back to article SkyDrive slips snapshots into cloudy wallet

Microsoft is updating SkyDrive, its cloud storage file gobbler, to add SkyDrive-accessed picture viewing in the Windows 8 Photo application. Any photo you have stored in any of your SkyDrive-connected PCs can be viewed in the Photo app. They are available from within the application, with SkyDrive being used to access the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. EddieD

Um.

I hope that getting to appear in Explorer or whatever is a tad simpler than this

2. EddieD

or this

Ouch

1. jai

Re: or this

quote This tutorial is a quick tutorial...

hahahahahahaaa

In that case I'm not sure I have enough hours left in my life for one of their long tutorials...

2. Longmeister

Re: or this

Why do you have to map a drive? THe software creates a Skydrive folder in the same way Dropbox or Google Drive does. If you are using Win7 then you can move the default location of your libraries (pics/docs etc) to be within this folder so your new files are shoved into the cloud without intervention.

I pay £16/year for 75GB of cloud storage which works as a backup and I can view all of my pics and videos from any PC on earth or my iPhone.

3. jai

why not stored in the cloud?

You mean I'm going to have to ensure my home desktop remains running and online all the time that I'm away from home, in case I want to pick up a photo that's on it?

Far easier not to bother with SkyDrive and just make sure to sync any pictures I think I'm likely to want on my phone before I go away.

Besides, upload speed from home isn't going to be particularly fast. That fine when syncing with a cloud in the background, but when wanting to view the photo on demand, I'm going to be left waiting.

1. Longmeister

Re: why not stored in the cloud?

Why? Skydrive does sync it to the cloud so you can view it on your phone using a pretty slick app. Upload speeds on an FTTC connection are up to 20Mbps - thats hardly slow?

1. frank ly

@Longmeister - Re: why not stored in the cloud?

Do you have one of these 20MB/s upload connections? Do you know anyone who does? (If you do, please ignore my question and carry on living your wonderful life in data heaven.)

1. Longmeister

Re: @Longmeister - why not stored in the cloud?

Well I have a 9Mbps upload at home and 15Mbps in the office - both on a basic BT Infinity connection. Most Virgin cable lines have decent upload speeds now too so I dont think the issue of bandwdith when uploading data is as critical as it was a few years back.

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Not impressed

First off I couldn't find the download from the Microsoft homepage so I had to go back to El Reg and follow the links. Installing and using is easy enough (I'm on a Mac) but there is no bandwidth control so you max out your uplink when it synchronises. That's bad enough at home but even worse if you're a guest on someone else's network. Think I'll stick with Dropbox.

1. Longmeister

Re: Not impressed

Log into skydrive.live.com and click on download application - hardly rocket science?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Not impressed

Yes, a product from Microsoft that can't be found in the download centre or site search. Hardly rocket science to think that isn't quite right. Oh hang on, it's must be that I'm fecking ijit!

Rocket science is OTOH required to throttle the bandwidth.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Still waiting...

... for Adblock Plus to start working on "articles" like this.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Impressive

Surprisingly Skydrive has become one of the best storage solutions. I have several IDs and got a whopping 25Gb free per account. Just missed out on the downgrade to 7 gigs, but still a lot of free space with a very good interface.

The skydrive app is also equivalent to Dropbox, so much so that I stopped using it. Still use Sugarsync though, another excellent product.

Both of them beat the pants off Google. Been using them for years but still feels like it's made for schoolkids...sorry kids, no offence intended, but when you mature you'll know what I mean, it's one of the privileges of being older to be also normally a lot wiser ;o)

7. ACcc
    FAIL

Image Compression

Everything image wise gets compressed by default, especially if syncing from an Android phone, which is really irritating, and there doesn't seem to be a fix.

You can't disable it by default in the browser either, which I want to if I'm using it as a back up - I don't want to back up my photos only to get the 'safe' version back at half the resolution.

Drag and drop doesn't play in Linux in the browser, you can't upload directories without an app.

Shoddy.

1. Longmeister

Re: Image Compression

My images from a PC have uploaded at full size and the iPhone app has an option in settings to either resize or send original. Cant vouch for the Android app however.

1. Anna Logg

Re: Image Compression

There seems to be no way of changing the PC app so that full size is the default upload though; I doubt if I'm the only one that's accidentally staretd uploading a batch of pictures and then relaised it's defualted back to 2048 pixels wide again :-/

8. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like