back to article Dual-screen, detachable and Windows 8 star at Computex

Taiwanese computing giants Acer and Asus faced off ahead of the start of Asia’s biggest IT expo, Computex, today with a slew of new Windows 8 products including dual-screen laptops, notebook-tablet hybrids and even an all-in-one PC which can be used as a giant tablet. Acer continued its attempts to prove it can build desirable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

I'll adopt Windows 8 ...

... when they pry BSD out of my cold, dead data center ... and Slackware off of my laptop.

I need a computer to work for me, not against me. I don't want KitchenSinkWare[tm] on all systems. Rather, I need minimalistic targeted systems that do exactly the job that I tell them to do, nothing more & nothing less.

More important, I don't do business with corporations which assume by default that I'm a criminal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll adopt Windows 8 ...

Fortunately for Microsoft, Apple, Google etc. most computer users, especially consumers, belong to the 21sr century.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I want wow

I known just throw technology in the air and see how it lands.

While there is a lot of new stuff coming out I can't help but feel a lot of it will be very for a very niche market.

Then quietly it disappears or support is removed. How about someone having a vision of what is needed and what people actually want in their lives rather than what a committe of suits feels might be appropriate.

I'm all for tech being cutting edge but what I really don't like is when a product comes onto the market that is neither here nor there. I want cutting edge, I want wow, I want the colours of the rainbow, I don't want grey, or beige or it manages ok.

Give me something that gets the juices flowing!!!!!!!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll adopt Windows 8 ...

Yeah, yeah - I'll use BSD and Slackware when I don't have to compile significant chunks of the OS, just to get a slightly less than mainstream piece of hardware working.

Oh and don't say that you don't have to, we've got a few BSD users at work and they all freely admit it takes feaking ages to get it installed onto a laptop in any remotely functional way.

Personally, I don't limit myself to a single, or couple of OSes and I certainly don't use my choice of OS to cock-dangle in front of people on the Internet.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Luckily, your rather jaded views are probably not shared by any of the half a billion or so people who will buy a Win8 machine over the next few months.

These new form factors are awesome.

3. qwarty

Great to see evidence of the start of a period of fresh innovation in whto has become a rather tired notebook market..Not sure if I have an application of a 19" tablet but some people will have and good to have wider options. Also looking forward to seeing the somewhat overdue refresh of the Apple MacBook line next week.

4. P. Lee
    FAIL

Asus Transformer Book

So close, yet so far with a Windows tablet...

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Android apps on Windows

To Quote

The Taichi also supports BlueStacks, enabling Android apps to be run on the Windows 8 device

How long before that feature is disabled by a stealth update from Redmond then?

1. Spearchucker Jones
      Trollface

Re: Android apps on Windows

I hope quickly. Microsoft have a hard enough time with malware on their own platforms.

2. hplasm
      Windows

Re: Android apps on Windows

I hope quickly too. Android apps would only make W8 usable.

6. richard?
    Thumb Up

Dual screen laptop

Actually the dual screen feature has possibilities for 1:1 client presentations; they see the presentation, you see the notes, in a natural facing each other setup rather than with a screen projected somewhere behind you and a noisy projecter.

7. mark l 2 Silver badge

Is it only me that thinks these will be priced to be premium products to try and compete with the iPad and will be another expensive failure like their Android tablets, they need to get some good specification tablets out for about the price of a Kindle Fire to compete with the iPad, but with the added cost of the Windows license they are bound to be more expensive

8. keithpeter Silver badge
    Thumb Up

mathspad

Before I retire, what are my chances of seeing an A4 format thin tablet with handwriting recognition that can talk to LaTeX and Mathematica/SAGEmaths and allow me to scribble a bit of maths including sketched diagrams and translate that into something readable by another person?

I'd want stylus as well as finger (mine are like sausages) and cloudy backup. I'd buy one of those in an instant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: mathspad

Me too. With retirement age edging 67+ (except for GPs etc. on super-subsidised pensions here in the UK) I'll guess most of us under 62 ought to get there!

9. Graham Dawson Silver badge

And still no word on the UK release of the padfone. Come on, Asus, hurry up!

10. Lusty

The press release didn't contain any pictures then?

11. Levente Szileszky
    FAIL

Too bad W8 will be a giant flop...

...due to its utterly broken, useless PoS Metro UI/the lack of Star Menu. Oh well, another Vista except on a bigger scale - finally we will see Ballmer to get kicked to the curbside, where he belongs for years now.

1. Chris Parsons

Re: Too bad W8 will be a giant flop...

I don't entirely agree with you. I dislike Metro, but the underlying OS is nice and very responsive. Have you actually used it for any length of time?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like