back to article Chinese diplomat accused of spying on Japanese military

A Chinese diplomat with links to the People’s Liberation Army has been accused of snooping on Japanese military technology data while working in Tokyo. Police in the Japanese capital are preparing to send documents to district prosecutors which allege that 45-year-old Li Chunguang submitted false papers when renewing his alien …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ole Juul

Details?

Li is suspected to have snooped on confidential documents belonging to the Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries ministry

I wouldn't be surprised if he pilfered some key sushi recipes.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Neoc
      Coat

Re: Details?

"if you knew sushi, like I knew sushi..." (oh-oh-oh what a gal)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What!

The Chinese are spying on people?

I just don't believe it!

1. Armando 123

Re: What!

"The Chinese are spying on people?

I just don't believe it!"

Why, I am STUNNED by this! You'll be claiming the Chinese government doesn't respect property rights, next!

2. Arctic fox
    Holmes

"China often takes advantage of the diplomatic privileges afforded to embassy staff"

Delete "China" and insert any nation you care to name. To all practical intents and purposes a percentage of any embassy's staff, regardless of nationality, are spooks. See icon+title.

3. tkioz
    Pint

"China spying other countries"

I think "WELL DUUUUUUUH" just about covers it...

4. jake Silver badge

Diplomats spying? You think?

In other news, fratboys get crocked on Jägermeister and cheep beer ...

1. ChrisM

Re: Diplomats spying? You think?

Been happening since Ug went to the cave in the next hillside to snoop out what the Arggg family were up to....(whether there were Martinis involved is one of those archaeological mysteries we will never know)

5. Bill Neal
    WTF?

WTF is economic espionage?

In this case, what kind of economic information could be accessed that wasn't already public information?

1. Euripides Pants

Re: WTF is economic espionage?

The top-secret location of the "Hello Kitty" factory...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think what the mean is a the were looking for information that was not made public. For example if a company was preparing a report on it's profit and losses , but the accessed before the company released it.

Basically stuff that would be considered insider trading.

3. Armando 123

My father worked for a heavy-industry manufacturer and, in the 80s and 90s, foreign "businessmen" who pretended not to understand English were sometimes given tours of manufacturing facilities. They were generally engineers or technologists, and the company quit granting the tours once they realized what was up.

6. kain preacher

I'd be shocked if China did spy on some Just like the USA,UK,France, Germany, you get the point. Hell I'd be shocked if allies didn't spy on each other.

7. mhenriday
    Big Brother

A diplomat spying ?

And how is it with the Pope's religious affiliation ? And the defecation habits of members of the family Ursidae ? But wait a moment - the fact that the diplomat is Chinese and the targets of his alleged espionage Japanese military organisations does, no doubt, make this to the uninformed regard rather commonplace incident newsworthy in the extreme. Keep up the good work, Phil !....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like