back to article Diablo III dev rolls 12d6, scores PC sales record

Diablo III has become the fastest selling PC game of all time, publisher Blizzard has claimed, after shifting 3.5m copies within 24 hours of release. Despite a few niggling problems with the game - which Blizzard is readying a patch for, it said - Diablo III hit shelves last week and was snapped up by record numbers of PC …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 15

Errm

You can't compare a PC-only release to a cross-platform release; that's hardly fair.

How has Diablo III done compared to the biggest XBox 360 only releases or PS3 only releases?

1. Euchrid

Re: Errm

If someone, such as Caleb, reports about how well as game has done in the *all format* charts, it’s not a case of being fair or unfair, but simple factual reporting.

At the moment, Max Payne 3 isn’t out on the PC yet and Diablo III isn’t on a single-platform (Windows and OS X) – so there are differences. As mentioned by That Steve Guy, these charts are calculated by physical sales.

In any case, I’m more concerned about what the playing experience is like rather than chart reanking.

2. That Steve Guy

The reason Payne won.

The numbers on the official chart are only taking pysical box sales into account that is why Max Payne 3 is beating Diablo.

D3 would win the charts if digital sales through battle.net accounts and the WoW annual pass were also included.

3. Dotter

Well, that explains the server load problems, then.

4. The BigYin

Remember...

...do not criticise this game in their forums. You will be banned and lose access to the game.

Pray their DRM servers don't go down, or you won't be able to play.

Hope your Internet connection doesn't go down, or you won't be able to play either!

Seriously - why do people fall for this DRM infected crap all the time?

1. Jedit Silver badge
      FAIL

"why do people fall for this DRM infected crap "

Do you even know what DRM is? Diablo III is an online game, of course you can't play it without an internet connection or when the servers are down. I personally wish it didn't require online play, before you reach for the downvote button, but the "DRM servers" you're ranting about don't exist.

Oh, and while you're failing so hard: being banned from the Blizzard forums does not prevent you playing their games. That's EA/Origin.

1. The BigYin

Re: "why do people fall for this DRM infected crap "

I am quite aware what DRM is, which is why I avoid it at all costs.

But you are right about one thing, I got Blizzard and EA backwards. it was Blizzard that was demanding real names. They don't demand that any more, they have no need to. Your game DRM key uniquely identifies you.

Apologies for the confusion.

2. Killraven

Re: "why do people fall for this DRM infected crap "

Battle.net *IS* their DRM server. If it goes down, which is hardly an infrequent issue, you're S.O.L.

There is no need for a game played in single-player mode to be online-only. I believe that is the entire point of the post you were responding to.

2. Steve Knox
      FAIL

Re: Remember...

...do not criticise this game in their forums. You will be banned and lose access to the game.

Never been to Blizzard's forums, then? All they are made up of is users repeatedly criticizing their games -- and not being banned for it.

As for the rest of your post, it's the same drivel from people who've never played a modern PC game. I had way more trouble with the crap CD rootkit DRM they used to include with games than I've had with the online check-in type.

5. ColonelClaw
    Thumb Down

Eh?

"a few niggling problems"

Oh really? I haven't been able to play twice so far in the last week. First time was the whole of Sunday afternoon, and then the whole of Wednesday evening after getting home from work. And that's the single player game only. God knows what's going to happen when I catch up with my friends who are currently playing on 'Hell' difficulty online.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh?

There is no single player Diablo 3.

There is only multiplayer pn your own, which isn't quite the same thing.

1. L.B.
        Thumb Down

"There is no single player Diablo 3.

There is only multiplayer pn your own, which isn't quite the same thing."

Not having purchased or played the game I'll have to take your word on this, but it is rather stupid of Blizard to not have a true single player mode, which does not require constant internet access.

There are many thousands (millions?) of games players who just like to spend around an hour or so playing games then save and leave it for another time/day/week. These types of players tend to have full time jobs and other responsibilities like families and definately do not live in mum's basement.

For these types of players getting an “error ###” message because; the servers are down, too busy, or the Internet performance dropped due to it being “peak time” are all unacceptable if you only have a short time window to play.

1. tommej
          Trollface

"These types of players tend to have full time jobs and other responsibilities like families and definately do not live in mum's basement."

Yeah! Everyone who plays this game is a basement dweller! None of them have jobs or kids! I'm a special snowflake!!! I dont have time for this SH*T!!

2. quarky

I have Diablo 3. I have put about in about 1.5 - 2 hours a day, since Monday. Not once have I had any problems playing it.

Some people just need to have something to moan about. If you go to the official forums, there are even people "demanding" compensation (yes, real money), because Blizzard made changes to the game.. Incredible.

1. Dave Bennett

Right, so just because you have 'not once had any problems' that means no problems exist?

I've got the game and have only put a few hours in so far, but twice I've not been able to connect so just gave up after half an hour.

I'm not saying it's a big deal, I'm not saying it won't get fixed and I'm not complaining about DRM, I simply don't believe you should force everybody to play this way, and if you do, you'd better be prepared for the backlash.

3. Lamont Cranston

@ L.B.

I don't think there not being an off-line, single player mode is really that big of a deal. I'm a grown-up, with a job and family commitments, so my gaming, such as it is, is pretty casual (I completed Portal, last year!), and I've dealt with this by not purchasing a copy of Diablo III.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The difference between Diablo III and Modern Warfare whatever

is that people will still be playing Diable III in ten years' time.

Heck, people are still playing Diablo II now.

7. Killraven

Not Impressed

Personally I've found D3 to be utterly boring, but I'm mostly chalking that up to the myriad free-to-play model games out there, and just not being all that interested in RPGs anymore. I've put in about 15 hours with it and haven't played for five days now.

Though if D3 had been done with the previous model (LAN play of up to three players with one disk) then I'm certain that I'd be having a great time enjoying it with my kids and some local friends. Just speaking for myself, I get no enjoyment out of grouping up with people I can't see and/or speak with while playing this sort of game. I might as well be partnered with 'bots.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like