legacy of Kain, Parasite Eve, Crash Bandicoot 3, Silent Hill - all kinds of really great PSOne titles that I would love to play on a phone with a control system that supported them natively.

Instead what happened was that after releasing the Sony owned titles like Medieval, Crash Bandicoot and WipeOut, I never saw another PSOne title released by them. What a waste, thanks to nothing more than rampant apathy.

5. Paul Shirley

how do the plan to unpiss off developers?

I really can't see devs running eagerly towards this after the Play disaster and it's jumbled mess of competing store fronts, near total lack of content and failed Play hardware. The subsequent Play ICS decision and cancelling any future Play devices has annoyed pretty much everyone.

Dealing with Sony Ericsson was a lot more palatable than dealing with Sony, Ericsson injected some sense and respect for both customers and developers. Something died when Sony took control.

Expect to see this struggle on largely ignored by Android users. Sony choose not to be competitive on price in their store(s), certification is only as good as the OS and device they happened to test on (their own ICS update demonstrates that) and they've made little pretence this is anything but a way to sell the same network services their other devices use. Hard to get excited.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Xperia Play

Was pretty well outdated when it did finally ship, so no wonder it had a short shelf life.

Sony should have shipped it with a lighter version of the same chip they've put into the PS Vita, instead of the single core chip it did ship with.

7. h3

Sony ..........

I would never have bought an Xperia Play if it was Sony not Sony Ericsson.

(There again I think most of the PS1 games sucked).

I have bought Virtua Tennis and Sonic CD though for it and would buy most of the Square Enix games if they were released outside Japan (and in English).

Don't think I would have bought it without the ICS promise either (Probably would have bought a Nexus S)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like