back to article 10gen bags another $42m for MongoDB roadmap

10gen, the commercial entity behind the open source MongoDB NoSQL data store, has just had its coffers stuffed with cash so it can rev up the software engineers and accelerate its product roadmap. The company, which has dual headquarters in New York and Palo Alto, has secured $42m in Series E funding from venture capitalists …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

Bubble

Never mind the new .com bubble, when is the NoSQL bubble going to pop?

1. tpm (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Bubble

Right after everyone installs big data combines and years later figure out their users are mostly doing random crap.

2. CharlieM
    Stop

They would be crazy to sell now

As a developer who has started using MongoDB recently. I can't tell you how great a product they have. Its a perfect mix of NoSQL architecture with many of the features of a regular SQL DB. I have treid several other NoSQL DBs and this is by far the easiest to work with. Not only that it scales so well and is so fast.

Sure Oracle is better for situations were multi record transactions are essential but a lot of the time they aren't needed, particularly on the web. They also don't scale well.

10Gen also seems to be doing everything right to build a viable business around the product. If they were to sell now they ought to make sure they get a really good price. This company really has a chance to be the next Oracle.

Selling now would be like taking the first billion offered for Facebook. They should bide there time and ride it all the way to a later IPO.

1. keith.nicholas
      Thumb Up

Re: They would be crazy to sell now

Quite correct, it is really nice! It can easily be integrated into many popular tech / language stacks.

Also quite popular to combine it with Redis for more transient web state data.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Hieronymus Howerd
      Pint

Re: They would be crazy to sell now

+1. It was crucial to our redundancy and scalability where I used to work. I miss working with it.

Also agreed that the company appears to have its head screwed on.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like