back to article Hackers threaten fresh wave of anti-capitalist web rioting

A new activist group is drumming up recruits for a cyberwar campaign against corporate giants due to launch on Friday, 25 May. TheWikiBoat intends to hit a high profile list of more than 40 multinationals - including BT, Best Buy, Tesco, McDonald's, Wal-Mart and Apple - with denial of service attacks as well as attempts to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aaron Em
    Pint

Must be Friday

Where's my popcorn? This'll make for an amusing weekend.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How come

How come all these "hacking groups" can usually manage us ddos attacks?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: How come

a) because the software is easy to install on windows

OR

b) because that's all they need to do to make the high and mighty quake in their boots

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because none of these "hacking" groups are actual hackers. They are simply script kiddies.

The register and other media companies should stop calling them hackers and instead call them skiddies.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I haven't forgotten, Baldrick, it's a rhetorical question.

Nah, it's a potato.

3. John A Blackley

Translation

"We are 'sticking it to the man' so to speak."

We are going to annoy 'the man' - slightly, temporarily.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More like sticking it up the man in the street

so we'll steal data, credit cards, etc, publish these and leave thousands of people that have nothing to do with the web or their argument with globalisation in dire straits due to identity theft......but all for the common good

5. S.G.
    Devil

Sticking

yay man, the corporation man, we gonna stick it to them...

Using our high end computers made at the other side of the world by big corporation and shipped by big corporations and ...

Can't they make themself useful and hack the governments agencies who keep monopolies in place, starting with tax offices?

1. Bill Neal
      Black Helicopters

Re: Sticking

After the whole Sabu trap, this is very likely a sort of honeypot/misinformation campaign by the "governments agencies who keep monopolies in place"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sticking

Plain as day, a honeypot. (A honeypot for idiot wannabe wasps only, of course.)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Different day, SOS

More perps to do the walk soon before they ship off to prison for a long stay.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DDoS BT?

That is hilarious. Must be like trying to demolish a nuclear bunker by backing a Smart Car into it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: DDoS BT?

What an optimist! ;)

2. I think so I am?
      Pint

Whats silly is if it worked, they would disconnect themselves and in so stop the attack - and Virgin also use BT backbone infrastructure.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Looks like these guys read The Register.

They tweeted your comment

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Cyberwar campaign?

Do you mean a Distributed Denial Of Service assault on their Web Sites, utilising a multitude of compromised Windows desktop computers?

9. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Facepalm

Cover for something less "moralistic"?

I suspect the sheeple are being used to generate static to cover up black hat attacks. It's not a bad plan - tell the sheeple that it's all about "sticking it to the man", then let them carry the can whilst you hack for creditcard info, etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cover for something less "moralistic"?

If participants are "encouraged to use the LOIC tool" there's no 'suspect' about it. anyone dick enough to fall for it will supply the traceable human chaff and something for the newspapers to talk about later while the actual perpetrators will be lost in the noise.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Somehow

Somehow, I'm reminded of the G7 (G8?) protesters in London who, in order to protest against capitalism and globalisation, smashed up shops down the Tottenham Court Road - Including the John Lewis shop.

Way to stick it to the capitalist bastards.

Note for non UKers: The John Lewis Partnership are really rather posh shops and supermarkets, that are frequented predominantly by the middle classes. The Partnership is wholly owned by the workers. Staff at John Lewis get fantastic benefits, bonuses based on the company's profits and even sabbaticals for long service. Staff there tend to be very happy at their work. When I go through the till at a Waitrose (JLP's supermarket) and they say "Have a nice weekend", I don't mentally insert the words "it says here."

John Lewis is not MacDonald's.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Capitalism isn't evil

There is nothing wrong with capitalism. Personal and corporate ethics is what's broken. Hacking is no more right than Tim Cook being paid $178 Million annually while using Chinese slave labor to produce Apple products to sell to the clueless.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like