back to article Lenovo plans clip-on physical keyboard for tablets

Tablet owners have so far had to opt for keyboard docks to take their typing physical. However, that may be about to change after recently published Lenovo patents revealed an interesting clip-on. Lenovo handgrip keyboard for tablets As you can see from the designs, the keyboard features a clamp and can be used in a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Novel?

Try *stupid*

The whole point of a tablet is freedom from peripherals.

The touch screen interface has to provide all interaction.

When you start hooking up keyboards to the device, it becomes a laptop!

The *right* area of research for tablet keyboards is tactile feedback to the fingers, that gives an impression that a button has been pressed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The whole point of a tablet is freedom from peripherals

That's true, but it doesn't mean the concept's bad. The trick would be to make a tactile back to the tablet - assuming it's phyisically possible to type in this manner and not drop the thing.

2. Stoneshop
      FAIL

Re: Novel?

Given the not-insignifcant number of auxiliary keyboards available for tablets, a fair number of people appear to disagree with the way you intend tablets to be used.

3. Richard 81

Re: Novel?

No, the *right* area of research for tablets is into that which will sell.

Besides, touch screen software keyboards are crap.

3. Andy Miller
    Pint

Squeeze

If they add sensors for squeezing and pulling, you could write an accordion app. No more running out of air on a long series of "push" notes !

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Hands-up...

Anyone else who remembers the MicroWriter keypad thingy?

5. Steve Knox
    WTF?

Lenovo Patents Giant Tablet!?

Based on the size of those hands, I'd estimate the tablet to be approximately 12" x 15" -- with a 3" border around the screen!

Either that, or they expect these to be used by infants and toddlers.

6. W.O.Frobozz

Ugh

That's just awful. So you have to learn how to type using those weird hand-holds? No thanks, my keyboard docking Asus Transformer is a far better solution.

7. 1Rafayal

Odd, given that the Lenovo tablet has a folio with a built in, full sized keyboard that is powered from the device itself...

8. RonWheeler

So, erveryone is releasing keyboards for tablets, so....

...maybe even the trendy i-sheep will one day see that tablets are a fundamentally stupid concept.

9. JaitcH
    Alert

It looks as ...

abtuse as some of Apples patent filings.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prior Art

I was wearing a tie that could do this in the 90s....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

patented != planned

Neither does patented mean invented, original, etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like