back to article LG shows off 'first' full HD LCD for smartphones

And the latest entry in the 'how many pixels can we cram into a phone display' stakes comes from LG which today announced a 5in in-plan switching (IPS) LCD with a 1920 x 1080 resolution. It's the first full HD screen for a handset, LG claimed. Do the sums and that yields a pixel density of 440ppi. That's than enough to ensure …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Knox
    Flame

Finally.

Now can they make a 15" laptop display with this resolution?

1. tony
      Happy

Re: Finally.

I'd prefer a 15" laptop with that PPI.

2. Philippe
    Paris Hilton

Cute marketing girl

You've got to give it to the Koreans, they always have the right models to sell their models.

3. jai

Is there any chance that the phone when it's released will have the same size bevel as that screen she's holding?

now that my telly has a near invisible bevel around the edge, i find myself longing for borderless images, from the phone, to laptop, advertising billboards at my train station.

A phone with an edge-to-edge screen would be fantastic. And would look great at this resolution too.

1. David Ward 1

I'm not so sure about that; the bezel on my phone has protected the edges of the screen from quite a few bumps that I suspect would have cracked the display.

1. Bassey

Yeah, I'm not too sure about edge to edge screens on phones either. What are you going to hold? How does the phone know the difference between the finger wrapping around onto the screen to grip it and you touching it to control the UI? It sounds nice in principal, I grant you, but the practicalities seem insurmountable. But then, I'm not a UI designer.

4. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Oh...

But what 4?

5. the-it-slayer
    Devil

Wahoo!

This'll go into the next average, ridiculous large, fandroid smartphone. Woooopie. I can squint and hurt my eyes while watching HD smut in the process.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wahoo!

However, if Apple had crammed that amount of pixels into an iPhone, we'd hear you blathering on about how magical and revolutionary it was, right? And how horrible Androids were because they didn't have that many pixels.

Obvious iTroll is obvious

6. Lallabalalla
    Thumb Up

Edge to edge

I don't think you could do an edge-to-edge for a phone for the above reasons - but you *could* make something that *looks* edge-to-edge using the right materials which would be almost as good to look at. Worth a try, 'cause it woudl be fab.

7. Seanie Ryan
    WTF?

WFT?????

This, the company pledged, "significantly advances the cloud computing experience widely considered the next major internet trend".

really, wft??

1. jungle_jim
      Joke

Re: WFT?????

and it doubles your girth.

8. Richard Plinston

Dumped WP

This is why LG has dumped WP7. It was restricted to 800x480 (or 480x320) by edict and capability. Next year's WP8 may go as high as 1366x768. There is no future in having last year's features in next year's models.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like