back to article Scandal-hit Olympus plans to axe staff, flog off stake – reports

Japan's Olympus is planning to cut 2,500 staff and sell an equity stake to either Sony or Panasonic, in a bid to get out from under its $1.7bn fraud scandal, local media reported. Olympus is still reeling from the discovery of accounting fraud, outed by then-CEO Michael Woodford. Brit Woodford claimed he was sacked when he …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Not the last

"Sony and Panasonic were the leading possibilities"

Funny that, when Sony is the company most people are betting on to make a similar announcement pretty soon

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not the last

Sony's imaging division is in good health and is the component supplier for many other big companies - Nikon uses Sony sensors for instance. I think Sony have already gobbled up Olympus' medical imaging business.

2. Fuzz

Panasonic would be the obvious choice

Since Panasonic and Olympus already share some tech and their cameras use the same lens mount.

3. Notas Badoff
    Holmes

Too rare

A moment of glow thinking of the rare exception, a CEO who was honest.

Somehow methinks there will be artfully put questions asked in the future by boards trying to determine which CEO prospects will "work with them" to keep any past indiscretions hidden.

How many of those golden parachutes everyone boggles at were really hush payments?

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: Too rare

You may want to invert that question to avoid a high return: how many were not?

2. Nunyabiznes

Re: Too rare

"Somehow methinks there will be artfully put questions asked in the future by boards trying to determine which CEO prospects will "work with them" to keep any past indiscretions hidden."

I'm guessing showing up with a shovel and a bag of lime might be a good interview technique, shows you are a team player!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Suicide?

None of the Jap management that hounded Woodford out for whistleblowing are doing the decent thing then?

5. Graham Marsden
    Pirate

I read that title as "Olympics"...

... and thought "good!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like