back to article Google's 7in Jelly Bean Android tablet spied in benchmark

Google's Asus-made 7in tablet has turned up in web-posted benchmark results. It's running Android 4.1. Rightware's Powerboard benchmark ties into an online database Android fans can use to compare kit performance. Fansite Android Police spotted a listing for the "Google Asus Nexus 7", an Nvidia Tegra 3-based tablet running at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Toothpick
    FAIL

Google's Asus-made 7in tablet....

This should read Google's Asus-rebranded 7in tablet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google's Asus-made 7in tablet....

It's actually funnier than that since Asus also outsources most of their production to Pegratron (they spinned off their manufacturing some time ago)

2. P Zero
      FAIL

Nah, different reality distortion field configuration.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is this another update that might or might not be rolled out to us, which might or might not be available on new handsets which might or might not have the promise of an upgrade which might or might not be delayed so your phone provider can add extra crapware?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>This should read Google's Asus-rebranded 7in tablet.

Except that Google don't rebrand any of their Nexus devices- the actual manufacturers logo always appears on the casing - and usually its bigger than Google's.

Nice try though.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet another...

... configuration to support...

1. thesykes
      Facepalm

Re: Yet another...

Absolutely. Why can't Android be like the personal computer market? You know, the one where everyone uses the same sound chip, graphics chip, screen resolution, aspect ratio, operating system, memory, processor...

If all those were different on every pc made these days, the personal computer would never have been so popular....

Did you send that from your iPad?

1. Ben Naylor
        FAIL

Since when did every PC use "the same sound chip, graphics chip, screen resolution, aspect ratio, operating system, memory, processor..."? (NEVER)

You talk absolute drivel!

Go get your coat now, before I hand it to you. :)

1. PaulR79
          Facepalm

@Ben Naylor

*WHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSHHHHHH!!!!*

1. Ben Naylor
            Facepalm

Re: @Ben Naylor

some of us have been to the pub at lunchtime :)

2. Jello
            Thumb Up

Haha, that made me laugh out loud (but for real), cheers for brightening up my day :)

1. Ben Naylor
              Coat

anytime Jello :)

Just gimme a few pints 1st.

2. P Zero
      Holmes

Apple or late 90's Nokia?

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Like the iPad3 retina display you mean.... ooooppps...

If you are going to hang off every word Apple says, at least do it in the privacy of your own home, and not on the Internet where people make you look foolish.

3. Bob Vistakin
    Thumb Up

I'd go for one

And I bet zillions of others will too, at that price, quality and most significant of all - freedom.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'd go for one

They may take our NAND, but they may neverrrr - take - our - FFRREEEEEEEEDOM!!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

7 inches

7"

This year: Google's tablet size

Next year: Samsung's phone size

1. P Zero
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: 7 inches

Who could possibly downvote this?

I shat myself laughing.

1. Law
        Stop

Re: 7 inches

"I shat myself laughing."

Steady on chap! :S

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

7in and screen res of 1280x768? sounds perfect so far!

1. fishman

16:10

1280 x 768 is 16:9. Perfection is 16:10.

1. Drat

Re: 16:10

Why 16:10?

2. dajames
        Facepalm

No, 1280x768 is 16:9.6 ... I suspect they actually mean 1280x800 (16:10) or 1366x768 (16:9) because I've never seen a panel that was actually 1280x768. Let's hope it's the former.

I still actually prefer 4:3 ...

3. afv011

1280x768 is actually 15:9 (5:3).

1. M Gale

Pixels are not necessarily square...

...and if someone wants to make a panel that is 16:10 and has a resolution of 2048x32, then they can. It'd just be a bit shit, is all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_aspect_ratio

2. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

£199 pricepoint too.

Feeling for anyone that got ripped off with a Kindle right now...

6. Alex Walsh

Why is there the assumption that 7 inch equates to low end? Maybe some people (like those who spent £600 on the HTC Flyer when it first came out- and that definitely doesn't feel low rent) don't want a 10 inch.

Or perhaps you're confusing it with the Ainol Elf and the plethora of cheap foreign 7 inch tablets?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Infact feeling for anyone that bought a 7in tablet.

This seems like a stonking 7in deal.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/versus-touchpad-7-tablet-pc-8-gb-13828789-pdt.html

1Ghz A8, 512MB RAM, 8GB storage (expandable), capacitive touchscreen, Android 4.

£80.

1. M Gale

Re: Infact feeling for anyone that bought a 7in tablet.

No Google Play store and a battery life that could be described as "awful".

Yes it can probably be rooted, modded, have a dodgy Google Play APK installed, whatever, however it's not exactly iPad-easy is it?

Still, at £80 I guess it's a techie's plaything. Just not much cop as a general public plaything.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

At 5th the price of an ipad, who cares. This one has capacite touchscreen, Android 4, reasonable hardware specs, and clearly several pegs above the usual sub £100 supermarket tablet shite. However ANY Android tablet is by default more usable that an iPad, which has a basic interface that hasn't changed for 4 years and looks more akin to something that came out of the ark.

1. M Gale

A 5th the price of the iPad, yes. However the battery life is quoted as "4 hours", which you can divide by 4 to get a more realistic picture of the battery life while actually doing anything. There is also no Google Play, which is an almost criminal omission bearing in mind Currys' target market.

Yes, you can find a dodgy APK. No, my mother wouldn't even know what that is. And yes, everybody regardless of technical expertise, would probably be pissed off when the lights went out barely an hour or so after charging it up.

It's a nice techie toy, as I said. I just wouldn't buy it for anybody not a propellorhead.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Infact" is, in fact, two words.

8. Alan Denman

Low end and high end merge!

Tegra 3, 1280 X 768 ain't no low end!

9. JaitcH
    Thumb Up

SEVEN INCHERS - Win, Win, Win, Win!

Not to big for the male pocket; or the female purse; right-sized for car/truck dashboards or sun-visors and motorcycle mounting. Not too small to view a movie.

Plain Android without icing making it eligible for fast upgrades from Google. Freedom to run any App you choose to.

Manufactured by ASUS who have proven adept at making netbooks that can withstand the rough and tumble of school-aged children (and my wife) backed by a world-wide support network.

Finally the price - on a par with Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sigh

I'm still waiting for a proper Android 4.0 ARM netbook with a ten inch screen and a much better battery than the Atom crap that was peddled out a few years ago. I don't know why someone like Asus hasn't brought one of these out. I know they've got the transformer, but it's too expensive and I don't want the tablet / touch screen features

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like